What's new

Mood Changes Since Starting Vaping

markinchelsea

Initiate
Hey There,

I am a newbie here and I hope everyone is doing great? Ok I wonder if anyone has the same experience that I am currently having. I gave up analogs 6 weeks ago and made the transition to vaping. I had been a 20 a day smoker for over 20 years and thought I would never quit. This is the longest I have ever gave up smoking the longest I lasted for previously was for about 10 days. I have found the transition quite easy since vaping I have had no cravings for cigarettes at all. Though I have noticed the past 2.5 weeks my anxiety and mood has changed a lot. I feel a lot more anxious and uncharacteristically bad tempered. Is this normal during the transition? My nicotine level is 18mg I tried 12mg but I didn't feel as if I was getting a hit from it. I was a Marlboro Light smoker for most of my smoking life too. I think I can handle the anxiety but I feel that I have turned into a bad grouch since vaping when I thought I would be a lot more happier. Anyone else experienced mood changes since they swapped from analogs? Is it still early days maybe?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer me.

Cheers
Mark

20-30 a day for 35 years and I gave up overnight 18 months ago.
I work in the second busiest hospital in the country so stress at work is always high. and yes at times I lose my rag a lot more and swear. so it could well be to do with a lot of the shite that's in cigs that isn't in vape.
im not anxious at all but a grumpy old bastardo yes.

im only using 3mg but the amount I get through a day should sort that out as 30-40ml a day is the norm.

Hey There,

I am a newbie here and I hope everyone is doing great? Ok I wonder if anyone has the same experience that I am currently having. I gave up analogs 6 weeks ago and made the transition to vaping. I had been a 20 a day smoker for over 20 years and thought I would never quit. This is the longest I have ever gave up smoking the longest I lasted for previously was for about 10 days. I have found the transition quite easy since vaping I have had no cravings for cigarettes at all. Though I have noticed the past 2.5 weeks my anxiety and mood has changed a lot. I feel a lot more anxious and uncharacteristically bad tempered. Is this normal during the transition? My nicotine level is 18mg I tried 12mg but I didn't feel as if I was getting a hit from it. I was a Marlboro Light smoker for most of my smoking life too. I think I can handle the anxiety but I feel that I have turned into a bad grouch since vaping when I thought I would be a lot more happier. Anyone else experienced mood changes since they swapped from analogs? Is it still early days maybe?

Cheers
Mark
Well weirdly a lot less anxious. Once I had kids I found smoking really stressful haha, as I had to be outside and didn't want them to see me even then, so would be stressful thinking about the next opportunity and also the dawning time when they'd be old enough to know I smoked just by the smell Etc. Don't have to worry about that now with vaping. :)

Hey there, thanks for your replies :) I am using two Innokin CoolFire IV as my vape tools. I tried the shisha pens a few years ago but I thought the more I spend on gear the more I would be determined to succeed. I am pleased that I have gone for so long without the analogs. Just hate being a lot more stroppy than I used to be.

Hey there, thanks for your replies :) I am using two Innokin CoolFire IV as my vape tools. I tried the shisha pens a few years ago but I thought the more I spend on gear the more I would be determined to succeed. I am pleased that I have gone for so long without the analogs. Just hate being a lot more stroppy than I used to be.
As a general rule, I'd say give it six months. I know that's not much of an answer, but it's enough time for your body to adjust to quitting, I had terrible mouth ulcers for months when I quit for example. If I was a doctor (and I'm not!) the first thing I'd say is has anything else changed in your life, because assuming nicotine withdrawal is not the issue then it's fairly inexplicable. Might just be a waiting game and see if your mood switches back again.

I have become a more annoyed at things ... so much so that I packed my job in a while back as I was sick of the nonsense and I couldn't face sitting in that office with all the BS going on around me. It's a positive thing for me though, I feel that I'm getting annoyed with things I SHOULD be annoyed about and doing something about it. ..... maybe I was too laid back for my own good when I was a smoker, as long as I had some baccy I was happy, kind of like a junkie really.

Hey There,

Cheers
Mark

Some individuals quitting smoking cold turkey are very well known for having a reduced temper threshold and becoming extremely angry or stroppy, (caffeine withdrawal in some people has a similar effect for example, as does withdrawal from many toxins or substances).

It's partly to do with a fluctuation in Serotonin levels caused by acute withdrawal, (currently being discussed here as well for essentially the same reason, Serotonin:.https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/...ssion/threads/bad-dreams.117039/#post-1275791 ), not to mention all sorts of nasty chemicals and toxins in the bloodstream that can make smokers more relaxed when they light up. It's the lack of those toxins causing withdrawal, not a lack of nicotine.

Nicotine is a stimulant, yet smokers immediately reach for a smoke when under increased levels of stress or anxiety, nicotine alone can increase this anxiety or stress. It's not the nicotine that causes the relaxation, it's some of the harmful toxins in tobacco smoke.

You're vaping, so technically your nicotine withdrawal shouldn't be acute as it's essentially being replaced by vaping. I started off on 36mg liquid years ago for example and needed it, but atty's back then weren't capable of producing anywhere near the amount of vapour as modern tanks. (Thankfully I'm now on 3mg :) ). It takes time for many of the other toxins released into your body through smoking to totally flush out. You may simply have reached that point and as those toxins are flushed, it can cause imbalances in naturally occurring chemicals in your system. With most people it passes within a few weeks, but for some who smoked heavily for many years, sometimes it doesn't pass and it can lead to chronic anxiety and stress which for some people can be successfully treated with medication. We're all different, hence the difference in some of the replies you're getting ;).

If it becomes a persistent or chronic issue, ultimately discuss it with your GP. It's not uncommon for some smokers who are quitting to require anti-depressants because of ongoing imbalances in naturally occurring chemicals in the body such as serotonin or dopamine. This doesn't necessarily mean you are clinically depressed, it just means that due to years of smoking strong tobacco, your body may need help adjusting over time.

Good effort for 6 weeks tobacco free :D. It's a very good sign that the vaping is stopping your cravings for tobacco, it's working, so hang in there whilst your body continues to adjust ok bud ;). Don't worry about nic strength right now, stick with the 18mg and make sure you've actually cleared the first hurdle of 100% quitting tobacco. If, as and when that has been achieved, then you can start considering lowering the nic content. Some vendors stock 15mg liquid, so when you start dropping down, you can do it in smaller increments which will have less of a noticeable impact each time you drop :). Don't rush it and end up going backwards ;).

Good luck and hope you stick with the vaping. Any questions, plenty of extremely experienced vapers who can help, the majority of which are ex smokers. Just shout. Welcome to POTV :D.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom