What's new

Review Kayfun Mini V.3 (this is NOT begginner friendly)

Update: My lovely clean looking short leg coil turned out to be a fail. Even with the little protruding leg taken care of. Im guessing because the legs were so short they were touching the deck and it keep giving me crazy readings and semi dry hits. I tried raising it coils but couldn't get those wanker screws to hold. Back to longer legs again..

im no expert but think its the same as all decks you put a hand made coil into it you dont want it touching the deck or the sides as it shorts so to speak only place it should touch is the posts im sure @Rob did have a pic of one with a coil in nicely it was not low to the air flow and hes your man for kayfun help think the thread was cant wick the kayfun it was one rob had sold to someone but he couldent get on with it i think this is the thing with a kayfun mini v3 its a bitch to get the coil in but when you do its lovely

I used a K4 every day for 18 months and re-coiled it at least once a week. The Mini has a similar deck.

Everyone has their own methods, but this is mine.

I found 0.5 almost impossible to use, 0.35 and below were easy, but too thin.

This left 0.4, which I would wrap around the screw, pulling it tight with pliers. Leaving the coil on the screwdriver meant the screwdriver would be pulled against the other post, allowing you to pull the wire tight making it easy to screw down.

I used a K4 every day for 18 months and re-coiled it at least once a week. The Mini has a similar deck.

Everyone has their own methods, but this is mine.

I found 0.5 almost impossible to use, 0.35 and below were easy, but too thin.

This left 0.4, which I would wrap around the screw, pulling it tight with pliers. Leaving the coil on the screwdriver meant the screwdriver would be pulled against the other post, allowing you to pull the wire tight making it easy to screw down.
Ive been using the k3 for a few months and although a pain I've managed to coil it ok. Thought I'd try it with short legs and low but as above it wasn't right. I just done it again pulling the wire round the screws as you said. Got it in tight and the height looks ok but the coil isn't as neat after all that fuckry.

Like anything practice makes perfect. I find wicking really easy on this thing.

Next attempt

1478210065031.jpg

Ive been using the k3 for a few months and although a pain I've managed to coil it ok. Thought I'd try it with short legs and low but as above it wasn't right. I just done it again pulling the wire round the screws as you said. Got it in tight and the height looks ok but the coil isn't as neat after all that fuckry.

Like anything practice makes perfect. I find wicking really easy on this thing.

Next attempt

View attachment 109103
have you tryed with the legs at the bottom instead of the top of the coil when you screw it down and yes practice makes perfect im still learning every day its what makes it fun :)

im no expert but think its the same as all decks you put a hand made coil into it you dont want it touching the deck or the sides as it shorts so to speak only place it should touch is the posts im sure @Rob did have a pic of one with a coil in nicely it was not low to the air flow and hes your man for kayfun help think the thread was cant wick the kayfun it was one rob had sold to someone but he couldent get on with it i think this is the thing with a kayfun mini v3 its a bitch to get the coil in but when you do its lovely

Lol i just cant wait for my squape to arrive, the v3 will be resting for a while...

have you tryed with the legs at the bottom instead of the top of the coil when you screw it down and yes practice makes perfect im still learning every day its what makes it fun :)
Yes lol i have but didnt think about this time would have been better wouldn't it [emoji28]

Glad I'm posting these things getting some great tips.

Having the legs at the bottom would also help with that particular coil by going under the screws clockwise, i.e. the direction you tighten the screw. If you put the legs under the screw anticlockwise as you have in that last photo the bottom of the screwhead will force the wire out as you tighten it.

Nice clean build there @krang. Just watch that little bit protruding doesn't short out against the chimney. My first KF Mini v3 was a shockingly loose build and as undoing the juice flow made the tank a bit wobbly, it would short...
That's actually the negative side so won't really matter if it touches - negative is basically the whole atty body - but that said, it IS good practice to ensure the leads clear the chimney...

the 0.35 mm wire must be too thick for those screws, I just cant seem to figure out why it keeps popping out from under the screws!, other than that reason, no matter how tight I hold it in place while I'm screwing it just pops out lol
0.25 or 0.3mm are the best sizes to use in a Kayfun Mini IMNSHO...

Back
Top Bottom