American Toddler Dies From Nicotine Poisoning

Posted 12th December 2014 by Dave Cross
On Tuesday, the first reported case of death through ingestion of nicotine liquid occurred in Fort Plain, New York State. The 12 month-old boy accidentally swallowed the unguarded liquid and consequently died in hospital.

Police sergeant Austin Ryan said: “It does appear to be just a tragic accident, the glass bottle containing the liquid nicotine did not have a childproof cap.”

A call was made to the police at 4:06pm, the police found the child unconscious and he was pronounced dead at 5:53pm. No charges have been made against the owner of the nicotine base, believed to be a grand parent of the toddler.

In June, New York state legislature passed a bill to compel all eLiquid bottles to have childproof caps but the bill had not been signed off by the governor who’s office claim not to have received the paperwork.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) says 60mg of liquid nicotine can kill a 68kg adult. Michael Swartz, Volunteer Ambulance Corps, said: “In the case of a child, less than a tablespoon can be a fatal event depending on the concentration of the fluid.”

The only other recorded similar cases are from May 2013, a 30 month-old girl died in Israel after she ingested eLiquid from an electronic cigarette and an adult committed suicide in 2012 by injecting liquid nicotine.

We Vape

Shamefully, anti-smoking advocates have jumped on this tragedy to promote their personal agendas. Judy Rightmyer, director of the Capital District Tobacco-Free Coalition, said: “They are marketing this liquid nicotine in candy and fruit flavours, so they can be appealing to young people. And with no childproof caps on them, they're lethal, as we unfortunately saw.”

 

 

Assemblyman John McDonald added his pennyworth: “If you look at these little bottles they almost look like candy bottles and therefore to a young person it’s attractive. We need to make sure we don’t have any further tragedies, which have been happening.”

 

Pure Eliquids

 

To place this event into perspective, the WHO European Region state that there are 3,000 incidents of children under 14 dying from acute poisoning annually. Of these, they say, children up to two years old are most at risk.

 

The Electronic Cigarette Company

 

WHO figures show that 90% of children are poisoned in the home due to common products including cleaning supplies, alcohol, plants, pesticides, medicines and cosmetics.

The organisation says that parents need to be educated about using child-resistant packaging and safe storage. Vapers need to be mindful of the toxicity of the nicotine contained in eLiquid and store it in suitable containers to protect animals and children.


 Dave Cross
Article by Dave Cross
Freelance writer, physicist, karateka, dog walker
Vapable