Price Per ml
28p
Bought from
http://4drops.co.uk
Type

Sweets cakes and desserts.

Review

Rambling Introduction

I am old. I don’t want to be old and I don’t like to think of myself as old. I want to be thought of as a virile Adonis type….where was I in this senile rambling? Oh yes I am old and grew up at a time when Britain had a serious Welfare State that was focussed on providing decent basics and getting these right. Are you still there? Good. Part of this was the provision of free milk and orange juice to school children and nutritious subsidised hot lunches. Some of the puddings were a true delight. But once in a while they gave us prunes in custard. (There is a tenuous link – see).

We were forced to eat it all (even the butter beans that made me gag), because poor children in Africa, who we were not allowed to send the dinner items we didn’t particularly like, would have been grateful for them: including the prunes. My Nana ate these prunes too. They were soggy things in a sweet syrup with a hard stone in the centre. After a few years of school dinners, they remembered to tell us that we were allowed not to eat the stones in the centre of the prunes…. Still there? My Nan grew fond of these prunes in ‘The War’ apparently (that was the one with Spitfires & Nazis) when sweet things were hard to come by but prunes, in syrup were widely available. And they kept/keep your bowels regular. Which was probably another reason we were given them at school. I will get there soon, honest.

The aforementioned soggy prunes were served up with a delicious vanilla custard, so all was forgiven and the vanilla blended well with the prune syrup. It was the stones that were hard to swallow. This was how I was introduced to prunes. This would have been my only prune reference were it not for some friends Steve & Fay. There is a point to all this waffle, believe it or not.

Steve was in the RAF and both he and Fay were Cordon Bleu chefs of the highest order. Cooking was a shared passion of theirs and they were also very competitive about it. Steve had been stationed almost everywhere, had been almost everywhere and spent a lot of time in mainland Europe. They argued about little except who’d cook what and… at one dinner I was served a tarte. It had a light buttery shortcrust base was filled with a set custard made with real vanilla and had thin slices of brown things that were caremelised in sugar and were - smoked prunes from Germany. And they were delicious…. Nothing like the soggy things in syrup – well the base flavour was but the rest – wonderful. Much more subtle, rounded and complex and with the smoking, a rich and fabulous flavour. I blagged some of these prunes when he went back to Germany for a tour.

When I spotted the Wera Garden smoke with prunes I wanted to try it. Got there..OK in the intervening period the Welfare State has moved into the realms of providing group counselling for lesbian only monocycling jigsaw collectives whilst old ladies freeze to death, but I in my senile way feel I have made some progress in moving towards this review…

So I asked http://4drops.co.uk if I could sample and review the Smoke and Prunes and they said yes.

Waffle Over – the review starts here – Smoke & Prunes (Wera Garden)

I first mixed this at 1.5% and it was too weak. Inawera do good smoke flavour, probably the best, and it was present, with an odd, pleasant flavour slightly muted in the background. After an accelerated steep this was the same, so I upped the ante to a 3% mix. What a transformation – this is a rich smokey vape with a mellow prune flavour and a slight prune like sweetness in the background. The sweetness is subtle – just a hint and it is a very smooth and satisfying vape.

My palate got the smoke in the clouds of vapour this produced and afterwards the lovely adult, subtle, european prune notes emerged and lingered. It’s a good, friendly mellow vape and a great one to try for something a bit different. It is delicious, But to my palate not quite as yummy as the Inawera Smoked Plum which I also sampled and have reviewed and is worthy of more superlatives.

Steeping

I will steep some more, but suspect that this is pretty ready to go from stage one.

Vapour

Loads

Throat hit

Negligible but there s a real smokeyness to this

Value

28p per ml is on the high side for Inawera but at 3% mix with just base the value proposition is a good one.

Use as a mixing ingredient

Things could get interesting J

Effects on tanks and atomizers and any known ‘nasties’

Disclaimer

This concentrate was provided free of charge for trial and review. I have received neither payment nor payment in lieu through goods or services for writing this review. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and made as ‘fair comment’ and the free sample has in no way prejudiced the honesty of this. Please bear in mind that flavour and taste are a very personal thing. This review has not been edited or moderated by the owners or moderators of www.planetofthevapes.co.uk who may or may not agree / disagree with the comments made therein. Prices may include discounts and may have changed since time of purchase. Whilst every effort has been made to be as accurate as possible - Errors and Omissions – Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware).

That is my favourite review ever :) I also love tinned prunes thanks to my granny having them every morning with muesli. When we came to visit I'd start with that, followed by a fry up (with leftover fried potato, yum) then toast to finish. My granny knew how to make breakfast :) thanks for bringing back the memories.

Back
Top Bottom