What's new

GeekVape Obelisk 60 Kit

Gitchy

Achiever
Lilia from @Sourcemore sent me this to try out. I am not affiliated with POTV or Sourcemore, nor do I get paid to review things.

20210702_122410.jpg

The GeekVape Obelisk 60 Kit

https://www.sourcemore.com/geekvape-obelisk-60w-kit.html

The Obelisk 60 is part of a new range that GeekVape seem to be releasing. They’ve already released this, the fast charging Obelisk 120 and I’ve seen that they are also releasing a dual battery Obelisk 200 as well so it’s nice to see them diversifying from the Aegis range.

This kit is a pod system that goes up to 60w, has a 2200mah internal battery and a 4ml capacity pod (will be 2ml TPD if you buy in the UK). It has USB Type C charging but isn’t superfast charging like the Obelisk 120. It’s a purely DTL affair, using the decent P series coils so there’s nothing here for MTL fans I’m afraid. The screen is a 0.96” colour TFT.

In the kit you get:
1 GeekVape Obelisk 60 Kit (4ml)
1 GeekVape P Series Coil 0.4ohm (Pre-installed)
1 GeekVape P Series Coil 0.5ohm
1 Coil Tool
1 USB Cable (Type-C)

Function wise it’s quite simple. It has the usual 5 clicks on and off. It’s 3 clicks to change the mode and that only has power or bypass. You can also clear the puff counter here, as well as change the colour of the screen by holding both adjustment buttons at once. Holding both adjustment buttons together while not in the 3 click state will lock the adjustment buttons for you and If you hold the fire button and either of the adjustment buttons you can change the brightness of the screen, which is still quite dim in outside light I'm afraid. There is also a stealth mode that you can go into by holding all 3 buttons together and I suppose that would help with battery life.

And talking about battery life, it is excellent on this kit. It really is good for a 2200mah battery. The advertising blurb states you can get 48 hours out of a charge but I think that is highly optimistic. Perhaps if you had it in stealth mode and were vaping at a low wattage below the recommended 40w of the 0.5 coil you could get close to it but I was finding it was more like a max 24 hours, which is still excellent given that the 2 coils in the kit are 40-50w and 50-60w. It certainly lasted me a whole day’s working easily and more, making this a perfect kit to take out for a night out (if I ever get out again that is). The chip also keeps the performance up well imo. I was finding the vape didn’t drop off until I was very close to the battery running out, it was the last 5 or 6 draws at most for me. If you look at the blurb on either the GeekVape site or on Sourcemore there are some nice graphs showing how the chip and battery perform but I'm not going to go into that here.

20210702_122625.jpg

Design wise It’s a quite compact kit and fits nicely in the hand. It’s comfortable too as it has a rounded back where it fits into your palm. The weight is nice as well, it has that reassuring heft to it that I like in a device but it’s not overly heavy and suits the size of the kit. I had the black one and it did look a little plain but the other colours (gunmetal, blue and green) all look a lot nicer. The battery part is made of plastic and the blurb states it’s all recyclable material, which I like the idea of but wonder how you’d manage to recycle the electrics and the plastic together. It doesn’t feel or look cheap though. Branding is just a simple GeekVape along each side and it’s not intrusive. It’s easy to reach the fire button with your index or middle finger and goes well with thumb firing too. The pod clicks in nicely and is held by magnets. It’s in solidly as well so won’t fly out if you drop the device.

The pod itself is 4ml capacity with this version, I assume the UK TPD one will only be 2ml. It’s smoked plastic and because of the shape it can be tricky to see the juice level unless you’re holding it up to a light source. The coil is push fit and you do get a coil tool to remove them with but I found a good pull gets it out fine. GeekVape are going with the name Z airflow for the airflow system and it is a top airflow that you can adjust by turning an airflow wheel just below the driptip. I didn’t find it too noisy or turbulent myself so it works well and there’s no leaking at all, either through the airflow or at the bottom of the coil. I did not like filling this pod. It’s got a rubber bung and it’s on the side of the pod so, mixed with the smoked plastic, it can be quite tricky to get the thing fully topped up without a little juice coming out of the fill port. With a little practice you can get it juice free but you shouldn’t really have to practice filling a pod in my personal opinion. One other thing to note is that the drip tip is not one you can change over. The hole is too big for a 510 and too small for an 810.

20210702_122801.jpg

In use the device is nice. It’s a simple DTL pod system and works well. I started off on the 0.4 coil, rated 50-60w and ramped up to about 55w, where I found it had nice vapour production and good flavour. It did have a bit of new pod plastic taste at first but then I get that with all DTL pods I’ve tried and it did go away quite quickly, whether I just got used to it or it just broke in properly. My main gripe with DTL pod kits is usually that the battery just flies down when you’re using them at close to the top of the wattage range and I always despair that the manufacturer gives you a coil that hits the top end of the wattage capacity of the mod. It doesn’t seem to be this way with the Obelisk 60 though. They really have managed the battery quite well here and I got a good 12 hours + vaping at the top end out of the 2200mah battery, something I’ve never done with even 3000mah kits before.

I moved onto the 0.5 coil, rated 40-50w after about 3 days and had that sat around 45w for my own preference. I do prefer the slightly lower wattage personally and like the flavour from this. It still chucks out good vapour and I’ve been using it a lot these past 5 days and there’s still no drop in flavour or any hint of the coil burning out on my DIY juice. Again the battery lasted ages for the size of it and I am very impressed if you can't tell already.

Overall the Obelisk 60 kit is good for those like me who like a slightly restricted DTL vape. The 2 coil options suit me and I do like the P series coils; having tried them on the Aegis Pro Pod Kit before. It’s simple, it works and would be pretty good for taking out on a night out. There’s no customisable options like an RBA or different type pod for other coils but it does do well with what it does. The battery life is some kind of witchcraft, I do not know how they get it to last so long at the wattages it runs at. It really is good for that.

20210702_122743~2.jpg

I was given a code for this to reduce the price by 25% to $31.69 it's OB60K

Last edited:
Great review mate and I'm always on the lookout for a pocketable RDL device and this looks very good indeed.

Back
Top Bottom