What's new

Reviews section - update

And it should be split in two for real reviews and reviews heaping nothing but praise on free stuff.
View attachment 169062

= The main reason for this is that the ‘entrepreneurs’ on here worked out that this approach is more profitable than just banging away at the giveaway threads.

The resultant content is of no value whatsoever, and devalues the community as a whole.

I might be tempted to call it "pod systems and compact AIOs" ... to include other pocket devices that aren't 'pods'

.... also what about kits? if a mod comes with a tank and the product being reviewed comes as a kit, it makes more sense to review them together.... especially if the mod and tank are pretty specific to each other?

Spot on with the AIOs, I do remember Rob saying this as well last week when we were chatting! Yes, kits were the other curveball I was trying to think of last night, I knew there was something else. Will have to add that in as well I reckon.

And it should be split in two for real reviews and reviews heaping nothing but praise on free stuff.

Fingers crossed the 100 post threshold should stop some of this. We did can one user last year who was tapping up all of the vendors on here to get #freeshit - it will happen again if we spot it so hopefully folk will continue reporting posters who try it on. As a group we should just be giving our honest opinion of products, we are more than happy with the vendors who contact active posters on here for feedback on products but asking them to send stuff in is a bit pants.

@junglist
Somewhat related could we get descriptions and imagery added to the RSS feeds. Would make a huge difference to those who RSS.

What about a tool review / accessory /mod making i.e. coil jig, 510 BF, atomiser stand. 3D printers etc and so forth probably could fit under same category.

Not sure about the RSS feeds, will try and have a look later but it's all controlled by the forum software so might need some hacking to get it to work.

Should have been specific, the list I posted was solely for Device Reviews, we do have a Misc Reviews forum which covers all the bits you mentioned and @Mawsley's wife's melons as well :)

Also, “Beginner set-ups” to replace egos? Of course there are those that want a 200w cloud machine for their first kit, but in my experience, lots of new starters just want a kit that they can load with juice and magically become an ex smoker.
I realise these kits would fit into some of the existing proposed sections, but if they were all grouped together then your average noob who wouldn’t know a genesis from a pod and thinks an RTA is a car crash would know exactly where to look.

You hit the nail on the head I think, a set up for a beginner could be MTL or sub ohm so it's always going to be a tricky one. I think we also need to come up with something that new users can refer to - something to help them see what bits of kit are value for money and reliable. @Tubbyengineer had an idea for a section on the site where forum members could rate their favourite bits of kit that could help as a guide for those who are unsure of what to buy. We also need a much bigger guides section written up to step people through what vaping is, the different types and buzzwords etc, will post something about needing help with this soon.

= The main reason for this is that the ‘entrepreneurs’ on here worked out that this approach is more profitable than just banging away at the giveaway threads.

The resultant content is of no value whatsoever, and devalues the community as a whole.

As my earlier reply above about this, I hope the 100 post limit the monitoring of user activity will encourage more long-term posters to give us their opinions and limit some of the fly-by-night posters who don't want to contribute to the community and just post reviews.

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone, much appreciated.

Fingers crossed the 100 post threshold should stop some of this. We did can one user last year who was tapping up all of the vendors on here to get #freeshit - it will happen again if we spot it so hopefully folk will continue reporting posters who try it on. As a group we should just be giving our honest opinion of products, we are more than happy with the vendors who contact active posters on here for feedback on products but asking them to send stuff in is a bit pants.

Similarly though, vendors should be savvy enough to vet the members doing this to ensure they are actually reviewing stuff first. If there's no other meaningful reviews around from the member already for stuff they have purchased it ought to set off alarm bells before they agree to send stuff out.

Similarly though, vendors should be savvy enough to vet the members doing this to ensure they are actually reviewing stuff first. If there's no other meaningful reviews around from the member already for stuff they have purchased it ought to set off alarm bells before they agree to send stuff out.
True.
I've been very surprised how many new members have come directly in as reviewers. I'm sure the post limit junglist mentioned helps but still.
As you know I review a bit and to be honest I don't know where these guy's find the time. It can be a chore. I Loose money on everything I'm sent for review.
The only exception is the occasional juice that I may finish but everything else costs me the outbound postage to whoever I send it on to.
I still enjoy doing an occasional one though and have been lucky enough to review for vape or juice companies that are receptive to me asking for specific stuff. There's little point me reviewing items I know apes will have zero intrest in and honestly more often than not I get items that I've seen the most general interest in on here even though they may not be for me.

As above, but it does become a tad frustrating when people moan about reviewers getting free stuff. It isn't free a review takes hours to do both the write up and the time spent getting to know the device, plus as mentioned by @eyeball kid , some of the items get given away to family or friends etc which means the reviewer has gained nout.
Yes some reviewers big up everything which i agree is wrong so watch, read a few reviews on whatever the item is. That way you can decipher the pro's and cons. But the whole moaning thing is another incidence of folks poking noses into others business and everyone will i think agree that no one wants other folks moaning about them, no matter what it is to do with. It can also be perceived as jealousy. There is a solution which is don't read or watch reviews.
The only thing that i don't like with some reviewers and it is the youtube reviewers is those who also get payed for reviewing now to me this is why they do the glowing reviews.

As above, but it does become a tad frustrating when people moan about reviewers getting free stuff. It isn't free a review takes hours to do both the write up and the time spent getting to know the device, plus as mentioned by @eyeball kid , some of the items get given away to family or friends etc which means the reviewer has gained nout.
Yes some reviewers big up everything which i agree is wrong so watch, read a few reviews on whatever the item is. That way you can decipher the pro's and cons. But the whole moaning thing is another incidence of folks poking noses into others business and everyone will i think agree that no one wants other folks moaning about them, no matter what it is to do with. It can also be perceived as jealousy. There is a solution which is don't read or watch reviews.
The only thing that i don't like with some reviewers and it is the youtube reviewers is those who also get payed for reviewing now to me this is why they do the glowing reviews.
Agree bud.
I completely disagree with payed review's within a forum style environment and you tube but I suppose YouTube is changing and hasn't been a "people's platform" for a while. I get it within a magazine or magazine webpage but not here.
As you rightly say the answer is to just read the review of members you trust.
I wouldn't watch a rip trippers video and to be honest I watch most YouTube videos for entertainment value rather than serious content.

Agree bud.
I completely disagree with payed review's within a forum style environment and you tube but I suppose YouTube is changing and hasn't been a "people's platform" for a while. I get it within a magazine or magazine webpage but not here.
As you rightly say the answer is to just read the review of members you trust.
I wouldn't watch a rip trippers video and to be honest I watch most YouTube videos for entertainment value rather than serious content.
Couldn't resist.
xI4y0E9.jpeg

Agree with both of your comment guys. If you don't like or agree with the review simply don't read or watch it. I really enjoy reviewing. I'm fortunate to have a lot of spare time but it takes a lot more time than people think to do it. I'm hoping as time goes on I will improve my reviews.

One reviewer i know definately gets payed. He ranted at Hotcig because he had an R150 that stopped working, he probably shorted himself by putting batteries in wrong. He wanted another device then ranted that Hotcig should be paying him to do the review as he charges other companies, plus he acted like a prat in the group chat that Hotcig set up and guess what happened. Yep Hotcig closed the thing down and the 6 of us never got anything else to review. He slagged the mod and Hotcig off on youtube and then started asslicking Hotcig after they sent him another R150. So would i trust what he says no.
The 2 reviewers who i do trust are P.B and DJlsb

Last edited:
I read this with interest

and I will throw a category in that will help me and other makers

I have to send items to get reviewed as a maker it cost me dearly in time and money after all the cost of making is taken out

as a maker, I have to send stuff for free to reviewers so I can gain business it is a vicious circle

what would help me and other modmakers on potv is a review section not just for us members but any bespoke small maker of stands cases mods etc that are small one-man bands that make one-off items?

its just a suggestion but I see the little guys are the next major players (I'm not blowing my own trumpet here) but I do see small outfits like tippymodz, abstract etc making small mods that the big boys start to copy but those small makers get no credit

Back
Top Bottom