What's new

MTL Nautilus Mesh Coil

Chris Brookes

Postman
Manufacturer: Aspire
Related Tank: Nautilus 2S
Coil: 0.7ohm Mesh (new), 20-25w

I probably fall into an unusual category in that I prefer an ‘airy’ and warm MTL vape. I really enjoyed the original 0.7ohm coil with the Nautilus 2, but found the 0.4 lacked flavour in comparison when used in MTL mode. It’s worth noting that I used a sweet caramel tobacco liquid 60VG.

The mesh coils have a comparatively wide bore and are the ‘net’ style of mesh rather than the dense porous style of mesh. However, this is to be expected for a hybrid/MTL tank. For the purposes of this review my primary comparison will be against the original wire-based 0.7 coil and a Vapefly Galaxies RDTA with a 0.6 VV superfine Clapton (6 wraps spaced).

So first and foremost, the new mesh coil produces excellent depth of flavour, something the original .7 did not emphasise. The lower deeper notes were at the forefront of the vape, whereas the original .7 would exaggerate the higher, sweeter notes from the liquid. Notably, the coil provided a similar flavour to the Vapefly mentioned above, though the vapour production is notably less. In fact, the amount of vaper produced by the new coil seemed less than either of these benchmarks.

Wicking is quick, as to be expected and life-span is yet to be determined. Though the richness of the flavour is certainly present and strongly presented, it is with a degree of disappointment that I would share that this is in-place of the sweeter notes rather than alongside. I had perhaps naively hoped that both the sweet and rich notes would be presented in equal balance but higher intensity, though in my experience the coil certainly seems to have a preference to the lower notes on the scale.

Given the convenience of stock coil tanks, it is admirable that it is providing a similar experience to high-flavour rebuildable, though I cannot help but be disappointed that some of the best qualities of the original 0.7 seem to have not transitioned through.

So, in summary:

Pros:
  • Ultra quick ramp-up
  • Quick wicking
  • Strong, rich and deep flavour (RDA level)
  • Quick break-in
Cons
  • Lacking sweetness in comparison to wire-based nautilus stock coils
  • Very ‘airy’, not for everyone
  • Vapour production is satisfactory

I still need to test life span and wicking of high-VG liquids. As a result I will update this review when this has been complete.

P.s. this is my first ever review, so feedback welcome.

Top review IMO. There is only so much you can say about a coil and all the info I want is there.

Interesting to see these coils even exist, I never knew!

Top review IMO. There is only so much you can say about a coil and all the info I want is there.

Interesting to see these coils even exist, I never knew!
Thank-you, I’ve since spotted some typos - which are annoying me. But then I did write it on my phone.

Manufacturer: Aspire
Related Tank: Nautilus 2S
Coil: 0.7ohm Mesh (new), 20-25w

I probably fall into an unusual category in that I prefer an ‘airy’ and warm MTL vape. I really enjoyed the original 0.7ohm coil with the Nautilus 2, but found the 0.4 lacked flavour in comparison when used in MTL mode. It’s worth noting that I used a sweet caramel tobacco liquid 60VG.

The mesh coils have a comparatively wide bore and are the ‘net’ style of mesh rather than the dense porous style of mesh. However, this is to be expected for a hybrid/MTL tank. For the purposes of this review my primary comparison will be against the original wire-based 0.7 coil and a Vapefly Galaxies RDTA with a 0.6 VV superfine Clapton (6 wraps spaced).

So first and foremost, the new mesh coil produces excellent depth of flavour, something the original .7 did not emphasise. The lower deeper notes were at the forefront of the vape, whereas the original .7 would exaggerate the higher, sweeter notes from the liquid. Notably, the coil provided a similar flavour to the Vapefly mentioned above, though the vapour production is notably less. In fact, the amount of vaper produced by the new coil seemed less than either of these benchmarks.

Wicking is quick, as to be expected and life-span is yet to be determined. Though the richness of the flavour is certainly present and strongly presented, it is with a degree of disappointment that I would share that this is in-place of the sweeter notes rather than alongside. I had perhaps naively hoped that both the sweet and rich notes would be presented in equal balance but higher intensity, though in my experience the coil certainly seems to have a preference to the lower notes on the scale.

Given the convenience of stock coil tanks, it is admirable that it is providing a similar experience to high-flavour rebuildable, though I cannot help but be disappointed that some of the best qualities of the original 0.7 seem to have not transitioned through.

So, in summary:

Pros:
  • Ultra quick ramp-up
  • Quick wicking
  • Strong, rich and deep flavour (RDA level)
  • Quick break-in
Cons
  • Lacking sweetness in comparison to wire-based nautilus stock coils
  • Very ‘airy’, not for everyone
  • Vapour production is satisfactory

I still need to test life span and wicking of high-VG liquids. As a result I will update this review when this has been complete.

P.s. this is my first ever review, so feedback welcome.

Thanks for the review. Out of interest, how much airflow did you use? Also what was the sweet spot on the wattage?

Ooh. I'll have to look for these!

I'm using the Artery Pal (the original) whilst the 0.7 LQC by Artery was phenomenal, I'm using the standard Nautilus 0.7 because I had them and they really let it down for me :(

I'll track down the Mesh 0.7s for myself, I also recommend you pick up and try the Artery 0.7 if you like the Nautilus :D

Scratching each others backs.

Ooh. I'll have to look for these!

I'm using the Artery Pal (the original) whilst the 0.7 LQC by Artery was phenomenal, I'm using the standard Nautilus 0.7 because I had them and they really let it down for me :(

I'll track down the Mesh 0.7s for myself, I also recommend you pick up and try the Artery 0.7 if you like the Nautilus :D

Scratching each others backs.

If I understand you correctly @ Huggett
Are you saying the Artery Pal 0.7 coils fit the Nautilus and they are better?

Thanks for the review. Out of interest, how much airflow did you use? Also what was the sweet spot on the wattage?
Tried a couple of settings. Mainly used the big airflow on the Nautilus 2s open 1/8 of the way (which is my usual). Also tried with 3 small holes. I must confess, the flavour was slightly stronger with the greater level of restriction (to be expected), but the general experience was not as comfortable, it felt like the coil was choking slightly.

If I understand you correctly @ Huggett
Are you saying the Artery Pal 0.7 coils fit the Nautilus and they are better?
The Artery Pal (1) 0.7 LQC coils and the Nautilus 2 coils fit.

Ie I have a Nautilus 2 coil in my Pal 1, so the LQC from the Pal should fit the Nautilus as the Nautilus fit in my Pal.

And the Nautilus 0.7 are a major letdown in comparison to the LQC by Artery

Cheers for that @Huggett
I’ll have a look at the Pal 0.7 coils for the Nautilus bridge for the BB, what’s LQC ?
Forget that I’ve just had a read, it seems the 0.7s are more Dtl.

Back
Top Bottom