What's new

MTL ZQ Vapor Trio RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
Rico at ZQ Vapor sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or ZQ, nor do I get paid to review things.

IMG_20210204_131100.jpg

The ZQ Trio RTA

https://www.zqvapor.com/kit/zq-trio.html

ZQ Vapor are a relatively new company and they now seem to be moving away from pod systems and into the ‘proper’ vape market. The Trio RTA is a hybrid MTL/RDL tank with 3 separate airflow rings to allow it to do both. The advertising blurb tells us that there is 13 different airholes, giving a combination of 143 airflow configurations. It’s a single coil RTA and building on it is quite easy. The tank takes 2ml juice.

In the box you get:
1 Trio RTA
1 Spare Drip Tip
1 0.5ohm Coil
1 0.8ohm Coil
1 Screwdriver
2 Spare Screws
9 O-Rings
2 Pieces of Organic Cotton
1 User Manual

That’s a nice haul of extras for those who perhaps don’t have all of the stuff needed for building coils and I think that the included coils suit the tank and it’s capabilities. The tank is nicely designed and looks well made. It has knurling on 2 of the airflow controls, the top and the middle one. There’s a big trio embossed on it but it’s not intrusive or tacky looking. As with some of the MTL tanks it has a small ultem glass on it so that you can see the juice level once it starts to get low and the juice level is easy to see. The top cap is screwed on, it’s not a quarter or half turn and you do have to screw it off, much like some of the older tanks you can get. Once opened there are 2 kidney shaped fill holes that let you pump juice into the tank easily. You have a choice of 2 drip tips, one is set up for the RDL and the other an MTL one. They both have ultem at the top to keep with the aesthetic of the glass.

Collage 2021-02-04 13_19_50.jpg

The deck is easy to build on but you can’t use a big, big coil in it as each side is quite close together. The screws on the deck pin the wire to the side, where there is a little ledge to keep it in place. It makes it a bit harder to get chunkier wires in but then the tank isn’t set up for that really. I found that you’re better just pinning the coil to the bottom with your thumb rather than try to use a coiling rod as the wire can come up a bit too much and the screws won’t catch it. You can always adjust the coil once it’s pinned in there to get the right angle for the airflow holes. Wicking is quite straightforward as well, you can just stuff the cotton into the wells once it’s trimmed and I didn’t find much need to thin the cotton, unless I tried to put a bigger type of coil in.

The hook of this tank is the triple airflow. There are 3 rings with varying sizes of holes in them. The top airflow has 3 1.0mm holes. The middle 0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.2 and 1.5mm holes, as does the bottom ring and the idea is that you can set these up in varying configurations to get the exact kind of draw that you like (143 combinations apparently). The bottom airflow hits from underneath the coil, the middle from the side (but looking at it it’s kind of bottom as well as the side depending on how low you fit the coil) and the top is there to give that extra little bit of air as it doesn’t hit the coil at all. The one drawback I found is that the bottom airflow ring is quite fiddly to adjust when it’s sitting on a mod, the 2 rings are quite close together so getting in to adjust the bottom one only can be a little faffy but it’s not enough to put me off personally.

In use I tried a variety of coils in it. The included clapton coil got me up to about 25w and was lovely for a full open airflow restricted DL hit. The draw was nice and smooth and flavour was good. The flavour did drop a little with the top airflow fully open but I personally liked the extra air myself as I tend to slipstream draw on tanks like this anyway. Those who are all about the flavour should really discount the top airflow though as you can get a good enough RDL draw with that closed anyway if you have both bottom and middle rings fully open.

I then moved onto trying to get a bigger coil in and managed to stuff a Ni80 tri core fused clapton at 30awg into the deck. It only allowed me to get 4 wraps at 2.5mm in but the cotton still wicked well enough to get a lovely RDL draw at 35w with a nice amount of flavour coming from it and a good amount of vapour.

After this I went for the middle ground and popped a Ni80 clapton in that was supposed to ohm at 1.0 but ended up being 0.86ohms. This was a nice middle ground for me and let me start to use the airflow rings properly. With the airflow fully open it still let me take a good DL draw but once I started dialing it down a bit I could I could get a nice MTL draw as well. Taking the top airflow out of the game for MTL you can adjust the 2 other rings to suit your draw. With the middle flow cut off you can get a tight MTL draw on the smallest hole of the bottom one then adjust to suit. Personally I like an airy MTL and having the option to adjust the 2 rings really helped me find what was perfect for me.

Finally I went for the classic round wire kanthal wire at 28awg, coming out at about 1.5ohm. I don’t know what it is but this is the perfect MTL wire for me personally. At 12w it was a lovely MTL draw with the middle ring closed fully and the bottom fully open. As I said I do like an airy MTL draw. I also tried a Ni80 wire the same awg at 1ohm and it was just as nice.

Collage 2021-02-04 13_19_28.jpg

In all I really like this RTA. It has the perfect mix of MTL and RDL options for me and using a very high nic salt juice gives me the draw and hit I need on MTL with the added bonus that I can open it right up and take a good DTL draw as well when I need the boost. It might not suit your dedicated MTL RTA users with it not having airflow inserts to get that super tight draw but for someone like myself and most others it is perfectly useable and gives a really good flavour. I am interested to see what ZQ Vapor come out with next so thanks again to Rico for letting me try this out.

Last edited:
Cheers mate, great review and timely too as Mr postman has just dropped one of these off for me!

Cheers mate, great review and timely too as Mr postman has just dropped one of these off for me!

Hope you enjoy it mate. It really is a good mix of MTL/RDL for me. That's how I like to vape outside the house and I'm glad I got to try this out.

Hope you enjoy it mate. It really is a good mix of MTL/RDL for me. That's how I like to vape outside the house and I'm glad I got to try this out.
Sounds like it might fit how I like to vape too then mate. Am looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom