What's new

New Covid strain spreading across the UK that's less likely to cause symptoms

Mitz

Super Moderator
Staff member
New Covid strain spreading across the UK that's less likely to cause symptoms.

A new strain of Covid-19 which may cause less symptomatic cases is spreading across the UK.

The Delta variant strain AY.4.2 is said to be a more infectious strain and accounted for around 12% of samples gathered in a recent Government study, which ran up to November 5.

Cases of the sub-variant are spreading quickly across the UK, growing at 2.8% a day.

It is thought to be 10 to 15% more infectious than other Delta variants, paving the way for it to become the dominant strain in the UK in several months.

On a more positive note, early research suggests that it may be less likely to cause symptomatic cases than previous iterations.

Symptoms such as loss or change of smell or taste, a fever, or a new persistent cough appeared in a third of AY.4.2 cases, while the number stands at 46.3% of AY.4 original Delta strain cases.

The new sub-variant also doesn't seem to make vaccines any less effective.

Christl Donnelly, professor of statistical epidemiology at Imperial College London, believes the new strain is more infectious than the common Delta variant.

Professor Paul Elliott of Imperial told The i: “We’re not sure why AY.4.2 might be associated with less symptomatic infection, but that might give it a transmission advantage as people carrying AY.4.2. are less likely to know that (as more of them will be asymptomatic)."

Professor Moritz Gerstung, a virologist at the University of Heidelberg, said genomic sequencing had now identified a further offshoot of AY.4.2 – called AY.4.2.1.

It accounts for between 1 and 4% of coronavirus -1>coronavirus samples in England, and may be 1% more infectious than AY.4.2.

It also does not appear to be able to escape the vaccines.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-covid-strain-symptoms-coronavirus-22233410

interesting. is this related to what they were talking about with it becoming endemic a while ago? that over the course of time it’s everywhere and we all come into contact with it, but the variants that become dominant are also less dangerous?

Symptoms such as loss or change of smell or taste, a fever, or a new persistent cough appeared in a third of AY.4.2 cases, while the number stands at 46.3% of AY.4 original Delta strain cases.

So, what are the symptoms of the new variant then, for the majority? I mean I already know, but they haven't said :hmm:

The new sub-variant also doesn't seem to make vaccines any less effective.
It also does not appear to be able to escape the vaccines.

Speculation, perhaps understandably, as they don't know (yet). I believe this new strain is the one I caught and also gave to my wife, again speculation, how can I possibly know, if they don't know. Can they tell from individual PCR tests, are they monitoring that aspect - the strain you've caught :hmm:

Whatever the fuck strain I've caught it's alien, day 22, based on my first positive LFT. I believe I had it up to 7 days prior, I was actually quite ill then, and merely thought I'd been drinking too much and doing too much hard manual work. Regardless I'm still totally knackered whereas my wife is doing well, and is now free of house arrest and has only minor fatigue right now :)

interesting. is this related to what they were talking about with it becoming endemic a while ago? that over the course of time it’s everywhere and we all come into contact with it, but the variants that become dominant are also less dangerous?

My (probably flawed) understanding is that mutations are copying errors and therefore random. It's not like recombination where two viruses intentionally swap stuff. By that logic, a virus could become more dangerous as easily as it could become less dangerous?

Personally, I struggle to believe it's that simple and something more isn't going on. Doesn't evolution teach us that life tries to find a way? No, I'm not getting in to a discussion on whether viruses are actually "alive". Lol But many of those who know were concerned long ago that mass vaccination, if not done right, could put evolutionary pressure on the virus and cause mutations. How, if it's only random errors?

Surely a viruses purpose is to infect, replicate, reinfect. Isn't that born out by the constant increase of transmissibility of virtually every variant? Haven't seen a less transmissible variant come out yet, have we? Evolution is about adaption, right?

Was chatting to a doctor the other day and he echoed what I've heard repeatedly from medical professionals; Covid will become no different to the flu. There'll be new versions of it, vaccinations will go on, it'll mostly take the old, and if we're really lucky over time it'll become less harmful.

But like most things in life, there's rarely any guarantees?

