What's new

Matching 3D printed fire Button & Drip tips.

Just out of curiosity what filament are you making these with food grade ??

Good question and something I hadn't considered, It's PLA, is it food safe? simple answer is I have no idea so I have contacted the manufacturer to find out.

It's open to debate but it appears the consensus is that PLA itself is food safe, how ever by 3D printings nature it leaves tiny gaps which could harbour bacteria from the user mouth over time, it's recommended that tips should be washed in warm water with anti bacterial cleaner, which as it happens is also recommended for any drip tip.

I print drip tips at 0.1mm layer height with 100% infill which should in theory be solid, but at a microscopic scale there will still be gaps.

Bottom line is until I get a satisfactory answer I am putting DRIP TIP's on HOLD until I know more.

Shame as I was getting on well with designs, this was my DTL version V1.

Drip-Tip-DTL-V1.jpg

Good question and something I hadn't considered, It's PLA, is it food safe? simple answer is I have no idea so I have contacted the manufacturer to find out.

It's open to debate but it appears the consensus is that PLA itself is food safe, how ever by 3D printings nature it leaves tiny gaps which could harbour bacteria from the user mouth over time, it's recommended that tips should be washed in warm water with anti bacterial cleaner, which as it happens is also recommended for any drip tip.

I print drip tips at 0.1mm layer height with 100% infill which should in theory be solid, but at a microscopic scale there will still be gaps.

Bottom line is until I get a satisfactory answer I am putting DRIP TIP's on HOLD until I know more.

View attachment 183194

I'm amazed and impressed by the care and attention you give to all your projects. It's also really interesting to see the development process of your products and to be involved in this. :2thumbsup:

View attachment 183194

Hi mate, maybe I can let you know how mine went [emoji16]

I printed myself a tip a few months back with PLA - unfortunately it distorts at 60 degrees which is actually not very hot at all. What I mean is after a bit of chain vaping at like 80w - you could bend the tip on the atty lol.

Perhaps a MTL tip you may get away with it but a DTL tip, consider PETG or ABS (I’m unsure of the food safe status, check with the manufacturer for your chosen brand) but they both have a higher melting point!

PETG is really easy to print I found, ABS was almost impossible until I botched up some ropey looking enclosure - then it was fine.

Hope that helps out [emoji16]

I'm amazed and impressed by the care and attention you give to all your projects. It's also really interesting to see the development process of your products and to be involved in this. :2thumbsup:

Thank you :)

That's one of the great things about this forum, I've had so much help and advice in developing items, especially on the Billet Box, too many people to thank but I'm very grateful to all that have helped me along and a very generous member went as far as loaning me his Billet Box which made all the difference, got my own now and loving it :)

Spent a few hours refining the Condensation Plugs to the new Cotton Slot version, @Rob and @TartanSpartan have been testing them for me and they both agree they are worth making, I've now made a MTL and 2 DTL versions ready to print and trial (with an even larger cotton slot).

BilletBox-Cotton-Slot WIDE.jpg
BilletBox-Cotton-Slot-Medium v1.png
BilletBox-Cotton-Slot-MTL v1.jpg

Hi mate, maybe I can let you know how mine went [emoji16]

I printed myself a tip a few months back with PLA - unfortunately it distorts at 60 degrees which is actually not very hot at all. What I mean is after a bit of chain vaping at like 80w - you could bend the tip on the atty lol.

Perhaps a MTL tip you may get away with it but a DTL tip, consider PETG or ABS (I’m unsure of the food safe status, check with the manufacturer for your chosen brand) but they both have a higher melting point!

PETG is really easy to print I found, ABS was almost impossible until I botched up some ropey looking enclosure - then it was fine.

Hope that helps out [emoji16]

Nice one Lee, that really helps, I did wonder how they would perform at the higher temp range, though it's supposed to have a higher temp rating, but as you say it should be fine for MTL, I've been using the MTL since yesterday and it's not even got slightly warm.

I know ABS is a nono for food safe but some PETG's are rated safe, I have a reel of translucent Red PETG but failed miserably trying to print with it, gunked up my hotend big time, I had to strip the whole thing down and replace the nozzle and Bowden tube.

Would it be okay if I messaged you to tap your brain on PETG? I think it would make great panels.

Nice one Lee, that really helps, I did wonder how they would perform at the higher temp range, though it's supposed to have a higher temp rating, but as you say it should be fine for MTL, I've been using the MTL since yesterday and it's not even got slightly warm.

I know ABS is a nono for food safe but some PETG's are rated safe, I have a reel of translucent Red PETG but failed miserably trying to print with it, gunked up my hotend big time, I had to strip the whole thing down and replace the nozzle and Bowden tube.

Would it be okay if I messaged you to tap your brain on PETG? I think it would make great panels.

Sure! I’m by no means an expert but I don’t seem to have any issues printing the PETG - pot luck maybe [emoji23]

View attachment 183194

My understanding of food safe pla is if it contains no additives and is injection moulded but if 3D printing then you could use a good safe coating to cover all the nooks and crannies and again no additives.

I briefly looked it up ages

Theres a adapter that sits under a Vapresso ECU Drizzle coil so they can be used in the BB that you could look into making.

Back
Top Bottom