What's new

MTL Innokin Ares 2 D24 MTL RTA

Gitchy

Achiever
Lilia @Sourcemore sent me this to test out.

20200910_104200.jpg

The Innokin Ares 2 D24 MTL RTA https://www.sourcemore.com/innokin-ares-2-d24-rta.html

She also gave me a discount code for the forum which is: D24. It's only a couple of quid off the current discounted price online but it all helps so good of her to send it.

This is an MTL tank that is 24mm, holds 4ml of juice and is a bigger version of the D22 that is also available.

In the box you get:

The Ares 2 D24 Tank
2 nifty build tools
A screwdriver
2 prebuilt spaced 3mm kanthal coils
A small roll of 26 awg kanthal wire
Some muji type organic cotton
A pack with o-rings, glass and a spare fill port, along with a vape band as well!
A metal drip tip
The usual manual

The tank is a collaboration between Innokin, Phil Busardo and the Vaping Greek. I’ve heard of Phil but not the Vaping Greek (or Dimitris as the blurb on the box calls him). I’m not a fan of vaping youtube videos other than checking wicking on tanks so it’s not the names that draw me to a tank or kit. It is nice that people in the industry are designing things that other people will use though. I’ve seen a lot of these team ups and some are better than others. This one is decent. The amount of gear you get with the tank is nice and the tank itself looks well designed. There is a lot of branding on the bell cap that covers the deck, a big Ares 2 on one side and another that says ‘Platform Series, designed by Phil Busardo and The Vaping Greek. It’s not intrusive though so doesn’t bother me.

20200910_104430.jpg

The deck itself is nice and big. It holds a 3mm coil comfortably and you could probably get away with a 3.5mm if you were so inclined. Underneath where the coil sits is an airflow adjuster that Innokin are calling Cross Air Flow Control (CAFC). It’s turnable and changes the airflow hitting the coil from a slot to a small hole as you turn it. The handy part is that you can adjust this without having to remove the coil, either pop the wick out or you can put a coiling rod/tweezers in and turn it without bothering anything. Obviously it’s better without the coil in so you can see how restrictive it goes but the option is nice once you know the tank. The deck is raised up with 2 nice sized wicking holes which make for an easy build imo. No faffing about with cotton, you can just fluff it up and chuck it in there and make sure it’s not touching the bottom so it wicks well. The posts are screw posts, they are perfect for round wire but if using a flat fancy MTL coil you might have to adjust a little to get it right.

There is also the usual airflow ring. A wide slot allows you to expose the 5 different sized airflow holes for an airy draw and there’s another, small round hole, that lets you dial it right down to a really tight 0.8mm using each individual airhole.

The tank is top fill, take the drip tip out and slide to expose the fill hole, which is covered so that there are no leaks.

Collage 2020-09-10 11_05_27.jpg

In use it’s a really easy RTA to build on. The wicking holes make wicking easy and the included build tool from Phil makes it nice and easy to position a 2.5mm coil ready for screwing in. There’s no faffing around and this would be perfect for someone new to RTAs as well as those who are already used to RTAs. I tried out a few different wires and size of coils myself and found that while the fancier clapton coils produce more flavour the best draw for me is from a simple 28awg kanthal build at 2.5mm with the CAFC slightly restricted and the airflow fully open. Never thought I’d prefer an airy MTL draw but it seems I do.

Flavour wise it’s ok. I have had better flavour from stock coils and higher end RTAs but it’s all about the draw for me and the draw on this tank is good, with a lot of scope to dial it down to however you prefer it. A bit of mucking around with coil placement and wicking makes a difference too. I’ve also found that you can do a decent restricted DTL on this tank with all airflows fully open and an 0.7 MTL clapton in it. This really ups the flavour and makes a big difference for me but then I’m more of a restricted DTL kind of person anyway.

In all it’s a decent MTL RTA with plenty of airflow options for tinkerers. The size may put off anyone who likes a petite setup but the increased deck size is good for those who prefer bigger ID coils and the juice capacity is also bigger. The included extras are good for newer builders and pretty handy for those of us who have been doing it a while as well.

This one is going to our resident pod queen DeeDee. We might get her building after all.

Last edited:
I have one of these @Gitchy and your review is spot on.

Thanks Rew. I don't usually use MTL RTAs so wasn't sure if I was talking bollocks or not. Just trying to give my experience with it so glad to see that it mirrors your own.

Thanks Rew. I don't usually use MTL RTAs so wasn't sure if I was talking bollocks or not. Just trying to give my experience with it so glad to see that it mirrors your own.

I don't think I would even add anything to it myself. Spot on mate.

Nice review @Gitchy. Think I’ll be getting the limited edition version purely because it has less going on appearance wise.

Back
Top Bottom