The World Vapers’ Alliance (WVA) says it amplifies the voice of vapers around the world and empowers them to make a difference for their communities. “Our members are 23 vapers associations as well as over 14,000 individual vapers from all over the world.”
The launch was attended by a number of vapers around Europe and MEP Peter Liese.
Michael Landl, Director of the World Vapers’ Alliance (1) said: “Vaping has the potential to save 19 million lives in Europe. Tomorrow, the Beating Cancer Committee in the European Parliament (BECA) meets to discuss proposals to reduce the harm caused by smoking tobacco. They have the opportunity to make history and save lives IF they back vaping as a tool to beat smoking. Our message to them is clear - choose science and save lives”.
This report is the beginning of a pivotal year for vapers and public health in Europe. Over the next year, EU policymakers will review the EU’s main legislation on tobacco, the Tobacco Products Directive (TPD). The approach these laws take to vaping will have a huge impact on public health for years to come, in Europe and around the world.
The “Back Vaping. Beat Smoking” campaign mural will be on show at key locations around Brussels, including at the European Parliament, the European Commission, the Atomium and the Palace of Justice. After the Brussels launch, the campaign will visit cities around Europe to encourage vapers and politicians to stand up and take action.
“2021 is a critical year for vaping. We came here today to highlight to MEPs the importance of vaping to fight smoking. We are bringing our message to the EU’s front door, to ensure that every policymaker understands that 19 million lives are on the line. The best way we can beat smoking is to promote vaping as part of public health policies.” Michael Landl concluded.
- The Back Vaping. Beat Smoking campaign hub is available here.
- More detail on how 19 million lives can be saved is available here.
- The report on strengthening Europe in the fight against cancer – towards a comprehensive and coordinated strategy is available here.
- The report assessing the proper application of the rules laid down in the Tobacco Products Directive 2014/40/EU (TPD) across the EU countries was published on 20 May 2021.
- More information on www.worldvapersalliance.com