What's new

Welcome Mesh and Genny Freaks!

I really need to get into coil building. The more I read about it now, the more I feel like I'm missing out. I was looking to start with cotton but then @Jugg1es showed me this thread. It looks a far more interesting concept and from your collective enthusiasm it seems to be the way to go for flavour. Can someone make the leap from stock coils to mesh coils or is it better to do the time and get the experience on cotton first?

@vapemac you can buy the coils as well... several places sell them for use in rebuildables... so if you find building too much faff it is still possible... or if you are at times too lazy or pushed for time
.. I have some simple ones with silica wicks from ages back but am probably going to buy some claptons or other ones that are more complex... I believe there are fellow apes selling them somewhere in the classies if they still are as well

@vapemac you can buy the coils as well... several places sell them for use in rebuildables... so if you find building too much faff it is still possible... or if you are at times too lazy or pushed for time
.. I have some simple ones with silica wicks from ages back but am probably going to buy some claptons or other ones that are more complex... I believe there are fellow apes selling them somewhere in the classies if they still are as well
Someone did mention to me that it was possible to buy premade which would be great for starting off. Something tells me though that I'd like building my own because I quite like putting things together. If you'd asked me three months ago if I'd be interested in building my own it would have been a resounding no. But I'm definately coming round to the idea, especially the more I read up about stuff on here

Someone did mention to me that it was possible to buy premade which would be great for starting off. Something tells me though that I'd like building my own because I quite like putting things together. If you'd asked me three months ago if I'd be interested in building my own it would have been a resounding no. But I'm definately coming round to the idea, especially the more I read up about stuff on here
I make my own coils nowadys but cant get me head around more complex builds and the time they ŕequire... however have seen some of the wires already made... yay... so will be having a go at claptons and the like with that little shortcut just to see what difference they make

I really need to get into coil building. The more I read about it now, the more I feel like I'm missing out. I was looking to start with cotton but then @Jugg1es showed me this thread. It looks a far more interesting concept and from your collective enthusiasm it seems to be the way to go for flavour. Can someone make the leap from stock coils to mesh coils or is it better to do the time and get the experience on cotton first?
You most certainly can. Back when I switched from pre-built coils, genesis was all there was for rtas (or all I knew existed at least). Plus, the newer gennies are several fold easier to build than the early ones. The switch is possible.

They are still a bitch to get right though. No one can tell you in words how tightly to role your mesh (tight but not too tight--ftw does that mean right?), or how to wrap the coil so that it touches the mesh everywhere but doesn't choke it. It's a feeling sort of thing, that comes from trial and error. The steep part of the learning curve is at the start. So be warned: your first attempt is going to be frustrating!

Also you may need some new kit in addition to the genesis atomiser: a mechanical mod is a must, in order to pulse the coil.

Also you may need some new kit in addition to the genesis atomiser: a mechanical mod is a must, in order to pulse the coil.
Ah ok, stupid question incoming. Why must it be a mech? Can you not pulse on a regulated mod?

Hi, that is exactly what I did some 6 weeks back, I used to use a mini nautilus and istick/mini volt and got my first Nextiny clone to start to see if I liked it. You will need some kit, but its not huge I build the coil using a tube mod (a must in my eyes as allows easier coiling), then use my istick to pulse it starting at 8w then go up to 16w to get rid of the hot spots, and the correct ohms. Then transfer to device of my choosing, will admit this is back to a mech mod as definitely my favourite for now.

I have since then got a cotton RTA (Eden Rose V2S) and a dripper (Snapdragon) but that was more to see if I could do cotton and if I liked it. I use the Rose for a few juices that simply taste better on cotton and the dripper is my go to device for when I feel I need a real nic kick. But only do mouth to lung across all.

There are a few threads of when I was first looking at mechs, which evolved in to Nextiny building and some more recent threads just on building a Nextiny so lots of information out there to help.

Top level in terms of kit, I got a tube mod for coiling and was my first mech, the wire, the mesh from stealthvape (200SF, 300 and 0.3 kanthal to start), tweezers (coil master), wire cutters, ohms reader (as regularly check my attys), flame thrower thingy (or if you have a gas stove no need). In hindsight I wish I would of just grabbed one of the new coil master kits as it has it all though I do prefer the tweezers I bought separately, as it has everything in it from a tools perspective. Oh and a ruler, and decent scissors lol plus the batteries and charger for mech mods.

You can read a few of my earlier threads for info if you like:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...newbie-ish-to-genny-or-not-to-genny-or.98939/
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ecigs/threads/first-mech-mod-decisions.99354/ which went from choosing a mech mod to building a nextiny.
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...s/gp-paps-v4-and-nextiny-clone-success.99850/

Would I of changed my journey, no way, mesh is definitely my favourite as now have an authentic Nextiny and In'ax MKIII and love them both!

With all the help and support here you can't go wrong once you have the kit, and its great we now have a place just for us.

I now have my authentics and clones all built to 0.8 to 1 ohms, usually aim for mid point for my mechs and they all work great. Seriously you won't regret it. Though you might get very frustrated on your first few builds (or I spent a whole day, doing everything you shouldn't do lol) but you get there in the end. As @jjde says its a learning curve, but worth it.

Last edited:
Hi, that is exactly what I did some 6 weeks back, I used to use a mini nautilus and istick/mini volt and got my first Nextiny clone to start to see if I liked it. You will need some kit, but its not huge I build the coil using a tube mod (a must in my eyes as allows easier coiling), then use my istick to pulse it starting at 8w then go up to 16w to get rid of the hot spots, and the correct ohms. Then transfer to device of my choosing, will admit this is back to a mech mod as definitely my favourite for now.

I have since then got a cotton RTA (Eden Rose V2S) and a dripper (Snapdragon) but that was more to see if I could do cotton and if I liked it. I use the Rose for a few juices that simply taste better on cotton and the dripper is my go to device for when I feel I need a real nic kick. But only do mouth to lung across all.

There are a few threads of when I was first looking at mechs, which evolved in to Nextiny building and some more recent threads just on building a Nextiny so lots of information out there to help.

Top level in terms of kit, I got a tube mod for coiling and was my first mech, the wire, the mesh from stealthvape (200SF, 300 and 0.3 kanthal to start), tweezers (coil master), wire cutters, ohms reader (as regularly check my attys), flame thrower thingy (or if you have a gas stove no need). In hindsight I wish I would of just grabbed one of the new coil master kits as it has it all though I do prefer the tweezers I bought separately, as it has everything in it from a tools perspective. Oh and a ruler, and decent scissors lol plus the batteries and charger for mech mods.

You can read a few of my earlier threads for info if you like:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...newbie-ish-to-genny-or-not-to-genny-or.98939/
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ecigs/threads/first-mech-mod-decisions.99354/ which went from choosing a mech mod to building a nextiny.
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...s/gp-paps-v4-and-nextiny-clone-success.99850/

Would I of changed my journey, no way, mesh is definitely my favourite as now have an authentic Nextiny and In'ax MKIII and love them both!

With all the help and support here you can't go wrong once you have the kit, and its great we now have a place just for us.

I now have my authentics and clones all built to 0.8 to 1 ohms, usually aim for mid point for my mechs and they all work great. Seriously you won't regret it. Though you might get very frustrated on your first few builds (or I spent a whole day, doing everything you shouldn't do lol) but you get there in the end. As @jjde says its a learning curve, but worth it.
Wow Decson. Extremely informative post there cheers. A few questions if I may? ☺ I think you answered my earlier mech question but just to confirm. It is possible to use a regulated mod for mesh builds but ultimately a mech is better? I ask because at present I don't think I'd feel confident enough in my knowledge to operate a mech safely, plus I wouldn't want to invest in one if I simply can't get to grips with a mesh build. You mention a gas torch, is this for burning residual crap off the mesh? I have a gas stove so i can use that but just out of interest, I still have about a million lighters from my smoking days. Would one of these work too? My third question would be on the ohm meter. If I build on a mod with an inbuilt meter is it safe to rely on this or is a separate ohm meter an absolute must?
Cheers for your help decson. I'll check out your posts. I have previous read @pfvapes journey into mesh building. For now i think I've got alot of research and planning to do and I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Cheers lad.

@vapemac yes a regulated device is fine for a genny. this might sound a bit bad but, sometimes I don't oxidise my mesh properly and my regulated mods register it as a short and won't fire it. If I'm visually happy with the build I stick it on a mech to fire this 'shorted' build as it oxidises the mesh quickly which can negate the short. Not something I'd recommend to anyone though, also it's easier to coil the likes of the nextgen /nextiny and In'ax.
A gas torch is handy but I use the stove, the burning of the mesh is two fold at the building stage. The first part is to burn off the machine oil and the second is to oxidise the mesh, this cuts down the conductivity of the mesh and stops the coil shorting on the mesh. You can use a regulated mod as an ohm meter but I would advise getting one at some point soon.

Back
Top Bottom