What's new

MTL AUGVAPE, Merlin nano

eyeball kid

Legend
The Merlin nano was kindly supplied by the lovely Ella from @Sourcemore for review. The following review represents my own thoughts and not necessarily those of potv.

WP_20190903_16_55_58_Pro.jpg

What we have here is the 16mm Merlin nano rta which comes as standard with the 2ml glass tank, also included is a very smart 3.5ml frosted bubble tank (although it's more angular than bubble), 22mm beauty ring, three airflow inserts 1mm, 1.2mm and 2mm and a bag of spares including a 0.6 and 1 ohm coil plus spare deck screws, o rings and a screwdriver tool.
WP_20190914_14_11_57_Pro.jpg

As you can see from the exploded diagram the design is not hugely different to the little dvarw 16mm. You place the airflow restrictor directly under the coil with a push fit and then fit the coil and wick within the small push on chamber (again like the dvarw).
WP_20190903_16_56_25_Pro.jpg

The airflow is cleverly hidden within the small gap that runs around the base of the Merlin nano.
WP_20190914_14_11_21_Pro.jpg

At first I wasn't enamoured with the push fit nature of the airflow inserts and deck cover but when fitted together the whole system actually locks itself together very securely.
I've run 70%vg liquid (frisco vapes, presidio) with the 0.6 ohm coil and 50% vg juice (manabush, nanabhozo) with the 1ohm coil and both wicked fine even when chain vaping at 3.7v. Both coils gave excellent flavour but things really stepped up when I put my own 2.5mm 1.1 ohm kanthal coil inside (supplied coils are 3mm).
The 0.6ohm supplied coil did leave the tank quite warm after a while but nothing terrible.
With my own build the flavour was outstanding, perhaps too strong for some, you may need to play with the coil a little to strike the right balance for your juice.
Nothing negative to add except to remind that this is a bottom fill tank for those who prefer top fill. It looks beautiful, compact and vapes perfectly. Perhaps a little more fussy to 're wick than say the kayfuns but a bargain price for an original rta. Bargain and available in some lovely finishes.
Huge thanks again to Ella from sourcemore.
You can grab yours here.
https://www.sourcemore.com/augvape-merlin-nano-rta.html

Last edited:
Not wishing to put you on the spot Boss @eyeball kid :) How would you rate this against the 16mm Dvawr? Reason I ask is that as you may have seen, I have an 18650 IllusiaS that can only accommodate up to 18mm RTAs etc. I have the little Dvarw already, but this had been on my radar as well.
Very interested in your thoughts as we both appreciate similar things.

Strange,my one is nowhere near to the dwarv16, although they chambers are same

Strange,my one is nowhere near to the dwarv16, although they chambers are same
Yes bud, the references where aimed at the deck construction and chamber but in reality it is almost piece for piece a variation on the theme.

Not wishing to put you on the spot Boss @eyeball kid :) How would you rate this against the 16mm Dvawr? Reason I ask is that as you may have seen, I have an 18650 IllusiaS that can only accommodate up to 18mm RTAs etc. I have the little Dvarw already, but this had been on my radar as well.
Very interested in your thoughts as we both appreciate similar things.
Ah, Difficult one Guv.
I've only used the clone of the little dvarw so can't conclusively draw comparison but,
Perhaps on first build the dvarw wins on the solid nature of how it fits together but once the pei cap is on it's all held together perfectly.
Flavour wise the merlin takes the prize. I think the under coil airflow inserts just hit that coil better.
Downside is it may be an absolute faff for you to build as it's small and there's a few fine fitting parts.
I'd have to be honest and advise caution for anyone with dexterity issue's (which I should have added to the original review). Not horrendous but not the trim and poke ease of wicking that the kf lite has. Worth it for the flavour though and I don't think you'd have any issue's finding a new home if it was just too much work for everyday as its a looker on any mod.

Ta Muchly @eyeball kid :worship:

On a "Good Day", wind in right direction etc :) I can deal with the Mini Dvarw so was hopeful that this beastie "might" be OK for The Jazz Hands :)
Next question.......... AFC? How does it operate and how airy can it go?

Ta Muchly @eyeball kid :worship:

On a "Good Day", wind in right direction etc :) I can deal with the Mini Dvarw so was hopeful that this beastie "might" be OK for The Jazz Hands :)
Next question.......... AFC? How does it operate and how airy can it go?
Purely down to the undercoil airflow inserts. The exterior airflow is hidden and fixed. The dual 1mm (2mm) insert is the largest (unless you opted not to use one) which is a pretty airy mtl.

Yes bud, the references where aimed at the deck construction and chamber but in reality it is almost piece for piece a variation on the theme.

Yes,what I meant to say that I'm getting a very weak flavour,first I thought it build,then wicking,or maybe some oil left from machining,but after a few weeks of trying everything I give up

From where we we're a few years back These reviews are tiny personal differences.
We where searching all over for small run and rare tanks that hit the specs for a mtl tank but we've really been spoiled since the berserker arrived (the first of many)
I'm a cthulhu hastur mini superfan but can't vape nanabhozo in them as they highlight all the wrong elements for me, yet you'll always find at least two in action at eyeball towers full of nokomis or pow wow.
It's amazing that we can now find the perfect mtl rta that highlights our favoured juices exactly to our tastes for under £30.
It boggles my mind that I can get a top draw mtl vape from a £20 pod now (pasito). Good times.

Yes,what I meant to say that I'm getting a very weak flavour,first I thought it build,then wicking,or maybe some oil left from machining,but after a few weeks of trying everything I give up
Strange. I had to tone mine down as it was getting way too much. The flavour was literally smacking me in the gob.

Back
Top Bottom