What's new

MTL ZQ Trio Mtl RTA

Sam Andrews

Achiever
Roll up... roll up..

Hello my fellow vape Apes today's review was very kindly sent to me by Rico @ZQvapour and it is the Trio MTL RTA tank.

Abit about the tank..

The Trio MTL rta is the world's first rta tank to have 3 independent adjustable airflow rings meaning it brings you an even better vape experience for flavour and adjustability. This means it is easily switchable from MTL to DL vaping depending on how you are feeling.
It has 13 airflow holes giving it a combined total of 143 airflow combinations. Which is very impressive indeed.

It comes in 3 colour variants, stainless steel, gunmetal and black. I was sent the stainless steel version for this review and in my eyes the best looking one.

20210130_140011.jpg

First thoughts and In the Box..

• 1 Trio RTA

• Drip Tip 1 MTL, 1 DTL

• Screwdriver

• 2 Organic Cotton strips

• O-rings

• Spare Screws

• 0.8ohm coil

• 0.5ohm coil

It is a very neat well packaged box, the tank is sat snugly in the packaging with a little box compartment below which, has spare o rings, seals, screws , 2 coils, some cotton, a screwdriver and a spare drip tip. Also included is a very easy to read user manual.

From the start you can see this Is a very smart looking tank but what impressed me most was that ZQ supply you with everything you need to get building straight away which is a massive pro in my books.
I recieved the stainless steel version and with all of the products it's a ultem glass section and drip tip.

20210121_143452.jpg
20210121_143639.jpg

Specs...

• Filling: Top

• Tank Capacity: 2mL

• Airflow: Adjustable(3 controls)

• Drip Tip: 510

• Screw: 510 thread

• Dimension: 22.5*54mm

• Material: Metal + PEI

• Single Coil

The tank...

This tank looks classy even with TRIO etched into the metal I still think it looks great, it's a well built solid quite heavy tank, its got a ultem tank and drip tip.

20210122_023804.jpg
It has 3 different airflow sections top, middle and bottom you may think its abit over the top but every different airlfow slot gives a different vape experience
I personally would have preferred a tank section you could possibly swap for a glass tank rather than it being all ultem although seeing your juice through it hasnt been a problem when it gets to that level I've kept it topped up.

20210130_140041.jpg

Every part of the tank is detachable meaning it's easy to clean and take apart.
It has a easy top fill by unscrewing the top cap revealing 2 kidney shape filling ports, I have found with my hands being quite big and me being clumsy you can sometimes open the top airflow whilst undoing the filling cap meaning when you go to have your next vape it feels like you're breathing in air. A dilemma that had me scratching my head first of all for a good 10 minutes.

16120157127301784595820176044518.jpg

The airflow...

As previously mention this tank has a ridiculous amount of airflow options coming from 3 different control rings, bottom airflow, middle airflow and top airflow meaning you can really customise it to whatever suits your needs.

20210130_140027.jpg

Ive found that the bottom and middle airflow made the most difference for me and when I opened it fully I did experience a drop in flavour, it's a very airy vape with all airflow Holes open but not a vape that becomes noisy which is very good considering the amount of air incoming.

Two things on this I have noticed are, that it can be abit fiddly to open the bottom and middle airflow separately and takes abit of getting used to especially if you're quite heavy handed like me, the knurling on each ring is similar and you can sometimes find yourself opening both at the same time, but without making the tank bigger this is definitely a me and my sausage finger problem.

16120158356198826112476114008477.jpg
And secondly I'm not entirely sure there is much point in the top airflow ring I know it gives a more unique setting to the tank and more options, but when looking inside and on diagrams of where the air goes online it seems like it just goes in the top and straight out again which may make the loss in flavour more understandable.

16120159211452345329594171805388.jpg

The coils and building..

The build deck is a simple single coil,2 post screw deck where the legs of the coils go between the screw and edge of the tank meaning they stay in place and can get them nice and tight whilst being level. This also makes it super easy to snip the legs of the coils once installed. The provided coils ohmed out at around where they said they would and wicking through them was simple.
For some one who hasnt been building for very long this gave me a good insight into what a vape can be like if you have patience and willingness to keep trying.

Screenshot_20210129-224143_Gallery.jpg

I started with the 0.8ohm MTL coil provided, I juiced it with some prime vapes creme tabac and started with the tightest airflow as I like a tight draw and was hoping with the endless airflow options this would suit my needs and it's a great tight draw, the flavour as always took a couple of puffs to come through and its a very rich flavour with a nice throat hit. I did find once you start opening more than 2 holes it starts to become abit airy for a proper MTL hit, with the bottom airflow 1 hole open and even with 1 bottom and 1 side airflow it for me it brought out the best balance between flavour and tightness of draw. I ran this at 12.5 too 14W

20210122_023013.jpg

Next I put the 0.5ohm coil in, rewicked and put some prime vape purple rain in, I started with just the bottom airflow fully open and it was a nice restricted DL hit then I fully opened the middle airflow and it was a great flavourful DL vape, I fully opened all airflow and found with the all 3 open it was too airy and I felt the flavour dropped off so I stuck to the top closed off, middle half way and bottom airflow fully open and this was a perfect vape for me with great flavour.
I ran this at 25W

Pros and Niggles...

Pros

-Everything included to get started
-Easy to build deck great for beginners or long time vapers
-Great flavour
-Loads of airflow options
-Great looking tank
-Easy top fill

Niggles
-Would have like to have a glass tank option
-Loss in flavour when top airflow open
-Airlfow rings can be abit fiddly

Overall thoughts..

I was very excited about this tank, having reviewed a pod system from zq and being very impressed with the build quality and flavour, I was hoping this didnt disappoint and it hasnt. From the start of opening the box, its neatly packaged, has everything you need and the tank looks great.
The build is very easy with lots of room which is great if you're just getting into rebuildables and the flavour it produces is great.
The pros absolutely outweigh my couple of niggles so for me this is a fantastic MTL RTA and one I wouldn't hesitate to recommend people.

I would like to thank Rico at ZQ once again for giving me the opportunity to test this tank.

Thank you for reading my review
Sam The Vaping Gardner
20210123_231845.jpg

Nice one mate, great review and looks a decent tank. Not sure about that top airflow though!
Love the graphic.

Nice review. I does look a nice tank though I don't get the reasoning behind the top airflow, as mentioned adding air to the mix after its passed the coil will be like diluting the vapour but also reducing the velocity of the air hitting the coil from the other airflows.
So less air hitting coil = hotter coil = warmer vapour
Then air added after coil = cooler vapour.:hmm:

And why do I get the feeling this will turn into a science lesson:22:

Nice review. I does look a nice tank though I don't get the reasoning behind the top airflow, as mentioned adding air to the mix after its passed the coil will be like diluting the vapour but also reducing the velocity of the air hitting the coil from the other airflows.
So less air hitting coil = hotter coil = warmer vapour
Then air added after coil = cooler vapour.:hmm:

And why do I get the feeling this will turn into a science lesson:22:
I agree mate on the zq vapour website it has moving diagrams of the airflow inserts etc and it literally is in and out of the drip tip but with the other airlfow.options u can keep it closed of and lucky it doesnt affect it!

I agree mate on the zq vapour it has moving diagrams of the airflow inserts etc and it literally is in and out of the drip tip but with the other airlfow.options u can keep it closed of and lucky it doesnt affect it!
theres some drip tips that have airflow rings on them that do the same thing.
what as just occured to me is slipstreaming where you can DL hit on a MTL by leaving a small gap between lips when taking a draw the top air should have the same effect

there are tips you can get that have holes in them to let air in the top. i think the one that came with the calix you could adjust to open or close it.

theres some drip tips that have airflow rings on them that do the same thing.
what as just occured to me is slipstreaming where you can DL hit on a MTL by leaving a small gap between lips when taking a draw the top air should have the same effect

there are tips you can get that have holes in them to let air in the top. i think the one that came with the calix you could adjust to open or close it.

jinx! :)

Good review mate.
Looks hard to operate, I like options... but that is a bit too much IMO.
I prefer it simple yet effective.
Cheers

Thanks Sam, you've quashed my curiosity and probably saved me £30. :)

Back
Top Bottom