What's new

SC Silica Tank (Russian 91%/Kayfun clone)

SmokeyJoe

Postman
Hey Guys, thought i would post a review of the above mentioned clone from Smokecloud.co.uk, which costs £39.99, as i couldn't find any reviews online.

i have only had this since lunch time, so will post an update after a few days of usage.

so we all know that Kayfun and the 91% have great build quality. The build quality of this is good, not to the original's level (from what i expect they would be like). When you get it, it comes assembled with the metal mid section, so i stripped it down, cleaned it (after i found a slight issue with the inbuilt coil and wick, stated below) and put the clear plastic section in. The threads for the most part are smooth and effortless, the tin mans hat could be better, and has larger threads than the main body. The coil screws are the correct length unlike the EHPro clone which need sanded down. I also cleaned out the airhole incase there was some stuff in there, which there was.. Some dirty metal shards.

It has adjustable air flow... Which does not work, all the way in and out makes no difference on the draw what so ever, and with the allen head thing in, the air hole whistles which is annoying. When i took it out completely, i think i had wicking issues with a lack of juice (on the original wick before i cleaned it). I didn't seem to have enough resistance in the draw, but had no whistle. When i rewicked i used cotton and microcoil and now have no issues with the air adjust removed (but do now have a slight whistle, which i expect to be my fault, not the tanks).

with my new wick is vapes extremely well, to the point that my Protank 2 tastes muted in comparison (if you don't have a Protank they give great flavour). The vapour/throat hit and flavour are all spot on.

there are a couple of clones of the russian around by EHpro and Tobeco, not sure if this is Tobeco or not, but it is not the EHPro one as that has a flat top to the tank and you can only use the drip tip provided. This is beveled at the top and my PT tip fits and works, but i love the feel of the one providedit is thinner and feels very smooth.

the build quality of this clone in my opinion is great, smooth threads, sturdy feel to the tank, it comes in stainless steel (i think), and costs less than the originals. However i ordered because of the lack of availability of the Russian.

overall for 40quid, i think this is a great clone, other than the Airflow adjuster which does nothing and the whistle when it is actually in the device.

will update after more use.

SJ

Last edited:
Corrected the typo's in the review.

After one day I have a couple of updates.

I have requested a new unit as last night the O ring (which was frayed) in the drip tip snapped and there is no spare in the spares provided.

The whistle issue is still there. I have filled the airflow control hole with cotton as with the provided adjusters it is just annoying and whistles all day long even with gentle puffs. If I puff softly with the cotton in, the unit is silent, but with a normal pull like I would do on my PT I get the whistle through the airhole.

I have tried a few flavours in this now and they are all amazing... too amazing.. some of my main vapes are blowing my head off even at 3v on a 2.8ohm micro coil. (Higher than I wanted but I am new to them)

Overall am still happy, but not as happy as I could be, will wait to see how SmokeCloud (trying to link then into this) deal with my issues.

Edit: the whistle noise reduces as the liquid level reduces.

Last edited:
Ok, so i have spoken to Smoke Cloud and they have confirmed i have a dud unit and have arranged to test another unit and send it to me.

will update when i receive a hopefully working unit.

Well not good news I'm afraid.

I took delivery of my replacement today, and while the whistle is less, it is still there after a good clean out and rebuild. Nothing is obstructing the air channel.

However, the Air Adjuster got stuck and either is spinning in the hole, or the Allen head indent rounded off.. either way it will not move now, which caused a flooding issue.

I have contacted Smoke Cloud (Caroline is lovely) who have said they will issue me a full refund including my postage costs. So i have now given up on clones (at least this one) and now purchased a real Kayfun Lite (Plus) from C9V.

Overall with the experience i have had (and Caroline believes i have simply been unlucky), I could not recommend this product. the build quality on the first tank I got was nice (whistle aside). On the second tank the threads were not as smooth even after a good clean with a toothbrush to weed out any particles. The drip tip was loose in the 2nd one, and in the first one the O ring was frayed and snapped when pulled out to clean.

It is a shame because if the whistle was not present on my first unit (which others have said they did not have) I would have been more than happy with this and would have been raving about it. I believe Smoke Cloud are going back to the manufacturer about these issues, so they may well get resolved and a great clone will be on the market, but for 40 bucks I am afraid as it stands this is not a great one in my opinion.

A big thanks to Caroline for SC for helping me.

SJ

I can however say the Smoke Cloud have been great and have done all they can to help me, even when it became clear I wanted a refund (in fact it was actually suggested by them).

Last update.

Having no got my hands in the real deal, I can say the build quality on the clone was good. Not as good as the real thing, but not far off it.

Back
Top Bottom