What's new

Review Eleaf iStick Pico Mega

mannikon

Veteran
Have been using the "ordinary" 75W Eleaf Pico mods (five of them!) for a while now and they're great, dinky little mods that fit well in the hand and hit hard enough to 75W and very pocket friendly. Not bothered about only using one 18650 as I will have another mod if out and about and it will usually be a second Pico (and maybe a spare battery in a sleeve in a pocket by itself). Get decent life out of a Samsung 30Q and that's what's usually in them.

So, finally got delivery from Cigabuy of the newer Pico Mega!

2016-09-01 pico mega.jpg

Still a small mod, smaller than an Asmodus Minikin but bigger than the regular Pico. Why is it a Mega? Wattage is increased but only by 5W to 80W. The Mega is because it uses a 26650 cell which means much longer battery life.
This is only initial thoughts as I only got it today and only had a couple of tankfuls through it.

Side by side with the regular Pico and Wismec Presa 100 (26650) to the left and Wismec RX200 and Asmodus Minikin to the right.

2016-09-01 pico big n small.jpg

So the Mega is not huge at all but has a tapering teardrop shape because of its battery which gives it a decent sized footprint like the RX series. In fact, it's only my second mod to pass the ironing board test. Spongy springy ironing board cover won't allow most mods to stand up without falling over. Even my Cuboid falls over. So only the RX and Mega pass this test so the Mega is pretty stable on an uneven surface but not as steady as the RX.

So how does it look, feel and work?

Felt very strange to use being used to the regular Picos but got used to it very quickly and love it in the hand in the same way as the RX but it's nowhere near as heavy as the RX. It fits the hand nicely like the RX maybe even better than the RX.

2016-09-01 mega hand fit.jpg

Menu system is probably exactly the same as on the regular Pico but the Mega came with the newer software version and I'll probably downgrade it as I prefer the earlier Power/Wattage mode display which shows volts (later version leaves out volts on display). I don't use TC so not tested that but all the same options are there and the Mega also has Bypass mode like the smaller version. Don't really see the point of a bypass mode as it's a regulated device but may appeal to some vapers.

Everything works, lock buttons, stealth mode, accelerated watts control in 0.1 increments and as it's junior partner up and down select buttons hidden on the base, big old fire button which is easy to find especially when holding it in a fist as above which is how I generally vape. Pinky needs to be underneath unlike the RX as the Mega is still quite short. Fire button a little rattly but not worryingly so and it fires when pressed on the edge of the button so works well in that respect. I find the big round fire button on the Minikin needs to be pressed in the centre which is sometimes annoying (but I forgive it because of its lovely black chrome!).

Had hoped the screen would be bigger than on the smaller Pico but it's the same size although it's easier to read at an angle because its cover is larger which also makes it brighter which can be good or bad but I usually use stealth screen mode.

Still only room for a 22mm max width tank which is a shame but the workaround, as with its smaller sibling, is to use a heat sink to raise your tank above the battery cover cap.

2016-09-01 mega in hand.jpg

That battery cover cap. Not too sure about the threads. Had to be very careful not to thread it down crookedly, would be easy to do and had no issues with the caps on the smaller Picos so maybe I have a slightly iffy example or because of its size it needs more care taken to screw it down but I'll look at using some very small amount of appropriate grease on the threads.

If you're not familiar with 26650 batteries, they are not all the same size (where 18650s probably are virtually the same), there can be length variations not by much but can make a difference. I'm using a Basen and it's a good fit. The life out of one 26650 will be much longer than out of a similarly rated 18650 (I get great battery life out of my Presa 100s).

I got used to the size and shape pretty quickly and like it a lot. I hope they bring out a full black version to match my favourite small Picos but I will still buy another Mega in "Black" (with silver top and bottom) if it proves reliable and so far it looks like it will be reliable.

The USB port has been moved to the base which I like, those ports are so ugly they should be hidden! I don't like the Eleaf name in white on the left side where the small Pico has nothing. It's not huge but I would prefer it had a blank side. I think it spoils the look.

2016-09-01 eleaf hmm.jpg

So it works the way I thought it would, not bothered it only gives an extra 5W over the small Pico as I rarely vape higher than 60W and like many other single 26650 mods it has no advantage in going high. Like it in the hand and if reliable will buy another. It feels substantial but not at all heavy compared to any of my other mods, feels just right, you know it's there and it's very comfortable unless maybe for very tiny hands. Good value from Cigabuy and maybe others, only a couple of dollars more than the regular Pico. Will it sell? Using a 26650 might put some people off but there are a few trusted 26650s so no reason not to buy just because of the different battery as most chargers will usually have space for 26650s. It does come with a sleeve so you can use an 18650 but don't see the point of that as you won't get better battery life than in the small Pico unless you just like the size and shape. I hope it sells because they should then offer the same range of finishes as the small Pico and spare battery caps will be made available too (although it's annoying that in UK only TW seem to sell the small Pico caps).

2016-09-01 pico and brother.jpg

Great review, I'm about to buy a istick pico with a cleito tank to start sub ohming with. In your opinion would I be better off getting the mega? I'm currently using an aspire Plato mouth to lung but suck on it like a sub ohm.
I like the size of the Plato in my hand so which one would you recommend

Great review, I'm about to buy a istick pico with a cleito tank to start sub ohming with. In your opinion would I be better off getting the mega? I'm currently using an aspire Plato mouth to lung but suck on it like a sub ohm.

I think either Pico might suit. Doubt you would find the standard Pico too small once you have a tank on it. The Mega is much bigger, no taller but chunkier but doesn't feel heavy.
Some people feel uneasy using 26650 cells but the sleeve adapter supplied with the Mega allows use of 18650 cells. Using a 26650 will give you much longer life than an 18650.
I have misgivings about the Mega in that I doubt its board takes up much more room than the board in the standard Pico and I guess there is empty space inside the Mega.
I have six Picos but just one Mega. All six Picos are well put together but my Mega seems a little badly assembled. Being very critical as it's a very little thing but I've notice a difference in the lip on either side where the top plate attaches to the body but nothing is broken or loose or rattling and the Mega performs very well.
If you fancy a 26650 mod I would recommend the Mega. The standard Pico is so compact it's fun. I always take two standard Picos out with me and one spare cell. The Mega is not as pocket friendly, prefer to use it at home.
Either Pico is a good mod. Maybe get the standard Pico and then think about the Mega.

@mannikon :) How do you like The Button, on either version?

The fire button works well on either. Curved buttons, larger of course on the Mega. Little rattly but not worried by that. I tend to use most mods "backwards" in a fist so use index finger. Always easy to find and fire with no false presses as I get on some mods so it's just right in terms of sensitivity. The up/down buttons are nicely hidden away on the base and recessed just enough so they're easy enough to use but won't make contact when put down on a level surface. I also like that the usb port has been hidden away too on the base of the Mega.

Just tried them both and in use the feel is lovely and firm or a positive feel and on both the fire works even on the very edge of the buttons which is a big plus.

The fire button works well on either. Curved buttons, larger of course on the Mega. Little rattly but not worried by that. I tend to use most mods "backwards" in a fist so use index finger. Always easy to find and fire with no false presses as I get on some mods so it's just right in terms of sensitivity. The up/down buttons are nicely hidden away on the base and recessed just enough so they're easy enough to use but won't make contact when put down on a level surface. I also like that the usb port has been hidden away too on the base of the Mega.

Just tried them both and in use the feel is lovely and firm or a positive feel and on both the fire works even on the very edge of the buttons which is a big plus.
Nice review bud. Looks great and the stability test is a good idea. Can't tell you how many times I've scared the scrap out of myself by knocking my mod over on the coffee table. Always during a quiet bit in a film.

Nice review bud. Looks great and the stability test is a good idea. Can't tell you how many times I've scared the scrap out of myself by knocking my mod over on the coffee table. Always during a quiet bit in a film.
I'm surprised no-one has come up with a stability gadget that clamps onto any mod with extendable legs ...

Good review!

I love my Pico, and it is one of my favourite small mods, looking at the pico mega I was not sold on the idea, but from your images it looks to be so similar in size to the Pico it may be worth getting one for the extended battery life

Then again-any excuse for a new mod lol :p .

I think using the cleito with the pico will use up an 18650 slightly faster so the mega may be better for using with a 26650 battery. I use either a serpent mini, a Hotcig Trainvape or a subtank mini with a shorter glass tank with my pico and get a decent amount of run time per battery. The cleito needs on average 40 plus watts whereas the 3 tanks i mentioned can all be used with higher ohm coils and less power or in tc mode with the tc coils of your choice

Back
Top Bottom