What's new

Plus ohm with silica

Do you dry burn coils with the wick already in?

I put a little juice on the silica to help with the wicking process then pulsed the coil until it started to glow. Then I noticed smoke coming from it after I stopped the pulsing. So I pulsed a few more times and them flames appeared. Binned the coils and silica after that, didn't even attempt to vape it.
Silica is supposed to be temperature resistant to over 1500C, so it shouldn't be burning. Get some decent silica! :D

I got mine from Stealthvape and have never managed to set fire to it!

http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/silica-wick?filter_name=silica

I figured the silica was crappy but oddly it didn't catch fire when I took a ciggy lighter to one to check. Just went a little black. Will order some proper stuff and try again. Thanks

I put a little juice on the silica to help with the wicking process then pulsed the coil until it started to glow. Then I noticed smoke coming from it after I stopped the pulsing. So I pulsed a few more times and them flames appeared. Binned the coils and silica after that, didn't even attempt to vape it.

I figured the silica was crappy but oddly it didn't catch fire when I took a ciggy lighter to one to check. Just went a little black. Will order some proper stuff and try again. Thanks
Ive learned something.
Didnt know it was meant to be fire proof.

Actually, if you dry burn it ....... it should be DRY - what you had sounds more like burning juice? Try again totally dry before binning them!

@StrawberryRipple you kind of have to form your coils around the silica, so there is little chance of dry-burning without the wick in. Many people used to tell you to burn the wick before using too, just to get rid of any impurities. :)

Actually, if you dry burn it ....... it should be DRY - what you had sounds more like burning juice? Try again totally dry before binning them!

@StrawberryRipple you kind of have to form your coils around the silica, so there is little chance of dry-burning without the wick in. Many people used to tell you to burn the wick before using too, just to get rid of any impurities. :)
I should have known this as i used the iclear16's for three years but never tried rebuilding them but presume its the same stuff?
Like silky string?

I should have known this as i used the iclear16's for three years but never tried rebuilding them but presume its the same stuff?
Like silky string?
That's the stuff. It has no 'fluffity' at all, which is why it's best to wrap the coil around it rather than try to stuff it into a pre-formed one! :D

I started by rebuilding stock coils for the Innokin Gladius, which would have been pretty similar. :)

When the wick was wet, vape came off the coils no bother while I was blowing gently on it. Once the vape stopped and the coils started to glow, the wick started smoking before going on fire. The wick also split in two when I pulled it out the coil, so I think they were just crappy fake-silica wicks that go on fire.

My aim is to taste test concentrates quickly without rewicking, so I'll need real silica that can take being dry burned. Got some on order now and will try again when it arrives

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom