What's new

"Genuine Batch Tested Batteries"?

18650UK

Postman
I posted on Facebook at the weekend, but i appreciate not everyone on here sees our posts, so i wanted to drop some info here for your guys too :)

"Genuine, batch tested batteries". - What does this mean?

We see it a lot, and sometimes people ask "what does 18650.UK do"?

Its actually a fairly simple (yet very important) process. Each "batch" of batteries has a unique code. After recording the batch numbers received at entry we pull a few cells from each batch, and initially its given a visual inspection. Is the wrap the right colour/texture/transparency? Is the positive post as it should be (number of legs, spacing, tooling marks etc) Is the insulator ring correct for the cell? Do the markings on the wrap and cell body match the control samples we keep? All of these little things can be instant identifiers of counterfeit cells.

If the cell passes the initial visual inspection, its then placed into the queue for performance testing. At 18650.UK we use the WMR CBA IV Pro "Computerised Battery Analyser". You might have spotted the same equipment in some of Mooch's photos. The cells are tested at incrementally increased loads up to their advertised or known CDR. If the results match our control tests and widely available information from other cell testers, at this point they can be considered safe for sale.

What happens if it doesn't meet the criteria? - Thankfully, we've never had this happen, but in the wider industry it does, probably more than is known/publicised and is why vigilance and proper testing is key. We recently received some HG2 cells from a customer who had bought them elsewhere and in testing, they proved not to be what they said they were! Far from it in fact.

What happens to the tested cells from each batch? - Since they would technically be classed as "used" and are often pushed to extremes, we dont consider them fit for sale and are placed into our WEEE bin for collection.

So, next time you see "Batch Tested", ask yourself, is your supplier taking the right steps (or any at all) to ensure battery safety?

If you have any questions about cell testing, battery safety or anything else we do, drop us an email or fire away below.

Ben
18650.UK

Good to hear you batch test - worrying to think some battery vendors might not [emoji15]

Absolutely. With so many counterfeit cells entering the market, its only a matter of time if you're not properly checking. We've seen the appearance of the HG2s being faked again, likely on the back of perceived market shortage due to a drop in production. That said, ive not had any trouble getting them. I have quite a few accumulator builders (boutique e-bike businesses, drones, electric skateboards etc) using them and haven't struggled.

Equally, we see tons of posts each month on forums and Facebook where people are calling businesses out for selling counterfeit cells that actually turn out to be genuine. While diligence is always good, these false claims can literally ruin a business and often its on the back of people jumping on the bandwagon while knowing very little about the production. Sony for instance, outsourced cell manufacture to Murata who switched their tooling and so positive terminal tooling marks changed, as did the case gap, and many people who didn't know started calling businesses out for selling fake cells. Highly unfair!

I know at least that @fogstar have the same test equipment and software that we do, so have all the same test capabilities. For consumer use its probably a bit uneconomical price wise, but its quite a cool piece of kit and not so expensive it would be out of reach for shops to have them if they wanted some extra security.

Ben

I think that it's safe to say that not everyone that sells batteries test them whatsoever.

Reading this thread I just don't think understand how it has taken a turn in the way it has.

@18650UK - reassuring words. It's great to hear that cells are being tested, means people can buy with confidence. (Not meaning they couldn't before this post, just puts minds at rest). [emoji106]

I'll prob come back and clear up this thread shortly, you know, just to get it all back on track. [emoji106]

Cheers at @tobywonkanobi . As you say, was just trying to highlight our internal process for the benefit of members. Didn't anticipate this at all!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom