What's new

after life

Never watched any of it. Will have to check it out now.

Oh, you should.. the first series of 'afterlife' is one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen. Beautifully written, wonderfully acted. It's sad, comforting, hilarious and thought provoking all at the same time.

It's not long either, we watched the whole first series in one evening.

tbh i think its the worst thing hes ever done , yes it has some funny bits but fuck me how many videos does he have of his dead wife .
weve all lost loved ones but that doesnt give you a excuse to be a cunt to people .

Its all an act for the camera!. With out that he will be a different person in real life. take it all with a pinch of salt :)

tbh i think its the worst thing hes ever done , yes it has some funny bits but fuck me how many videos does he have of his dead wife .
weve all lost loved ones but that doesnt give you a excuse to be a cunt to people .

I don't think that was the intended message... that 'losing a loved one gives you an excuse to be a cunt to people'

that isn't what I took from it anyway.

I don't think that was the intended message... that 'losing a loved one gives you an excuse to be a cunt to people'

that isn't what I took from it anyway.

No that's not the message but you can't deny for the best part of three series he is a miserable horrible cunt and treats people like shit

Grief affects people differently though and as its something I see on a daily basis in my work role I can honestly say that the character he is portraying is quite common many , but men mostly cover up their loss and loneliness , frailty by being angry towards others they often dont realize it at the time but Ive been called many things over the years then often became best of friends later on

I think this was meant to be more a drama with some comedy and you would be surprised how much footage of lost loved ones including pets is stored and watched on a daily basis especially people left alone during the pandemic with just a laptop or phone for company
Hes an Atheist and a humanist who is against pointless wasted time and energy as well as anger towards humans and animals in the little time you have so its unsurprising that some of his characters are the same cunts he despises :)

Im a bit of a fanboy tough lol and think he hit the mark with after life covering a difficult subject but the final series I think was rushed probably due to the pandemic
Didnt think much of his pop group Seona Dancing :17:but do love his serious talks thoughts about life and his beliefs with Richard Dawkins or his live feeds during isolation etc
His first "comedy" reporter character on the 11oclock show way back was a bit of a cunt too but he got sacked to make way for Sacha Noam Baron Cohens Ali G charachter hes so much more than a comedy writer or his characters a very clever bloke imho with many strings

"Im doing a100 people survey for family fortunes game show , Les Dennis wants it more topical
What thing makes someone like John Majors son collapse at a nightclub
Who wants to be a millionaire winner kicked a puppy to death so whats the biggest animal you could ever kick to death"

Last edited:
Grief affects people differently though and as its something I see on a daily basis in my work role I can honestly say that the character he is portraying is quite common many , but men mostly cover up their loss and loneliness , frailty by being angry towards others they often dont realize it at the time but Ive been called many things over the years then often became best of friends later on

I think this was meant to be more a drama with some comedy and you would be surprised how much footage of lost loved ones including pets is stored and watched on a daily basis especially people left alone during the pandemic with just a laptop or phone for company
Hes an Atheist and a humanist who is against pointless wasted time and energy as well as anger towards humans and animals in the little time you have so its unsurprising that some of his characters are the same cunts he despises :)

Im a bit of a fanboy tough lol and think he hit the mark with after life covering a difficult subject but the final series I think was rushed probably due to the pandemic
Didnt think much of his pop group Seona Dancing :17:but do love his serious talks thoughts about life and his beliefs with Richard Dawkins or his live feeds during isolation etc
His first "comedy" reporter character on the 11oclock show way back was a bit of a cunt too but he got sacked to make way for Sacha Noam Baron Cohens Ali G charachter hes so much more than a comedy writer or his characters a very clever bloke imho with many strings

"Im doing a survey for family fortunes game show ,
What thing makes someone collapse at a nightclub
Whats the biggest animal you could ever kick to death"

dont get me wrong , im not knocking ricky gervais . i think hes great . ive been to see him live and seen all the tv stuff hes done . listened to all his podcasts and all the radio shows - i doubt theres any stuff hes done i havent seen or heard.
im not saying it might not be a realistic version of some peoples grief but personally thats not something i find entertaining to watch ( saying that i did watch all 3 series) . i didnt particulary like his character and found the other characters in it far more watchable.

im just trying to say i didnt find it as good as his other stuff which to me is far better - each to their own

Just for contrast, I liked him on the 11o/c show and have hated him in every comedy thing he's done since.

Just for contrast, I liked him on the 11o/c show and have hated him in every comedy thing he's done since.
well O.K lol but as this is the non negative "Positive Vibes" "THE GOOD STUFF" forum area I was just trying to stick within the rules and spread some love love for Ricky he needs love too :18:

This space is for "POSITIVE VIBES The Good Stuff"The rules are very simple; Keep it positive
So with that in mind Ricky Gervais is a genius After Life is brilliant and I love him and everything he has done to bits :18::18:

And yeah the eleven oclock show was brilliant for its time also started the career of Ali G and Daisy Donavon political reporter who asked Dennis Healy if hed give her or Margaret Thatcher a pearl necklace on the houses of parliament lawn amongst other stuff :14:

Last edited:
Love this show, good and somewhat realistic ending i must say.

Back
Top Bottom