What's new

Easy Peasy Clapton Coil Squeezy

tubes, tubes... after some rummaging in the bits boxes, dragged this:

ce4-tube.jpg

from the guts of an old CE4 (one of only two CE4s than were ever in my possession) & drilled a hole in it. Turns out theres a spring inside, which should be removed *before* you make a great big tangled mess. Ahem.

Got three coils' worth of Clapton out of the second attempt.

How much can you sell them for, with a reasonable profit margin?

2 or 3 quid ish I think, although I've just made one using a bigger tube, 2mm ID and it worked just as well. This tube was only a couple of inches long so they'll be cheaper than the 20 or 30mm I used earlier

tubes, tubes... after some rummaging in the bits boxes, dragged this:

View attachment 55673

from the guts of an old CE4 (one of only two CE4s than were ever in my possession) & drilled a hole in it. Turns out theres a spring inside, which should be removed *before* you make a great big tangled mess. Ahem.

Got three coils' worth of Clapton out of the second attempt.

They about 1.5 or 2mm ID? 2mm works ok

This is too easy

2 or 3 quid ish I think, although I've just made one using a bigger tube, 2mm ID and it worked just as well. This tube was only a couple of inches long so they'll be cheaper than the 20 or 30mm I used earlier

Well for that sort of price I'm def up for one. My frustration level trying to build claptons has boiled over more than once!

I think I love you
Now just produce it as a kit, with the appropriate wire, tube, some kind of fancy pants Allen key lookalike that does the same job and stick it in a nice box and I will give you ten pounds!!

They about 1.5 or 2mm ID? 2mm works ok

This is too easy

Just a little over 2.4mm. The jaws of my guage won't quite reach the main stretch of the inside of the tube, but the narrow post from a Marquis RDA (2.4mm) fits pretty snugly.

This inner diameter is probably about the widest that would work. I found I had to keep the drill speed down, or the thin wire would bundle up inside the tube. Any wider and the tube isn't going to offer any guidance. OTOH, two strands of core wire could probably be wrapped together. Haven't tried yet.

Just a little over 2.4mm. The jaws of my guage won't quite reach the main stretch of the inside of the tube, but the narrow post from a Marquis RDA (2.4mm) fits pretty snugly.

This inner diameter is probably about the widest that would work. I found I had to keep the drill speed down, or the thin wire would bundle up inside the tube. Any wider and the tube isn't going to offer any guidance. OTOH, two strands of core wire could probably be wrapped together. Haven't tried yet.

Ok cool, I've told Mr Tube to hang on a while. I'm thinking 2mm ID tube now and 20mm length just to help control the way the wire whips around the other end

Ok, it works better with a small hole and 2mm tube lets you put the clapton wire through a second time. Is double clapton a thing?

Back
Top Bottom