What's new

Free rapid lateral flow coronavirus home test kits available in England

Thank you.
I managed to obtain an anti body test kit but it's going to take a couple of weeks to get here but my first vaccination is booked for this Saturday so guess now I'll never know if I've had it or not (asymptomatic).
They should maybe do the anti body test before the vaccination see how much natural immunity there is out there.

Ordered today for me and my family. As all staff are family members in the same bubble, I would have to close if we got any positive results between us. We have been tested all through the lockdown as we have a test center just around the corner. We have been lucky so far. Even though I don't think Covid was around until Jan 2020, I am pretty sure that me and my wife had it at Christmas 2019. Both had classic symptoms. Thankyou for the link, very useful.

They should maybe do the anti body test before the vaccination see how much natural immunity there is out there.

I'd be game for that, I was the illest I'd ever been in December 2019, just as Covid was popping up in China, I'm 50/50 on wether it was Covid or not. I know exactly who gave it to me too & will never forget the thoughtless cow.

Left work, last day before the Christmas break, walked into Aldi to get the Christmas supplies & notice some woman in there hacking her lungs up, so obviously, I do all I can to avoid her. Few minutes later, I'm stood looking for my cheese, hear the cough & she's stood two foot away to my right. FFS.

Christmas day, had a drink, felt rough on Boxing day as you'd expect. Then still feel terrible the 27th, aching all over, headache, on my ass, thinking this is some hangover. Then the cough starts. New Year's eve, I'm dead on the sofa. 7th January, my birthday, I'm still rough but on the mend. Month or so later, all the Covid stuff starts. Still think it was an horrendous cold, was checking my temperature for flu & it was fine but I've never been that ill. All the colds & chest infections over the years from smoking were never that bad

After all this ends, I'm still up for masks in supermarkets & sanitising

Anyway, if you've skipped that little story, I've ordered some tests

Senior government officials have raised “urgent” concerns about the mass expansion of rapid coronavirus testing, estimating that as few as 2% to 10% of positive results may be accurate in places with low Covid rates, such as London.

Boris Johnson last week urged everyone in England to take two rapid-turnaround tests a week in the biggest expansion of the multibillion-pound testing programme to date. However, leaked emails seen by the Guardian show that senior officials are now considering scaling back the widespread testing of people without symptoms, due to a growing number of false positives.

In one email, Ben Dyson, an executive director of strategy at the health department and one of health secretary Matt Hancock’s advisers, stressed the “fairly urgent need for decisions” on “the point at which we stop offering asymptomatic testing”.

On 9 April, the day everyone in England was able to order twice-weekly lateral flow device (LFD) tests, Dyson wrote: “As of today, someone who gets a positive LFD result in (say) London has at best a 25% chance of it being a true positive, but if it is a self-reported test potentially as low as 10% (on an optimistic assumption about specificity) or as low as 2% (on a more pessimistic assumption).”

He added that the department’s executive committee, which includes Hancock and the NHS test and trace chief, Dido Harding, would soon need to decide whether requiring people to self-isolate before a confirmatory PCR test “ceases to be reasonable” in low infection areas where there is a high likelihood of a positive result being wrong.

The accuracy of rapid coronavirus tests and how they should be deployed have been the focus of months of debate in the UK. The proportion of false positives – people incorrectly told they have the virus – increases when the prevalence of the disease falls. This happens because although the number of true positives is falling, the tests produce roughly the same number of false positives – meaning the proportion of incorrect results becomes greater.

It means thousands of people could be wrongly told to self-isolate and miss out on earnings or education due to inaccurate results. The government has advised anyone who tests positive with a rapid test to take a follow-up PCR test and self-isolate until they receive a negative result – but some experts have said this process is too slow and that a second lateral flow test would be as likely to produce the correct result.

Figures produced by government officials estimate that currently only one in 10 positive results are likely to be accurate in London and south-east and south-west England, where there is less Covid-19 in circulation. In England as a whole, they estimate that only 38% of self-reported tests are thought to be accurate, based on the current prevalence of the disease. The Guardian has also learned that Public Health England (PHE) raised concerns about the plan for mass testing, days before it was announced on 5 April.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...gland-may-be-scaled-back-over-false-positives

neg.JPG

Back
Top Bottom