What's new

Review By Leo Calix V4

Rob

Administrator
Staff member
I have put this up as a review, but it is a little bit more than that, so if you are just after a straight review, skip a paragraph or two :)

For those whom are unfamiliar with "By Leo" as a brand, here is a very brief background on the company. Originally started by Billie's Father "Leo" after Billie and he had dismantled and improved every item that they were both using for their everyday vaping habit, increasing dissatisfaction with what was on the market led them to start looking at designing an RTA that actually worked as they would like. The rest as they say, is history, which @Billie-cig is only too happy to share if you ask :)

The Products first came to the UK via a Family connection with House of Liquid, Leo and Georgio . This was where Carol and myself first became aware of the product range and that was the start of our continuing love affair with all things "By Leo". 2009 saw the Birth of the first product "The Dripper" RDA , also known as the eBaron as a nod to Georgio from hol, ebaron being his social media handle.

Products then came thick and fast. Billie launched "By Leo" as a trade name and created their website as it became obvious that there was a greater market than the one at HOL and the Apollo RDA and the Calix V1 were the stalwarts of the range. Tragically, just as work started on the Calix V2 Leo was involved in an horrific fatal accident. It is a testament both to his Father and also to Billie's tenacity that "By Leo" continued and produced the hugely successful V2 and then the V4. Billie has had some rotten luck in the last year and I am amazed that he has continued soldiering on in face of some pretty insurmountable odds. These Greek Men are certainly made of some very strong stuff!!

So........ The Calix V4 :)
When Billie first told me what was being planned I was really excited, he had addressed the one significant flaw that had blighted the Calix V2 and V3. There had been issues with O Ring failures on the 510 Pin when the SS Deck Cup was being loosened or tightened after rebuilding, this in turn led to potential weeping from the 510. Those days are long GONE Folks!
When one views the Build Deck, the BIG change is that the 4 Screws used for attaching the Coil Legs are now on TOP of the SS Cup, this does away with any need to move The Cup when performing builds, an absolute Masterstroke!!
The Chamber is now slightly thicker which all adds up to a really positive feel about things.
We also have a New Airflow Control which features 3 Air Holes, one of which is 1.6mm (Ideal for a Tight MTL Draw) and then 2 X 1.8mm holes for a more open Draw (My favourite).

I did the same build that I used on the Calix V3. .30 SS316L Wire wrapped with a 2.5 inner diameter and Spaced. Coil Legs are at the TOP so that the coil is down in the SS Cup. You still have the same options as with all previous version of the Calix, so you can chose on either "Direct" Feed of liquid to the Wick Tails, or you can go for the "indirect" method if you so choose. Personally I find that unlike the V3, I get the best results by using "Direct" feed.

Now the Calix V4 is designed with the Mouth To Lung Vaper in mind, but it IS capable of slightly more than that, but don't expect an airy loose draw here Folks. What you are rewarded with is intense flavour!! Possibly even MORE than we had found in the V2 and V3 !! You have the TPD compliant 2ml Capacity in the Utem Tank, but if you are sneaky and careful you can squeeze a bit more than 2 mls in :)

For me, The Calix V4 is the "coming of age" of an already Great RTA. Yes, it is designed fair and square at the MTL market but can also perform a Restricted Lung Draw happily enough and should be celebrated for that!! If you prefer, or "need" more air, then look no further than the Calix V3 though the V4 does come just about as close.
Billie tells us that there will be other options coming for the 510 Pin which will feature different sized feed holes, so as is always the way with "By Leo", the Calix V4 will continue to evolve and will offer you the opportunity to fine tune your Calix to suit your tastes.

Yet another brilliant offering from "By Leo" and one which I heartily commend to you.

Thanks @Rob. Great review.

I have a couple of questions if you wouldn’t mind.

Firstly, now that the Calix is 2ml. Does that mean it’s shorter than the V2 and v3? If so by how much?

Second. Are the chimney and tank sections still compatible with the V2/3? Could I buy a V4 and then put a V2 chimney and Armor on it for instance?

Lastly - how firm is the fill cap? I’m always a bit worried about pull off fill caps that it’s going to come open in my pocket. Or even worse, wobble slightly in use.

Cheers
Matt.

Great review, and thanks for the little bit of background info about By Leo!

@eightbitraptor :)
Top Cap is secure :) Very, very nice and simple to use. :) No, the Chimney is only usable on the V4 as it has a different threading ratio and is a slightly thicker construction.
Heightwise, there's very little (if anything) between the V3 and the V4 :)

Superb, a thorough review Guv. I can't wait to try one of these. A few more pennies went in the pot this week.

placing the screws on top of the deck is a very welcome tweak :2thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom