What's new

Cleaning and Polishing Mirror-finish Brass

wraith

Achiever
Anyone have any recommendations? Don't want to risk anything too harsh.

I've heard somewhere that tomato ketchup is good for that...dunno how you would 'apply' said wonder sauce but I'm sure I've seen peeps mention it on this forum too for keeping mechs shiney.

Cape cod cleaning cloths, they seem expensive but last forever, I've been using one out of a two pack for well over a year now :)

I've heard somewhere that tomato ketchup is good for that...dunno how you would 'apply' said wonder sauce but I'm sure I've seen peeps mention it on this forum too for keeping mechs shiney.

Anything with acid in it works for cleaning. Vinegar is great for cleaning threads.

You need to rinse it, though, and/or neutralise with an alkaline like baking soda.

I should have been a bit more specific as this is to clean/polish the brass faceplate on a high-end wood mod so sticking it under the tap is not an oprion.

ah I believe the malic acid and citric acid in ketchup is what gives it the edge over plain vinegar. I was just looking the ketchup thing up there and someone mentioned using windex spray and a good polish with a soft cloth...I assume that's summat for glass and not some anti-flatulence medicine ;)

Toothpaste works fine....

Once it's all nice and shiny give it a coat of car wax

Back
Top Bottom