Last edited:
So, what are the symptoms of the new variant then, for the majority? I mean I already know, but they haven't said :hmm:

Speculation, perhaps understandably, as they don't know (yet). I believe this new strain is the one I caught and also gave to my wife, again speculation, how can I possibly know, if they don't know. Can they tell from individual PCR tests, are they monitoring that aspect - the strain you've caught :hmm:

Whatever the fuck strain I've caught it's alien, day 22, based on my first positive LFT. I believe I had it up to 7 days prior, I was actually quite ill then, and merely thought I'd been drinking too much and doing too much hard manual work. Regardless I'm still totally knackered whereas my wife is doing well, and is now free of house arrest and has only minor fatigue right now :)
Glad to hear wifey's good mate. :hugs:

All I know is that the UK is world leading on strain testing and detecting. :)

Glad to hear wifey's good mate. :hugs:

cheers mate :2thumbsup:

All I know is that the UK is world leading on strain testing and detecting. :)

I thought Israel or a Scandinavian country was leading in that regard. it doesn't matter either way, as a covid sufferer it's opened my eyes (as well as fucking them up even more, which they were to start with anyway), covid attacks all your weaknesses, I don't think that is discussed enough in the public domain, outside of the standard , vulnerable, highly vulnerable, preexisting medical condition patients. You've no doubt seen stories of muscle men and super fit yoga-ed up women falling foul of covid and even dying.

I believe the combination of covid, also when combined with double vaccines is causing / will cause hideous long term effects for fit people, covid is more mutant than even I realised. The experimental drugs that are the vaccines, well, some of my covid symptoms have been exactly the same as some of the vax side effects I suffered, it's perverted, all of it. Yes, I'm ranting, because right now I'm fucked physically, and mentally it is also taking it's toll.

cheers mate :2thumbsup:

I thought Israel or a Scandinavian country was leading in that regard. it doesn't matter either way, as a covid sufferer it's opened my eyes (as well as fucking them up even more, which they were to start with anyway), covid attacks all your weaknesses, I don't think that is discussed enough in the public domain, outside of the standard , vulnerable, highly vulnerable, preexisting medical condition patients. You've no doubt seen stories of muscle men and super fit yoga-ed up women falling foul of covid and even dying.

I believe the combination of covid, also when combined with double vaccines is causing / will cause hideous long term effects for fit people, covid is more mutant than even I realised. The experimental drugs that are the vaccines, well, some of my covid symptoms have been exactly the same as some of the vax side effects I suffered, it's perverted, all of it. Yes, I'm ranting, because right now I'm fucked physically, and mentally it is also taking it's toll.
Thing is mate, if it hit you like that after being double jabbed I'd hate to think if you weren't.

The whole point of the vaccines is to prime your immune response for a much faster recognition and reaction so your body isn't totally overrun before it gets a chance to fight back.

I know it's apples and oranges but I think it's valid as bacteria and viruses both replicate at crazy rates....

I went through maybe 2 or 3 years in the naughties where I got chest infections literally every few months (self inflicted lung abuse). If I nipped it in the bud and got antibiotics quick it cleared up straight away. On a few occasions I dawdled and put it off for whatever reason. When I did, it totally destroyed me. Started to turn in to pneumonia or pleurisy and I'd either need IV antibiotics or multiple weeks of oral antibiotics.

How long was it they said it *could* take before you start getting symptoms after infection from Covid? 10 days or something? That's a long bloody time at the rate of viral replication and only the start. And no antibiotic type drugs to get it under control.

So, although I'm not keen on a booster (still undecided) I'm 100% pro vaccine. But the same shoe never fits everyone. :)

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-th...-sequencing-the-coronavirusgenome-11612011601

Last edited:
Thing is mate, if it hit you like that after being double jabbed I'd hate to think if you weren't.

I agree, I think I might've been quickly finished.

How long was it they said it *could* take before you start getting symptoms after infection from Covid? 10 days or something? That's a long bloody time at the rate of viral replication and only the start. And no antibiotic type drugs to get it under control.

14 days originally, the 10 day thing is a double jabbed adaptation to do with opening up/ freedom day. FWIW i think the intention is that we all will need to catch covid, you said yourself the other day, the vaccines were a necessary rush job, they can only do so much, until a better one comes along. There are inherent dangers all over the place, no point in locking down now though, after months of mass transmission, it would all be for nothing.

I agree, I think I might've been quickly finished.

14 days originally, the 10 day thing is a double jabbed adaptation to do with opening up/ freedom day. FWIW i think the intention is that we all will need to catch covid, you said yourself the other day, the vaccines were a necessary rush job, they can only do so much, until a better one comes along. There are inherent dangers all over the place, no point in locking down now though, after months of mass transmission, it would all be for nothing.
Yeah, for sure. Only reason I could see a very limited lockdown / restrictions coming now is if the NHS gets seriously overrun over the winter months.

Our response is, and will continue to improve as we adapt to the virus, just as it adapts to us.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/ast...cent-effective-at-preventing-covid-trial.html

I've heard but don't know how true it is that the majority of people who are hit hard with covid have very low vitimin D3 and B12 levels.
Even though I am outside a fair bit I've upped my D3 and B12 intake with supplements and also taking K2 to stop calcium build up in my arteries due to the increased D3.
So far in the 2 year's this virus has been flying around, I haven't had a sniff of it. Whether it's the pills or I've just been lucky I don't know.

Mutant strains can fuck off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom