What's new

Wear masks on public transport and in shops

Who is supplying these masks to the public ?
Have the public to fork out themselves ?
Seems like someone maybe on a nice little earner.
I get mine from the mask vendor when he comes around once a week. Puts his jingle on so I can here him coming just like the ice cream van. Don't you have a vendor that comes around your way?

Hang on, I think it might have been a dream.

Last edited:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/06/do-face-masks-help-studies-leaning-towards-yes/

And this from the comments - last 2 lines particularly salient:

Much of the debate about masks has to do with how COVID-19 is transmitted. Is it respiratory droplets, the larger spit particles that land on a surface, where they are picked up and brought to the eyes, nose of mouth of its next victim, or is the primary transmission via inhaled aerosols?

You can deduce this from the R0 for a disease.

The R0 for an aerosol transmitted disease like the measles is incredibly high: 12-18. The R0 for COVID-19 is much lower: 2-6.

The simple fact that social distancing works in limiting the spread of COVID-19 shows its primary means of transportation is respiratory droplets. Aerosols have a larger range, and respiratory droplets are drawn down by gravity much quicker.

Wearing a face mask will decrease the likelihood you will infect somebody with your respiratory droplets, assuming you wear the mask correctly. A good non-medical mask will capture up to 2/3rds of the respiratory droplets a COVID-19 carrier will produce.

Important to note: wearing a mask will not protect you from getting an infection by respiratory droplets unless everybody always correctly wears a mask. The mask is no protection for the primary route in, only for the primary route out for the infection.

The mask protects other people.

Because of that, you still need to keep your distance, wash your hands, don't touch your face etcetera. That is how the infection gets in.​

Can be home-made, and I think that's why it's 'face-coverings' not 'masks'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52930245

OK sorted now but i may get some funny looks.
upload_2020-6-5_15-48-46.png

Back
Top Bottom