What's new

Review Fogstar Wrap Repair Kit Bundle

Simon G

Olympian
I bought this kit with my own pennies. I was not asked, and received no incentive of any kind, to write this review. I don't even usually buy my batteries from Fogstar. :D

This is what I'm reviewing.

https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/wrap-repair-kit-bundle-20-wraps-4-designs

... and these are my own genuine thoughts and experiences, buying and using the kit.

We all (should) know the importance of keeping battery wraps in perfect condition and some of mine have started to look a little tatty. Nothing too serious but there were a few slight nicks at the bottom of the negative end and I could see that if I didn't do something about it they could start creeping up the sides of the case. That could be seriously dangerous, especially in a series mod when one of the cans become positive, right next to a negative can.

Anyway, I have some plain ones that I got from FT years ago, but I fancied trying something a little different. I've always thought those ODB wraps were extortionate for what they were and while there are some fun looking ones on ebay I didn't really want to risk getting a poor product that wasn't fit for purpose.

So I started looking around and found this kit Fogstar, £5.99 for 20 wraps, 4 different designs (I really loved the owl one) comes with new insulators, the POTV discount and even free postage on these. So I was charged £4.80 all in. Which sounds like a fair deal to me and I could trust that @Ben fogstar wasn't going to put his name on junk.

They were promptly dispatched by Royal Mail 48 and arrived yesterday in a card envelope to prevent physical damage and a plastic envelope to prevent water damage. I couldn't really ask for more in this respect.

The wraps are very nice with clear and sharp print and they seem tougher that 'stock' ones that come on 18650's. I found this out when I messed one up and had to peel it off and start again. They are however nice and thin.

The insulators are the usual aftermarket stuck on a sheet jobbies, I didn't use these as I prefer the thin plastic ones that come fitted. I'm not really sure why... These will be handy replacements if I happen to lose any of them though. The fact the replacements are a little sticky does help though if you have trouble keeping the insulators in place while re-wrapping.

The actual process of wrapping using the Fogstar wraps was very easy, they shrink very, quickly and easily with a hairdryer, without needing excessive heat, they are also quite a tight fit when you put them on so there isn't a massive amount that they need to shrink either. The top and bottom folded itself over very easily and laid very flat.

A wrap is a wrap really so I don't want to go crazy with praise or exaggerate the difference between these and the cheap, plain ones but they are a little easier to fit, feel nicer and obviously look cool too. So to me they are worth the little extra. I've done 4xVT6, 4xMJ1 and a pair of 30Q's and I still have a bunch of spares for next time I need to re-wrap a battery.

I suspect these are basically identical to the ODB ones but a far more reasonable price. I really love the owl and the samurai looking guy is pretty neat too. I have no problem recommending the kit to anyone and when I do run out I'm sure I'll buy these again. A good experience all round from both @Ben fogstar (unsurprisingly) and with the wrap kit itself.

IMG_20210430_140812.jpg
IMG_20210430_140817.jpg
IMG_20210430_140821.jpg
IMG_20210430_140828.jpg

I’ve had these for a while and think they’re great.

also good for stopping battery rattle on mechs which are a bit too spacey!

Nice review mate! I use these too and they're great.

Samurai for my LGs, Skulls for my Sonys, Owl for my Sammys... and Molicels still original wraps :D

i prefer plain ones, i think because i notice damage easier. and the ones with the skulls are a bit scary. :)

Thanks for the review mate, very nice indeed, they are lovely wraps, dirt cheap as well :) I had a spell of using translucent wraps, but I cant always spot any damage, later on. I find that 18650s need rewrapping more often than 21700s, I've no idea why, might be a mod thing, plus i get this random wrap damage (see pic), it must be the charger, I have no idea how it happens :hmm: For heat, I prefer a gas stove ring over a hairdryer, I often balls-up the rewrapping with a hairdryer.

bat.jpg

Thanks for the review mate, very nice indeed, they are lovely wraps, dirt cheap as well :) I had a spell of using translucent wraps, but I cant always spot any damage, later on. I find that 18650s need rewrapping more often than 21700s, I've no idea why, might be a mod thing, plus i get this random wrap damage (see pic), it must be the charger, I have no idea how it happens :hmm: For heat, I prefer a gas stove ring over a hairdryer, I often balls-up the rewrapping with a hairdryer.

View attachment 245943

I bet you use a Xtar charger .... right?

Back
Top Bottom