What's new

GEEK VAPE AEGIS X

Tazz

Legend
GEEK VAPE AEGIS X
Hi all. Firstly I would like to thank the wonderful Cortana from HealthCabin for sending me this Aegis X mod for review.
The following are my experiences and thoughts whilst using it during the review period and may well differ from others experiences and opinions.
IMG_20200109_235109_852.jpg

THE AEGIS X
Ok, so its no secret these days that Geek Vape mods are best known for their IP67 ratings giving the user a well contructed water proof, dust proof and shock proof mod capable of being used in just about any environment. The Aegis X continues in that tradition and in some other ways builds upon its great reputation as a quality mod with the introduction of a couple of new features.
Included in the box you will find packaged along with your new Aegis 4 spare screws, a spare usb Bung/Plug, USB lead, Manual and a spare Screen Protector. The screen protector is ok but you could I believe buy a better quality one and cut it to size. I say this as the sides lift away from the curved edges of the screen making it look a bit messy really. A minor nit pick I know but they are included.
KIT.jpg

Now the X is rather a large mod compared to others but it also sports a large easy to read screen and to accommodate that, it of course needed to be large in and of itself in order to do so .
This new Aegis continues with the use of 2 x 18650 batteries as it's power source and is touted as being capable of power delivery from 5 up to 200 watts. It has a temperature range of 100 to 315 C (200F to 600F) and a resistance range of 0.05 ohm to 3 ohm.
Atop it sports a plug or bung type sealed USB port for upgrade of firmware and software, as well as usb charging.
Protections listed for the X are as follows.
No Coil Detected.
Protection Atomiser Short.
Atomiser Resistance High.
10 Second Cut Off Protection.
Battery Low Protection.
Battery Weak Please Lower Wattage.
Device Overheat Protection.

Modes on offer with it the new Aegis are...
Power Mode with the options of Soft, Standard and Powerful setting.
Temperature Control Mode.
VPC Mode (power curve mode).
Stealth Mode.
Memory Modes.
In the Sub menu you have another two modes being..
Auto (set to have the X choose the wattage range of a newly fitted coil or coil/tank setup)
ABB (Auto Battery Balance where the X will use the battery with the highest charge or power level to give some to the the weaker one to balance them out)
Whilst in the Sub Menu you can also choose your Screen theme with three options being the default theme which you see when you first power up which I call the X theme, next the Auto Bot theme which should get you thinking Transformers here and thirdly the Dial screen which is similar to a cars speedo or analogue watch in appearance.
You also have here in the Sub Menu the option of changing the colour of your chosen theme accents from Blue to Orange, Yellow, Red and Green. Here you will also find the Reset option for resetting the entire mod to default.
Displayed on the screen itself you get, up top each side, you're individual battery levels, below this your chosen Power level or Temperature etc in large display and underneath these you will see Coil ohms, Voltage, Amps and Puffs. These latter four will be displayed either vertically or horizontally depending upon the Display theme chosen.
Navigation is pretty easy, whilst you are for example in Power Mode simply press the Power/Fire button 3 times. This will highlight the first icon on the list, the M (memory) in white. Each successive tap of the Power button will move it to the next icon. Make your adjustments to your chosen one by simply using the Up/Down buttons. A long press on the Power button will take you back to normal operation to vape. Alternatively you can just wait 5 seconds for the time out to do the same in returning you to normal vaping mode.
To enter the Sub Menu press the Power button 3 times where again the M goes White then after this hold or depress the Up/Down button at the same time. Making your choices here is easy using the same navigation methods.
Screen brightness can also be changed on the X by hitting and holding the Power button whilst either holding the Up or Down one along with it to raise or lower the value/brightness.
Screen lock/unlock is achieved by holding the Up/Down button at the same time and holding till you see it display the one you want.
Stealth, hold the Power button and both Up/Down at the same time. Do the same to reverse it.

