What's new

Endemic covid

it seems this is the way it needs to be thought about now given that the vaccines can’t fully prevent transmission any more.

They never did fully prevent transmission though? Just a worse case scenario insurance policy - less deaths, less transmission and less hospitalisation?

They never did fully prevent transmission though? Just a worse case scenario insurance policy - less deaths, less transmission and less hospitalisation?

no, they were shown to have good prevention against transmission prior to the delta variant. 90 odd % i think, but with delta it is about 50% according to dr john. edited to add: his info is coming from oxford pollard.

no, they were shown to have good prevention against transmission prior to the delta variant. 90 odd % i think, but with delta it is about 50% according to dr john. edited to add: his info is coming from oxford pollard.

Wouldn't surprise me to see another powerful variant, from Australia or New Zealand perhaps, because they're playing catch up and haven't had anything like the amount of cases elsewhere (yet), per x amount of population?

Covid is weird, I don't think it's from nature, I think it's man made, but I cant back that up.

That's an interesting summary - I hadn't checked in with him since the beginning of the pandemic

He was one of the first to raise the Vit D thing - I've been mainlining it for years to prevent Alzheimer's. My girlfriend and I got Covid two weeks ago. I didn't realise I had it. I had a neck/head ache for an afternoon. The next day my girlfriend had the same symptoms, which progressed into flu-like symptoms. She had positive lateral flow and PCR tests. I had negative lateral flow, but just assumed I was positive - and we both isolated.

As as asthmatic, I've been dreading catching it, had my vaccines early etc. So I was surprised to get it so mild. Been tired for a fortnight, bit of mental fug.

Anecdotally, I think this shows the importance of Vit D

And the poor sods who either can't be vaccinated or for whom it doesn't work. :(

But they can still gauge from hospitalisation tests and figures, I guess?
Whilst I wouldn't chartacterise myself as a "poor sod":hmm:, I do have mixed feelings re the vaccine. Given the stroke my wee bro had after his first dose, it convinced me not to take it, however, they wouldn't vaccinate me anyway, given the nature my heart issues. But I do worry about the inevitable restrictions the refusenicks will face down the line. It's only early days, but already (esp in Scotland) there are restrictions on the freedom of those who (for whatever reason) are not covered. If the non vaccinated do present a risk to those who have been vaccinated, where do those unable to be vaccinated stand? Should we just take it and shoulder the risk out of pure altruism (am a Capricorn bereft of a single altruistic bone)

That's an interesting summary - I hadn't checked in with him since the beginning of the pandemic

He was one of the first to raise the Vit D thing - I've been mainlining it for years to prevent Alzheimer's. My girlfriend and I got Covid two weeks ago. I didn't realise I had it. I had a neck/head ache for an afternoon. The next day my girlfriend had the same symptoms, which progressed into flu-like symptoms. She had positive lateral flow and PCR tests. I had negative lateral flow, but just assumed I was positive - and we both isolated.

As as asthmatic, I've been dreading catching it, had my vaccines early etc. So I was surprised to get it so mild. Been tired for a fortnight, bit of mental fug.

Anecdotally, I think this shows the importance of Vit D

he’s quite good, i’ve been checking his videos when i can since i saw him posted on here (i think it might have been @Simon G ?). been taking vitamin d as well, also since it was talked about on a thread on here, funnily enough. it makes sense, even if it just means less likelihood of bad flu symptoms. i’ve also been getting significantly less exercise what with working from home so trying to do what i can.

Whilst I wouldn't chartacterise myself as a "poor sod":hmm:, I do have mixed feelings re the vaccine. Given the stroke my wee bro had after his first dose, it convinced me not to take it, however, they wouldn't vaccinate me anyway, given the nature my heart issues. But I do worry about the inevitable restrictions the refusenicks will face down the line. It's only early days, but already (esp in Scotland) there are restrictions on the freedom of those who (for whatever reason) are not covered. If the non vaccinated do present a risk to those who have been vaccinated, where do those unable to be vaccinated stand? Should we just take it and shoulder the risk out of pure altruism (am a Capricorn bereft of a single altruistic bone)

the SG has said that people with valid medical reasons for not getting the vaccine will be exempt from the passport thing.

if what dr john is saying in the video above turns out to be right, i don’t really see the point of it. if everyone is going to be exposed, and vaccinated people can still catch and transmit it (even if it’s only half as likely) the worry about unvaccinated people, as far as i can see, should be about them catching it and getting severely ill, and that’s a call for each person to make for themselves really.

i wonder if they are doing it partly as a way to encourage refusers to get the vaccine. the greens are now supporting it after being strongly opposed, for example. this could explain why.

he’s quite good, i’ve been checking his videos when i can since i saw him posted on here (i think it might have been @Simon G ?). been taking vitamin d as well, also since it was talked about on a thread on here, funnily enough. it makes sense, even if it just means less likelihood of bad flu symptoms. i’ve also been getting significantly less exercise what with working from home so trying to do what i can.

Yeah, I started watching him when I just couldn't deal all the different views and opinions, so I just decided to only watch/listen to him and hope that he knew what he was talking about. :) I can do without the hysterics and conspiracies and he seemed like a fairly calm and sensible person.

I usually take Vit D during the winter anyway (on my doctors advice) so I just decided to carry on over the summer as I didn't want mine to drop while I would usually be getting a lot more sun. Then there were reports of many people in hospital with low Levels.

The thing is, what is the point of a 'vaccine passport' if the vaccine only gives a 50% level of protection against transmission? If the Delta virus is supposed to be 4x more easily transmitted than the earlier strains, then it's still twice as likely to be transmitted as it was last year ....... even with a vaccine? Or is that blonde maths? :D

On that basis, you could also argue that the vaccinated present a greater risk to the non-vaccinated, and that vaccination is about self-protection?

None of which helps if you don't have a choice, I know.

The thing is, what is the point of a 'vaccine passport' if the vaccine only gives a 50% level of protection against transmission? If the Delta virus is supposed to be 4x more easily transmitted than the earlier strains, then it's still twice as likely to be transmitted as it was last year ....... even with a vaccine? Or is that blonde maths? :D

On that basis, you could also argue that the vaccinated present a greater risk to the non-vaccinated, and that vaccination is about self-protection?

None of which helps if you don't have a choice, I know.
Simply on the balance of probabilities right now, trying to avoid the virus is my least risky option, but I don't want to be shut out of the world for doing so:sleepy:

if what dr john is saying in the video above turns out to be right, i don’t really see the point of it. if everyone is going to be exposed, and vaccinated people can still catch and transmit it (even if it’s only half as likely) the worry about unvaccinated people, as far as i can see, should be about them catching it and getting severely ill, and that’s a call for each person to make for themselves really.

"Protect the NHS"?
Yeah yea i know bla bla but if the difference is either a hard slog and bed sweats at home (vaccinated) or a stint in hospital exposing all those who have to treat and care for the patient (unvaccinated) then i think there's more to think about than ones self?

Back
Top Bottom