What's new

Review Smok xcube II unbox. **pic heavy**

In use update.

Xcube in use.

I, along with some other apes, have had this in use for a few days now.
I'll start with the obvious, it's VERY shiney, and VERY fingerprinty. Apart from the blindingly obvious, here's some stuff that counts.
First up, once the 18650s are in, I noticed the weight. It's not ridiculously heavy, but it is the heaviest mod I have. It's reassuringly heavy, it feels well made, a nice solid mod. I liked the idea of the fire bar instead of a button, mainly due to a lack of sensitivity in my fingers that means at times, I have to actually look to see where the fire button is on my other mods, as I just can't feel them. I had a slight niggle at the back of my mind that accidental firing would be an issue with the bar. In 'real world' use, it's a dream to use, just squeeze the mod, simple as that. There's been no accidental firing, you can even set it on the fire bar without it firing.

At first glance, the fire bar LEDs either single colour or full on disco spec appear just a flashy look at me feature, for the most part, they are, but they also provide some useful info. Most users won't see this under normal use, or at least, not often. As it happened, I've a very low ohm build (0.09ohm) on a 13 Heavens, so it was pressed into service to push the xcube.
The LEDs will strobe flash a few times when the fire bar is pressed if the coil is below the .1ohm lower fire limit, and also show a 'res low' graphic on the screen. This strobe flash will also show if there's a short, along with a 'short' screen graphic.
When using the power + / - buttons, short presses will alter the power in .1w steps, press and hold, it will go straight to 1w steps. Once the initial set up is sorted, there's not a lot needs changed apart from power. When your in the app, you can control pretty much every element. Mawsley please don't read the next line !
Including power, power delivery, puff counter & puff plan, I can only assume this is for those who's aim is to quit vaping at some point some point down the line. Power delivery now has an extra couple of levels added (5 instead of 3) with the latest firmware update, along with some temp control additions. thanks to an ape for that info.
Overall, the xcube has been a pleasure to use, resistance reader is pretty much spot on, and has provided rock stable performance throughout the time I've been using it, right down to the set, 20% remaining charge point, another thing you have the option to alter.
I bought this from SRVapes for £49.99. Concidering this is £15 less than the ijoy A160, you get a lot of mod, and whistles & bells for your hard earned spendies.

Would I buy one ? I did. :)
Would I recommend one ? If you don't mind removable batteries, very shiney & many fingerprints, at £50, it well worth a spot on your short list.

Can someone correct me on this if I'm wrong - that you can only update the firmware with Windows?

Can someone correct me on this if I'm wrong - that you can only update the firmware with Windows?

TBH, I can't help on that. My loathing of PC/laptops is so great I haven't even thought about the firmware end.
I never got the brakes on an RC speed controller as it had to be done via a PC. I know there is an ape has got the latest firmware so he may be able to help. I'll be waiting until I can arrange with a mate to bring his MacBook over and if I can sort it that way. :)

TBH, I can't help on that. My loathing of PC/laptops is so great I haven't even thought about the firmware end.
I never got the brakes on an RC speed controller as it had to be done via a PC. I know there is an ape has got the latest firmware so he may be able to help. I'll be waiting until I can arrange with a mate to bring his MacBook over and if I can sort it that way. :)

The site, as it appears to me, only allows it via a download Win app.

My virtual machine stopped working and I'm buggered if I'm paying for support or an upgrade given the little use it gets...might have to see if I can find a free alternative to run Windows on. Who the hell has a Windows computer? This is 2015, FFS. :D

The site, as it appears to me, only allows it via a download Win app.

My virtual machine stopped working and I'm buggered if I'm paying for support or an upgrade given the little use it gets...might have to see if I can find a free alternative to run Windows on. Who the hell has a Windows computer? This is 2015, FFS. :D

I have a laptop. Somewhere, just no clue where the somewhere is.

Right, from the days I've been using it I reckon I have reached a conclusion.

I've been using it at home because it's just too big to walk about with. It's heavy. Not in the way that some rock is heavy and therefore fun, it's heavy like a darts player. And probably as attractive. For all of its weight it still feels like a cheap weekend in Skegness.

The switch is OK - made smoother by having the screws fall out but I'm sure no one designed it that way. Tighten them up and the switch becomes impossible to use. It exists between the two extremes of failure like a paedophobic paedophile.

The menu system was designed by someone who adored tapping in cheat codes on a Playstation controller as a kid. Up down up up down left on the desk. The app is functional unless you want to do something important like upgrade the firmware because there's no Apple or Linux functionality for that bit. Am I going to buy a laptop to sort it? Am I fuck. Sort it out, Smok.

The ill-fitting battery cover was made by someone hitting some metal with hammers. It sits at a jaunty angle and is as flush as an unlucky alcoholic in Ladbrokes.

Maybe it's just personal taste but the engravings are garish. There's no need to remind me what the maximum wattage is on the side, I know what it is. Nor would I ever want a Bluetooth logo stuck anywhere apart from a decent instruction manual.

Hard mode is identical to normal mode but with the word 'hard' appearing on the display. It's hard in the way that Graham Norton covered in jelly is hard and not a touch on how hard it is to sort out TC mode.

And the multicoloured lights? Unless you are one of those people who sit in a stupid little car in the Tesco car park at weekends, with neon coming out from under the engine, or Vape in front of a mirror - what's the fucking point? You can't see it while vaping and I'm fucked if I can work out how to change the duration.

It's fine for a £30 mod. I paid £35 so I feel short-changed. If I'd paid full price I'd be spitting nails. This isn't Smok's first mod, hell, it's not even their first X Cube. It is my first Smok though so maybe this is par for the course. It doesn't feel durable and the planning process certainly skipped anyone with an inkling of aesthetics.

It's a collection of gimmicks. The lights, the 160W, the Bluetooth?

But I can't help liking it. Lardy, a collection of utterly pointless and annoying characteristics - it's me reimagined as a mod.

The ill-fitting battery cover was made by someone hitting some metal with hammers. It sits at a jaunty angle and is as flush as an unlucky alcoholic in Ladbrokes.

Nice review Dave.

In a way I'm glad it isn't just mine with the dodgy cover, but it does mean I can't complain to Gearbest about it and I must be the last person on the forum who hasn't done that.

Nice review Dave.

In a way I'm glad it isn't just mine with the dodgy cover, but it does mean I can't complain to Gearbest about it and I must be the last person on the forum who hasn't done that.

I didn't bother moaning, mate, even though I got shiny silver instead of the grey one I ordered. My hair loss is coming along nicely without having to pull it out by the roots.

Back
Top Bottom