Ok, I could go on about changing this and that but I'm sure nothing else reallly needs explaining as it really is an easy navigation system to get used to.
So up top.
TOP USB.jpg

The 510 is nicely centred but can only really accommodate Tanks comfortably up to 24 mm. I say comfortably because you could go a couple of mm more if you didn't mind squashing the the Tank base into the slightly raised rubberised sides of the Mods top. Up here you also have the USB port which is accessible with the Tank connected and juice proofed by a rubber bung type seal.
The Fire Button
Ok, the Fire button looks like one of those single direction rocker types but actually isn't. You can press it anyway you like and it will fire no worries. But, be warned, it is a soft press, so I would highly recommend against putting this mod in anything whether it be pocket, bag, purse, in fact absolutely anything whilst turned on. It will pocket fire eventually and that I have no doubt about whatsoever. It's not as if I think it's ok to have any Vape device left on whilst moving about, it's not, full stop, but if any deserves that reminder then it' got to be this X! Turn it off when taking it places people, it's as simple as that.
BUTTON1.jpg

The Battery Door.
First up the battery holder section. It's good. Each battery has its own seperate drop in section clearly marked inside with a big Blue dash for placing it negative end down the the Positive getting a big Red + for, well you guessed it, placing it positive end down.
PLUS MINUS.jpg

The door itself on this one I have closes nicely but firmly onto the waterproof sealing being held well in place by a sliding latch.
BATTS.jpg

Here for me though this part of the review gets a little squiggly. Mine you see has a battery latch that just a little, by a smidge, does not sit fully flush in its recess. I call it the Credit Card test. If I flat edge the card on the base of the mod , or even a purpose made rule device, then slide it from rear towards the front it will just catch on the latch, from the other direction it catches near the mid section of the latch. Obviously this see's mine have a portion of the mod when set down rest on that section of the latch. Now I had to mention this as this is what I got and to do otherwise, not mention it and pretend its all good, I just can't do.
But, there is a positive end to this Battery door latch story and it is this. After much searching and enquiring no others who are amongst those whom I made these enquiries with have one like mine. All of theirs sit flush and none take any weight from the Mod. Neither, I will add, could any internet searches at the time reveal the issue.
So, mine? Just an anomaly it seems up to this point and easily taken care of from my end by the application of two layers of duct tape which were then cut to shape around the outside of the latch and battery door.
Believe me, if my enquiries had shown this issue I had to be common then this review would not have taken place and would have ended up a "warning" instead. As it is I can accept that it is not, to my knowledge, at this point a design fault but rather a rare anomaly which ended up in my hands.

So how's the X deliver and what's my verdict?
Well, I'm no expert and really just your average punter who likes his Vaping and hates junk with a passion. Those who know me know exactly what awaits the junk when something turns out to be so. Also, vaping in general can be such a varied thing and so subjective to personal tastes, both functionally and aesthetically, not to mention other personal requirments. I suppose the best one can do is deliver their thoughts based upon what those needs and requirements are for themselves and hopefully give some insight for or too those of similar tastes, and I guess those of opposite too, in the hope that it helps one to make a somewhat informed decision.

Ok, I do like the X both visually and function wise. It's a no brainer that in loving the great outdoors I'm going to gravitate towards anything IP67 rated. I have said it before and will say it again, IP67 rated mods should be the norm and standard in anything that supports another thing/device that sits atop it and contains liquid in any shape or form. Simple logic should dictate that.
SIDEX.jpg

The X does fire nice and fast, this of course is dependent on the tank you use as some I tried on it fired faster than others seemed to.
The Auto function, auto coil power level selection, worked quite well selecting power levels roughly mid range in the coils suggested power levels given by manufacturers. I do see it's use when putting a new or different tank and coil set up on the mod that may use power levels lower than the previous one. Auto would definitely stop it from getting accidentally fried from too higher wattage.
If you do wish to use it then you need to set it to Auto in your desired Memory section. What can happen though when you are trying to select the sub menu to go to it however is that the memory section, say M2 is where you want it, can jump ahead or behind as you hold the Power Button and Up/Down buttons at the same time. Or I should say that you think your doing so when really your hitting one of them a split second before the other causing the jump. Your in M2 but when you get into the Sub menu to choose Auto you are now in M3. Its easy to remedy this until you get the hang of it by just selecting the Memory below it, M1, before you hit all 3 buttons so you will then find yourself once done in M2 where you wanted it to be. You would only do this of course if you continued to get the jump. Im used to it now and rarely get it.
Auto Battery Balance.
Well this is quite a unique feature yet strangely there is no information about it in the manual. But this is what it is. If a battery is lower than the other with ABB selected the X will use the battery with the most power in it to send charge to the lowest to balance them. I tried this by removing one of the batteries, at this time both were on 4 bars in the X, and putting it in the Aegis Solo. I vaped until the battery showed below half on the meter then placed it back in the X. At first the battery from the Solo showed just 2 bars with the other showing 4. Turning on ABB and leaving the X in idle, turned on but not using it, within 40 minutes to an hour they were both perfectly balanced on three bars each. I was impressed, it worked exactly as stated.
Charging via the 2 amp USB option (yep, lots say dont, but I often do but never overnight as I sleep or am not there closely nearby) worked very well. Amongst the quickest fast charge types I've tried. It too I have heard is balanced but dont see it in the manual. At first you may see them charging a little out of sync but very quickly they do so in sync. The only thing I think is odd, is the positioning of the USB port. On top, right next to the tank. It seems an odd place to position it really though perhaps there is a method to the madness, with it being where it is less likely to be inadvertantly opened as could happen if it were placed elswhere. I would highly advise however that one makes sure there is no juice on the top of the mod before opening it.
Battery life was a little lower than I expected compared to some other mods I have but not hugely. I guess though that running a screen big enough to be able to watch videos on or view photos with may be the reason and trade off there for a little battery life. But really it's not enough to be an issue and only just warranted the mention.
Navigation and menu use is pretty easy to learn, and lets face it, anyone reading this is doing so either on a mobile phone, PC or tablet type device, all or some of which take just as much if not more tech savy skills than you will need in learning to use this device.
The screen is big, bold and easy to read and see things. So as much as some may find it overkill, others will find it refreshingly better than those tiny squint your eye ones that some have.
Size wise the X is matchingly as big and bold as it's screen yet has a great handfeel. Especially the soft touch material the usual leather section has been replaced with. I cannot get any info on what it actually is but it feels quite comfortable and almost velvety to the touch.
I am and always have been fan of Curve mode options and do find the VPC or Curve mode on the this to be very good. Especially being able to adjust the time of each section of the curve graph from .5 of a second right up to 1.2 seconds. It works well and is easy to set up.
Basically to me this Aegis X is a very good solid performing mod. Yes, personally I was dissapointed to discover that battery latch issue but am pleased to hear its not at all common and to date appears to be isolated to mine only. All functions work well and I have had no issues with any of them. Basically I'd have to say it's a very good, solidly built device and give it the thumbs up.
WETX.jpg

Again many thanks to Cortana and @Healthcabin for sending the Aegis X for review and thanks for reading it.
Cheers.
https://www.healthcabin.net/geekvape-aegis-x-200w-box-mod-p/22494.html

Last edited:
Great review mate i do like the bigger screen on it so much easy to see.
Thanks for that Bulldog. My misses has confiscated it from me. It's hers now. "Oh, I like the colour of the screen!" And that was that. :sleepy:

Thanks for that Bulldog. My misses has confiscated it from me. It's hers now. "Oh, I like the colour of the screen!" And that was that. :sleepy:
Always the same mate as soon as us blokes get something nice and the wife likes it its gone :(.

Ordered mine yesterday, can't wait to get it. I have the mini and love it!

Great review Tazz..it’s a beast....the misses maybe thinks the soaps can be seen on the screen..

Ordered mine yesterday, can't wait to get it. I have the mini and love it!
Hi mate. It is a great mod. My misses I swear, almost looks sad when the batteries are nearly flat. :18:

Great review Tazz..it’s a beast....the misses maybe thinks the soaps can be seen on the screen..
Thanks mate, her favourite up until now has always been the Wismec RX2 for use at home. Not now, the X is hers no ifs or buts! I think she likes the pretty colours! When I first showed her and she saw the screen it was all over.

Back
Top Bottom