What's new

What are you going about UK VAT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crustyfolker

Veteran
Hi Fasttech I have a question which i will be asking overseas vendors. Could you tell me and the rest of the forum. If we make a purchase do Fasttech take 20% VAT and pay it to UK customs.
The reason for this question is another company who use the forum had all their UK parcels seized and destroyed for not adhering to the new customs rules in both the UK and the EU. The new UK rules mean 20% vat is payable on the cost of goods and shipping which must be collected by the vendor at point of sale.
If you had made an anouncement previously i must have missed it but if not can you make it clear to us UK folk who may be thinking of making a purchase or just want to know for a later date.
Thanks for your time.

Matt

Last order I made was just over 3mth ago and there was no vat taken by ft. the order was under 11$ or around £7 ish so not sure if vat was tobe added on or not.

I know aliexpress add vat no matter how much your order amount is even a quid and vat will be added on

Last order I made was just over 3mth ago and there was no vat taken by ft. the order was under 11$ or around £7 ish so not sure if vat was tobe added on or not.

vat.JPG

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-located-outside-the-uk-at-the-point-of-sale

That's the point all goods to have VAT payed at the point of sale. If vendors are not taking the VAT they are breaking the law, when the goods reach UK they get seized and destroyed. As mentioned Sourcemore are the latest to add VAT, this came due to a load of parcels with no VAT payed getting destroyed. It must of cost enough to warrent them to start taking and paying VAT. Everzon also recently started to take VAT.
There is no longer a £15 limit before VAT is taken.

This VAT Lark is one of the reason's i don't shop overseas , that and being too impatient. Somebody posted a comment a while ago saying that it's just as cheap now to shop here in the UK. They aren't wrong and remember your supporting British Business. Saying that some of the vendors over here charge ridiculous prices for things so it can work both ways.

This VAT Lark is one of the reason's i don't shop overseas , that and being too impatient. Somebody posted a comment a while ago saying that it's just as cheap now to shop here in the UK. They aren't wrong and remember your supporting British Business. Saying that some of the vendors over here charge ridiculous prices for things so it can work both ways.

Thats todays problem, Greed. Some companies want to make a living and have competitive prices, others are taking the Michael, those sites i don't know how they survive. I guess some folks click the first link and buy without comparing prices.
it was possibly me about prices being similar, we get about $1.35 for a quid at the moment, apposed to $1.50 when i began vaping we only got $1.05 while Trump was in charge, so 20% of that is 21cents, which then covers VAT. So in truth we are no worse off than we where 2 year ago. Except the pandemic caused costs to rise and here we are often cheaper to buy UK, thats if you don't mind waiting for the next thing and paying less for it a couple of months later when the next thing comes out.
Impatience i don't get that. Time just flies by the older you get so waiting a week or 2 isn't really that bad, i could understand it if someone nicked all your vape gear and you needed the new one to vape now.
UK or foreign i have no preferance as long as they want less of my money than anyone else. The Bank of me is more important than the bank of anyone else. I support those making the least profit as they are making a living not a killing.
The good thing from my point of view is i am spending far less on vape gear which gives me time to enjoy what i have got . Certainly have to agree it works both ways.

I don't know what it is when it comes to waiting for things, i just hate it. When i was a kid at Xmas my Brothers and Sister didn't mind waiting till Xmas Morning but i used to get into trouble sneaking about trying to get them early lol. I have always been the same. When i know something is coming i am looking out of the Window for the Postman or Delivery Van, i just can't control it.

I have made several orders from Fasttech this year, all made after the change to VAT regulations - and none of my orders had any VAT added to the price.

My last order was made in June. Comparing items I have bought previously to current prices it appears Fasttech have increased their prices by around 7% to 9% in the last year. This is obviously much less than the 20% VAT they should be collecting - there is also no VAT added if you put an item in your cart and go through as far as the 'pay now' final click.

I'm convinced Fasttech have done absolutely nothing with regards to VAT, but to get a definitive answer you would need to open a ticket with them. I seriously doubt you will get an answer from them on a UK forum as I suspect they don't want to openly acknowledge that any UK buyer could get hit with VAT and handling fees, have their order returned to China or have their stuff impounded/destroyed.

Personally I have given up on Fasttech. I use AliExpress occasionally, and I will now consider Sourcemore but if I don't know for sure that a foreign business is including VAT I avoid them - I don't need the hassle.

Quite amusing to note the only people not responding are those you'd most like to hear from, everything else means nothing.

Caveat emptor, as always.

$25 tank ordered from FT just got here, took three weeks (free postage). No VAT added, valued at $15 on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom