What's new

Joyetech ObliQ Pod Kit Review - F**kin LOVE It!

I'm going to try some 'skinny' reviews of stuff I have reviewed for the front end when I get spare time, cherry picking the ones that are a bit special.

Kicking off with the
Joyetech ObliQ Pod Kit.

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-8.jpg

Supplied by Vapesourcing for review purposes:
https://vapesourcing.com/joyetech-obliq-kit.html
(Not on the UK site for some bizarre reason?)

The full review is here:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/reviews/pod-systems/joyetech-obliq-pod-kit.html

This is also an update of the original review after a longer usage period.

Intro
I can't believe I nearly missed out on this beauty, nobody (including me) showed any interest when it was offered to the review team, I only agreed to review it as now and then you have to take one for the team and take on stuff that you usually wouldn't.

Unusually for me I didn't specify a colour as all of them looked good to me, I was sent the Blue version which I am more than happy with.

Here's what you get in the box:

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-4.jpg

Unboxing
Low expectations made unboxing a real treat, it's difficult to describe 'wow that's nice!' feeling when I first picked the Obliq up for the first time, sure it's just another fucking pod but this one felt something special, I could only hope it vapes as good as it looks, there's no spare pod, as much as I appreciate a spare, the lack of one didn't mar my enjoyment of unboxing this kit.

Interestingly the ObliQ's protective film wrap doubled up as quick start instructions and held all the info you needed to know, a nice touch.

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-5.jpg

Visually; the ObliQ looks stunning from every angle, the glass panels are the best I have seen on any vape I have previously owned, the 3D effect as you rotate it in the light looks so good (though impossible to show off in photos).

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-6.jpg

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-7.jpg

Better still, they are fingerprint resistant which is impressive, the chrome areas are fingerprint magnets though but generally there's only one edge that shows them up (opposite to the screen edge) and the odd occasional wipe wasn't annoying.

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-POD.jpg

The pod was interesting, top filling was appreciated and I liked the hidden sliding airflow adjuster though I could already tell this was a little too loose to be an effective seal for MTL vaping, it turned out to be better than I thought though.

In my mind; Joytech wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to stock coils, so I was expecting these to be the worst part of the ObliQ kit, this turned out to be the opposite and made a huge difference to my overall experience.

The ergonomics and size are one of the best features of the ObliQ, the shape feels natural in the hand and fits snuggly into your grip, the unusual shape and smooth panels also felt tactile.

I would class the ObliQ as a 'posh vape' similar to the Vaporesso Luxe PM40 but better in so many ways, I really liked the PM40 but it has now been relegated into obscurity, even the coils beat the superb GTX ones which was the biggest surprise for me.

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-10.jpg

Controls and screen
The screen on the ObliQ is superb, bear in mind I often struggle to read some of the smaller details on a lot of screens as my eyes are older than my mental age, but I could clearly read everything.

Controls were a piece of piss:
(Random thought - where does the term 'piece of piss' come from? - I know what it looks like: ULTEM)

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-Controls.jpg

Right enough blabbering, how does it vape?
The ObliQ surpassed my (fairly low) expectations and some! I was just so glad of this as the flavour is sublime with both coils, I especially enjoyed the higher ohm 0.8 coil for MTL, at 20 watts it was higher powered than I prefer but the flavour made it worth it, using nic salts I really enjoyed the nic hit in the morning as it gave me that much craved nicotine head rush.

Once the initial review period was over I turned to using it with Manabush 50/50 6mg Freebase liquids and this turned out to be my WMD favourite (Weapon of Manabush Delivery), the 20 watt draw gave me such a good throat hit and delivered the full flavour that Manabush juices offer.

This pod isn't a one trick pony either, DL and RDL was equally as good, surprisingly airy for such a small pod device and belched out plenty of vapour, but I found it was better for an RDL vape if you close off the airflow a bit.

Coil lifespan has been off the chart for me, I have been using the 0.8 ohm coil for a few weeks now, daily and often heavily; it's still going strong and no drop off in flavour so far.

Joytech_Oblique_Pod-9.jpg

Airflow
As you can probably tell by now, I am over Joytech-ed with the ObliQ but there's only one slight chink in the armour, the airflow isn't quite as tight as I would have preferred for MTL, part of this is due to the mouthpiece and partly due to the airflow slider, BUT it is still tight enough for me to class it as MTL and much tighter than a lot of other so called MTL devices, much tighter than the PM40 and similar to the Vaporesso XTRA.

I did find a little hack to tighten it more by inserting a slither of silicone into the air inlet, I used a piece of silicone from an old pod filling bung, it did make it tighter but you know what? I soon removed it as I enjoyed it as is.

This is the skinny version, for more detailed info check out my original review:
https://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/reviews/pod-systems/joyetech-obliq-pod-kit.html

I've written all of the above from scratch but copied & pasted the final bit as nothing has changed

Pros
  • Simply beautiful design
  • Attention to detail
  • Leak-proof pod design
  • Anti-fingerprint coated glass panels
  • Proper 2A fast charging with 1800mAh battery
  • Screen is very easy to read
  • Oblique shape is very comfortable
  • Top fill pod
  • Putting the ‘Joy’ into tech
Cons
  • MTL airflow could have been tighter
  • Removing the pod can cause you to accidentally fire
I could have gone on and on with the pros, but the cons are minor and easily lived with.

Final Thoughts
The evolution of pod systems can often be tiresome and there really is too much choice out there, thankfully Joyetech have gone to town in refining a superb and more than capable pod system that deserves to stand out as one of the very best, and it has instantly become one of my all-time favourite vapes, it’s that good.

Score: 9/10 – One of the very best RDL/MTL pods out there.

Would have been close to a perfect 10/10 if the MTL draw was a little tighter.

Attachments

• Joytech_Oblique_Pod-1.jpg
    Joytech_Oblique_Pod-1.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 43
Great review.

I've never really been into pod style vaping, however, that looks a beauty.

Think when funds are ok, I might have a punt. Would make a nice little option for when I'm out & about. Once we're allowed out that is.

It looks beautiful too.

Thanks for the review @Vapaneezer Scrooge

Tell me about it, I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a 'spare' Red one, ordering some new coils and I'm tempted to try the 1.2 ohm but I doubt they will be a patch on the 0.8ohm.
Looks an interesting little thing tbh. You need a red one too, obviously, having just one in blue, it's just silly!!!

Thanks for the review Si. Like the sound of this one, except for the airflow not being tight enough. May be worth a punt though.

Looks an interesting little thing tbh. You need a red one too, obviously, having just one in blue, it's just silly!!!

The problem is if I did get a Red one then I would 'need' a Green one to make an RGB set.

Thanks for the review Si. Like the sound of this one, except for the airflow not being tight enough. May be worth a punt though.

Though I prefer a tighter draw I find this acceptable, it just feels looser than it is due to the mouthpiece (if that makes sense?), proof of the pudding and all that; I found myself coming back to this as first choice, where as many 'acceptable' MTL draw pods I've rarely touched since reviewing, it's tighter than something like the VooPoo MTL PnP tank for sure.

One I will be stocking up on coils for and there's very few pods I do.

Back
Top Bottom