What's new

GEEK VAPE AEGIS SOLO REVIEW

Tazz

Legend
GEEKVAPE AEGIS SOLO KIT
MOD TREE.jpg

Hi to all. Recently I was sent this Aegis Solo kit for review by the wonderful Cortana from HealthCabin. My veiws and experience whilst using it are my own and mine only and may differ from others.
The Aegis Solo Kit from Geek Vape consists of a single 18650 battery mod rated from 5w up to 100w, which is Waterproof, Dust proof as well as Shock proof and is supported by the well known Geek Vape AS chipset. Safety features include 10 second shutdown, Overheat protection, Over current, Over Charge and Over Discharge protection. Resistance range is from .05 to 3ohms. The tank sitting atop this little beauty is the Cerberus tank fitted with a 5.5ml bubble glass and a .3 ohm mesh coil. The kit itself comes with a spare 4 ml replacement glass and another .3 ohm coil along with a number of replacement seals. Also included is a Usb lead for support of the onboard charging capabilty of the mod, a metal mini type of prise bar for opening the battery hatch should it be hard to move and of course instructions.
KIT.jpg

Up top, the Cerberus Tank.
Ok, the Cerberus Tank is not excatly new and has been around for a while. It's a top fill, with a partial twist of just a 1/4 turn required to remove the entire top, with 2 kidney shaped fill ports. The air flow is bottom style with 2 large ports allowing for ample air flow should you desire. Filling is super easy, no overspills and as I have mentioned in other reviews I personally prefer this fill system to that of sliders.
TANK TOP.jpg

The Cerberus is touted as having, sporting it's bubble glass, 5.5ml capacity. Measured by syringe with a saturated coil see's in reality this being a 4 ml capacity. A good 1.5 ml shy of it's stated one.
To the coils. To be honest I have heard of issues with these Geek Vape mesh coils, in particular short lifespans of just a mere couple of days. My first impression when I primed the first one of these was this "these aint no chain vapers coil!" The wicking ports on these coils are quite small round holes and as such should be virtually self explanatory as to their ability to wick fast in chain vaping scenario's. After using these and treating them accordingly, not smashing them hit after hit, I got 9 days out of each coils using sweet flavoured juice. No hints of a dry hit ever. You knew when you hadn't let it wick long enough between them as the flavour would drop significantly. Allowing 20 or so, more, seconds between draws though saw them work nicely. I cannot help but feel that so many of the early failures may be simply put down to chain vaping or not allowing sufficient time for the coils to wick between puffs/draws. They are small coils, have small wicking ports, dont smash them and they should last a reasonable time. Overall though these particular coils do not give an overwhelming vaping experience flavour and cloud wise. In fact I personally would place them on equal with just a good older wire wound stock coil. You wont be blowing huge clouds with these as neither will you be experiencing saturated flavour. I think this is for the most part due to their small size and low wattage power level of just 30 to 45 watt. The sweet spot being 35. Juice consumption as to be expected at lower wattage was low, much lower than cloud pumper higher wattage coils from other tanks or brands. So ill explain the coil life I experienced. As said they lasted 9 days of my typical vape usage, I guess I'm what you may call a moderate vaper. Imagine a 10 to 15 a day smoker and thats me with it substituted with vaping. Juice consumption over that 9 day period before the coil needed changing was just 60ml. But the usage rate was the same as others I have that would have drunk through 100ml easily. But like I said, I vaped on it for the same amount of time, just at lower wattage, hence lower juice consumption. Is this all a negative? To some it may be, but to others who just want a simple vape without pouring huge amounts of juice through their tanks it would suit them just fine. I dont mind this vaping style now and then to be honest and still do now and then use the older coil types as those who know me well enough will know is true. The Geek Vape coils are relatively cheap too. Others may not like the sound of it all though! But there is an up side to this tank, a very good up side, with it being that the Cerberus tank is compatible with a large array of coils from other manufacturers allowing for it to be used in a style you like whether that be clouds, flavour or both. You should be able to find a coil to suit. Here is a list of some coil compatibility, Coil Art Mage, Eleaf Ello, IJoy Exo S & X, Joyetech Pro Core Aries, Squid Industry Peacemaker, Vaporesso NRG, Vaptio Frogman, Wotoflow, Smok Baby Beast & there are some more I'm sure. It is a good tank the Cerberus and one which I'm sure would shine brighter with other coils put into play with it in place of those which are supplied. But do keep in mind battery safety if you plan on using other coils at higher wattage levels by checking that you won't be pushing them over what they can safely be used at. If not sure then definitely check using one of the various Ohms calculator's that can be easily found on the net.
MODTREE2.jpg

The Mod.
As most will know the Geek Vape mods are almost synonymous with the terms Waterproof, Dust proof and Shock proof. This Solo keeps up that tradition with a rating of IP67. Most of its build on the outer feels rubberised but is listed as being SLI Silicon and still retains the stitched leather grip section its bigger brother is well known for. The Silicon section can be a lint dust magnet in ways which is typical for that type of material. Its provides exceptional grip but also grips onto things like that very easily. A quick wipe with a damp cloth see's it gone instantly though if that kind of thing annoys you. You'll see what I mean in the photo's. It's frame is listed as Alloy giving it an incredibly light feel yet making it extremely tough. Up top it has an ample sized 510 capable of supporting tanks up to an impressive 31mm base width. This is held in place securely by 3 screws ensuring its sits solidly on the mod.
TOP 510.jpg

The battery hatch, I call it that as it reminds me so much of a Submarine's hatch that closes oh so securely. And this does just that. To open or close this you lift a small latch which is well recessed and out of the way in that hatch/door. There is no protruding or raised sections giving the base instability. This has been very well designed. In case for any reason the hatch seems tight to undo there is supplied a tool to use to give leverage when undoing it. Its such a well machined door hatch too with excellent sealing.
HATCH N TOOL.jpg

There is no battery rattle or perceivable movement with both battery types I tried, LG HG2 and a Sony VCT5A both fitting in and sealing up snuggly. The USB port is kept dry and dust proof by a bung style cover that pushes into it forming a seal between it and the Silicon outer part of the framework. Charging supports up to 1.5 amp charging and it does charge quite fast, even just using a 1 amp charger. Checking the battery after charge and comparing it to an external charger see's it doing a comparable job without pushing the battery.
CHARGE PORT.jpg

CHARGEV PORT2.jpg

The Power button is kind of an almost diamond shape and is nicely responsive when pressed. The Up and Down adjustment button is a single rocker style which too works perfectly. Scrolling slowly, say in Wattage mode will see increase or decrease in .1 watt increments, 30.1, 30.2, 30.3 and so on. That's by single tap of either the Up + or Down - button. A one second press will see the movement up or down be in a full 1% increment, 30, 31, 32.... Holding them though will see it scroll fast, by multiple increases or decreases. Holding them down for too long will see you easily overshoot where you were aiming for, but with little practice it becomes easy and second nature.
BUTTONS.jpg

Mode wise the Aegis Solo offers Wattage/Power mode, Bypass, Temperature, and Curve called VPC.
POWER SCREEN.jpg

Choosing your desired mode is simple and is done by the typical 3 click of the Fire button to enter the menu. Changing modes you simply scroll to the desired one you want via the Up/Down button. Once selected press the fire and you're in. You can change things there by now scrolling down by, still using the fire button, which will see you scroll down to various settings with each successive tap. Changes are made using the Up/Down. To confirm settings after you may have changed something and get back into action simply press and hold the fire button, doing this will see the chosen Mode icon go to a black background as opossed to the White it will be before confirming. For example, whilst in VPC changing settings, the VPC letters will be Black on a White background, after the long press getting you back into usage it will now be White VPC on a Black background.
VPC.jpg

It really is easy to get the hang of and if you do mess something up it's so easy to fix, you really shouldn't get lost.
Stealth mode, screen blackout whilst vaping, is easily entered by simply pressing the Fire button and both Up/Down (+ -) button at the same time. To deactivate Stealth simply repeat the procedure.
Screen Brightness can be adjusted also by pressing the Fire button and either the Up or Down button at the same time.
You can lock all adjustment's whilst in use, meaning you will be able to vape but not be able to accidentally make adjustments, by just pressing and holding the Up+/Down- buttons themselves at the same time. You will see a lock icon appear on screen above the W, V, F icon. To exit just repeat.
This really is a great little Mod and I honestly cannot personally fault it. I love everything about it. To be able to go fishing or detecting with this, without a worry in the world about getting moisture or water or dust on it, to be able to simply give it a wipe clean with a damp cloth is brilliant. Really, this type of waterproofing, dust proof, shock proofing that Geek Vape utilise in this and their other Mods really should be the standard for all. Its not like it costs any more than most other comparable sized mods so really there is no excuse. Especially considering what sits atop a mod! A liquid filled tank!
To be able to take your kit out with incoming inclemet weather and not having to worry about it.
FOG.jpg

Is pure Gold!
MOD ON COIL.jpg

All up I give this kit the thumbs up. The Solo Mod is fantastic and the perfect obvious choice for anyone who loves the outdoors. The Cerberus is a nice Tank, and although not the best I've ever used or seen it can take a huge amount of coils made by other manufacturers giving the user a wide range of coil options which more than amply makes up for any shortcomings otherwise, one being that it is really a 4 ml tank useable, not 5.5 ml as one would be forgiven for assuming that's what it is.
Great bit of kit though Geek Vape and many thanks again to Cortana and Health Cabin for letting me review it.
https://www.healthcabin.net/geekvape-aegis-solo-100w-mod-kit-p/21106.html

Last edited:
Nice, detailed review mate.

Another mod I want but will probably never buy cause I've got too many already!

Nice, detailed review mate.

Another mod I want but will probably never buy cause I've got too many already!
Thanks very much mate. Sorry, I missed this post from you. It surprised me, the mod, I can't personally find anything I dont like about it.

Back
Top Bottom