What's new

Covid19 and Vitamin D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nope 4000iu or 100ug
Totally safe to take that dose to get your blood serum levels up. Some people take 10000iu.
I'm taking 4000iu a day and will be until spring. Then I'll stop as i spend a lot of time outdoors and am in reasonably good health. If that is the end of this pandemic I may supplement in the winter but at a lower dose.

Taking 4000iu seems incredibly excessive to me but I'm not a doctor and you should always take what a doctor says over some guy on an Internet forum. But if adults only need 400iu a day then taking a supplement of 400iu should be ample as you will still be getting some vitamin D from other sources, sun and food - even in winter months. Even if you eat nothing and live in a dark basement 24/7 taking a 400iu supplement should give you enough vitamin D. Taking 10x that dose on a daily basis, to me at least, seems unnecessary. IMHO, taking any supplement in excess is never a good thing. I would be very weary about taking 10x the daily recommended dose of anything but that's me and each to their own. If that dose works for you guys - cool. That's all that matters at the end of the day. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I take 25ug, that's what I was recommended by my doctor, I'm not sure what that means... but it's less than 4,000.

I take 25ug, that's what I was recommended by my doctor, I'm not sure what that means... but it's less than 4,000.
25ug is 1000iu. They're taking quadruple that daily.

25ug is 1000iu. They're taking quadruple that daily.

Seems a lot to me then too, I was only advised to take this over winter too. Because I was showing quite a high deficiency in my blood test. Over the summer I don't usually take it at all. I really should get myself tested again as this was years ago too.

upload_2020-9-28_21-31-57.png

As it says there don't consume for than 4,000 IU, so if you are supplementing 4,000, then how can you eat anything?

Seems a lot to me then too, I was only advised to take this over winter too. Because I was showing quite a high deficiency in my blood test. Over the summer I don't usually take it at all. I really should get myself tested again as this was years ago too.
Sounds like a lot to me for sure but everyone should always follow the advice of their doctor first and foremost. But without a doctors advice I would always advise people to follow official guidelines which in the UK is given by the NHS and PHE which both recommend 10 micrograms or 400iu daily.

As it says there don't consume for than 4,000 IU, so if you are supplementing 4,000, then how can you eat anything?
Think thats part of the problem.
Although there is vitamin D in some foods like eggs and oily fish you dont get enough from food alone.
Most vitamin D comes from sunlight and the bodys ability to absorb or get it differs from person to person. Not really sure how it works but the sun is key.
I must be poor at extracting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom