What's new

Review HCigar Hana Modz Mini DNA20 Mod (Clone)

EthelKing

Veteran
Declaration: This product was bought with my own hard earned cash, and was not supplied for the purpose of a review. The views expressed are entirely my own and do not represent the views of Planet of The Vapes in any way, shape or form. I have no affiliation with the supplier of the product.

Having seen these advertised on the forum, I simply HAD to buy one on the spot. So I did. Reckless fool that I am!

I stalked the postman this morning, and he did me proud by turning up early and knocking on the door in decibels enough to wake the dead. Package received and signed for, the exploration began.

Here's what was in the package:

View attachment 24510

The kit comprises of a vinyl, zip-up, wallet with Hana Modz logo on the front face and HCigar logo on the zip pull. Inside there is a mesh compartment and elastic "stay", a USB charging cable, drawstring (logo'd) bag and the actual mod itself.

The mod is bloody small - 72 x 43 x 22 mm (LxWxD) approximately, and weighing in at 119g. It has a nice black finish with minimal surface markings from manufacture and shipping.

The following pictures shown the outside of the mod in greater detail:

View attachment 24516View attachment 24517View attachment 24518View attachment 24519

(Front face, control button side, rear face and top)

In comparison to other "box" mods I have, this is how it measures up against a VTR and MVP:

View attachment 24515

The OLED screen is bright and clear, as shown below:

View attachment 24520

And this is where there is a "BUT". Some of the functions associated with the DNA boards are not functional on the cloned version - namely the display flip, stealth mode and WATT lock.

I emailed Vapegeek about this, and they were initially unaware of this, however, the information posted on their website was supplied directly from HCigar, and reproduced in good faith. Vapegeek made the necessary adjustments to the information given to prospective buyers on their website - and their offers to rectify the issue were nothing short of first class when I asked them about the missing features. Nothing less than I would expect from them, of course. :D

I take full responsibility for my actions - I did order within an hour or so of the product being posted for sale!

I've got to say that these missing functions mean very little to me, as I am the laziest bastard vaper in the World, and am happy that I can set the power, screw on an atty and go, however, it may be an issue to others, so please bear in mind that although the mod looks and performs beautifully, there are some missing functions.

Having seen some mock-up piccies of the innards of some DNA clones, I was not looking forward to unscrewing the back and seeing what was in there; however, I was extrememly surprised:

View attachment 24521
The mass of hot glue appears to be missing. I haven't looked under the white protective screen, but I am happy to accept that any glue present in there is essential for the function of the mod!

The case of the mod appears to be a one-piece machined jobbie, although being no expert, I wouldn't vouch for this. The back screws on firmly and overall, the aesthetics of the build and the mod in general is very pleasing.

So, in summary:

Will I use it at home: Yes
Will I use it out: Yes
Will I sell my mechs: If I had any to sell, absolutely!
Would I recommend it?: So far, so good - so YES!

Price paid: £80 plus P&P (POTV discount on top)
Supplier: Vapegeek (Hana Modz mini DNA 20)

Yet again, brilliant service from Nat and Rob @vapegeek. Thank you.

It's early days for me using this mod, but all of the indications are exceptionally good, the quality of the build is excellent and the quality of vape is outstanding - even at 7W (wimp that I am!).

Thank you for reading this pic, heavy attempt at a review. :D

UPDATES:

First 24 hours: Started using the mid a 0730 this morning, and I've just put it on charge at 1810. Nearly eleven hours in a single charge. No other issues to report.

Next 24 hours: Constantly giving me eleven straight hours on a single charge. Still no other issues to report.

WEEK 1: This little baby is a beast! Still going as strong as the first time I fired it up. Battery life seems to be getting longer as the number of charges increases. No issues with the screen, all buttons operating as they should, and the case remains scratch free despite normal everyday handling and pocket storing. STILL a very happy bunny with this purchase. :D

Last edited:
Good review and a great looking piece of kit! It looks almost as short as your atty!

Thanks @Dexter for the review.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the innards.

I'll definitely be getting the 18650 when that's released.

Good review, it looks tiny next to the vtr lol

sent from tapatalk

If Vape Geek gets these in orange I might have to give in and get one while waiting for it's big brother to arrive.

Great review @Dexter! I want one so bad! Will this shinyitus ever end?

Thank you mate! I've got to say that this little thing is a proverbial beast! Definitely worth the money I paid. In fairness, I have no idea how it compares to the original performance wise, as I've never tried one. On its own merits, it is a winner. Small enough to pocket, which is where my VTR lets me down. :D

Very good review Dexter!been fiddling with mine since this morning, and like you, i don't mind vaping at lower wattage!
I shall have to see how well it lasts tomorrow on a full charge.
Nat vapegeek has done us all proud yet again, ordered at lunchtime yesterday and firmly ensconced in my mitts at 1030 today!

Back
Top Bottom