What's new

Review Baby Beast RBA coil...a sort of Mini review

beastobadness

Achiever
Hello you apes...

It has come to my attention that there is a lot of interest in a little Smok product known as the TFV8 Baby Beast tank as of recently but never seems to be any love for RBA coils.

I came to own the Baby Beast due to a recent comp win I had...so doing some simple searching online for stock coils soon turned up that they frankly...are bloody expensive!! I am a 're-buildable' type of guy now as so many of you are now!!! So when I noticed the RBA coil, I was on it like a car bonnet.

20161201_100824.jpg

So in the box...

1x Baby RBA coil (preloaded with a dual spaced Clapton build coming out at 0.3 ohms, untold wire type that I believe is stainless steel due to the colour change to blue)

1x Exclusive RBA spare glass

1x bag of spares (1 Allen key, 4 spare grub screws, 1 spare o-ring)

That's it...basic I know! Why Smok didn't supply one in the kit for the Baby Beast when they did for the TFv8 Cloud Beast is anybody's guess!

The RBA coil itself...

Comparison between the glass section for the RBA and the standard glass section, damn it... have a picture cos it speaks a thousand words...

20161201_130711.jpg

The difference between the glass section and coils is understandable. The RBA needs to be bigger to accommodate the small 2 post velocity deck and hence why the glass section for the Baby Beast in RBA mode also needs to be taller but only by about 3mm. Unsure whether the juice capacity is altered by this as I don't have the necessary measuring equipment, but I will edit if I find a way.

My experience with it...

I have been using the stock coils and found that you get about a week out of the coils and I had about 100ml of 70/30 juice through them of the pink lemonade variety but that maybe a lot less with very sugary e juice... obviously the RBA won't suffer with that problem, just clean, dry burn/rebuild and rewick and your set to go again ...simples!!

Flavour wise the stock coils are fantastic being vertical coil builds. The RBA, in my opinion, well... it's an RBA, it depends on your preference of build but vertical builds in the RBA...erm... no, the stock coils are better for flavour IMO! It's setup is that of a miniature style Griffin deck. However I do think the flavour is good for an RBA due to the shortness of the tank and the confined nature of the RBA, even stuffing the juice ports with cotton, I have not had any dry hits as of yet and the bubbles keep rising.

I have heard of people who own the RBA having leaking issues. This is probably down to not using enough wicking material. You have to make sure there is enough wick stuffed into the juice ports or risk dumping juice out of the bottom of the tank. I will edit in a few days with more info whether I have any issues.

If you have the Smok Baby Beast...I recommend you to buy at least one of these even if it is just for backup. It gives a very decent vape.

I am not affiliated with any companies mentioned in the above review and these are solely the personal opinions of an honest ape. So fooking have it...

What coils are you using yourself in the rba now?
Im asking as although I'm not new to rebuilding etc I've recently changed over after 5 yrs MTL and this is my 1st sub ohm tank, I haven't yet built any claptons myself as always needed micro coils so initially was going to buy a few ready made to keep me going while I get practicing[emoji106]
Hope you can point me in the right direction for which claptons I would need.
Ta[emoji6]

I just wanted to add that the V8 Baby RBA fits the Baby Beast and Big Baby Beast, but the glass doesn't fit the Big Baby Beast so you're left with a 2mm gap at the bottom of the glass, which effectively means you can't use the RBA with the Big Baby Beast unless you can source a longer glass section.

What coils are you using yourself in the rba now?
Im asking as although I'm not new to rebuilding etc I've recently changed over after 5 yrs MTL and this is my 1st sub ohm tank, I haven't yet built any claptons myself as always needed micro coils so initially was going to buy a few ready made to keep me going while I get practicing[emoji106]
Hope you can point me in the right direction for which claptons I would need.
Ta[emoji6]

A couple of days ago I swapped the coils the RBA came with out for a fresh build after not using it for a couple of weeks. Over the 2 weeks I had not used it there was a small amount of weeping from the air flow but FFS...it's an RBA, and besides, it shows everything is wicking fine, even with plenty of cotton stuffed in the wicking holes [emoji106]

So anyhoo...My new build is a slightly spaced dual 6 wrap, 3mm ID, SS 316L 26/32 awg Clapton's coming out at 0.28 ohms. Wicked the same way by just stuffing the cotton in the wicking holes. My wire is pre-made...I don't slaver on with making my own wire...Too much hassle![emoji3]

Last edited:
That's awesome, just what I needed cheers, I'll order sone wire.
Are you running this with temp control as you have SS coils then?

That's awesome, just what I needed cheers, I'll order sone wire.
Are you running this with temp control as you have SS coils then?
No, never use temp control...Did try it a few times but I prefer good old wattage mode but that is the beauty of SS[emoji5] it's happy with both. Running this build at 50W.

3mm is a big coil for this RBA and I would say it's limit, so make sure that the coils aren't shorting on the side of the RBA.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I need another tank too and Mod but when funds allow I have a list now, can't wait to get coiling once again, thanks for your help bud, much obliged

I note your comment about stuffing the cotton in the holes when re-wicking, I think this is where I wasn't putting enough in there although it vaped ok, every time I added more juice to the tank and re-opened the air-flow it leaked from the air flow holes, I did watch a few you tube videos and they showed putting very little cotton in which confused me somewhat as I was trying to lay some down over each of the inside of the air holes, I had to cut it at an angle slightly too to get it in without choking it, it's a tricky one to learn. I was using cotton bacon v2 but do have other material to try.

I note your comment about stuffing the cotton in the holes when re-wicking, I think this is where I wasn't putting enough in there although it vaped ok, every time I added more juice to the tank and re-opened the air-flow it leaked from the air flow holes, I did watch a few you tube videos and they showed putting very little cotton in which confused me somewhat as I was trying to lay some down over each of the inside of the air holes, I had to cut it at an angle slightly too to get it in without choking it, it's a tricky one to learn. I was using cotton bacon v2 but do have other material to try.

Yeah this is definitely an RBA which needs the cotton showing through the juice intake holes to the tank or risk leakage. Whereas tanks like the Griffin only needed enough wick to sit above the juice intakes, the baby beast RBA needs to be restrained.

I have wicked the same way 3 times and no dry hits and the bubbles keep appearing with each draw. I only use Muji cotton in my tanks...to me the likes of cotton bacon/fibre freaks/ etc... have always been for drippers...But everyone to there own.

I have the RBA and build stainless clapton at 0.15 ohm 5 wraps each side running 110w and the flavour is amazing gets bit warm but i like a warm vape. good little review very fair and honest and says what it needs to! give you 8/10 sir you loose 2 marks for not showing off your finished build :P

Back
Top Bottom