What's new

Swapping one addiction for another...

yappycat

Achiever
Arrgh...people....mekkin me so mad!!

Was in the park earlier today, enjoying the rare sun, and a lass with a ciggie approached me and asked if 'that thing' was any help giving up the cigs. That 'thing' ofc being my vape ;)
We had a fairly pleasant chat about vaping but as I got up to leave she said,

'but you haven't really given up anything, you just swapped one addiction for another...'

I avoided the temptation to argue about it or bool her into the lake for activating rage mode on such a fine day...she was about double my weight anyway lol
But I been thinking about it since and well, we're not swapping addictions are we...we're still big fans of nicotine as we were when we smoked. From another perspective tho, we have swapped cigarettes for mods n' juice. Even if that's the case...should we be more like - so what, nicotine isn't that harmful and as was mentioned in another thread somewhere here, we have given something up...all the combusted shite in tobacco cigarettes.
I've tied my brain up in knots now tho, I was filled with such righteous indignity at the time but now I'm home I'm wondering if essentially she was so wrong...and if she wasn't wrong, then why does it matter to me? After all she's the one still puffing on a cancer stick not me ;) Or is that an attempt to oversimplify the matter, and it's more of a grey area than a simple black and white issue? I was thinking of blogging on it, as I tend to write about what's on my mind and I have no exciting vape expo shenanigans to talk about lol so I'm interested to hear what you folk think when you hear that ridiculously annoying 'haven't given anything up' line. If I do blog on it I might quote any corkers, so if ya don't wanna be quoted then say so :) If anyone has read anything interesting in a similar vein then lemme know that too - I like to include a bit of science where I can :D

Yeah I'm of the belief that I've swapped one addiction for another. I still need nicotine, I'm still getting nicotine albeit from a much healthier source. I could go round in circles with it and say I've not swapped it, I've just continued an addiction but changed the delivery method in which I deliver my drug of choice but my head is mince already and it's been a long shitey day so I'm not gonna over think it :D

The way I explain it to people is that I am continuing my nicotine addiction but have given up all the other 3000 nasty chemicals in tobacco, so yes, I have given something up - I have given up inhaling all the tar and toxins that are well known to cause cancer and am just continuing with the nicotine, which, whilst not being harmless, is far (at least 95%) less harmful than tobacco.

It's all about harm reduction.

.... I don't smoke any more, that's all I care about and for me it really is that simple.

To me no addiction has been swapped it continues onward . The habit has been swapped for a purer delivery method but it's all semantics on the addiction front. I guess she wasnt paraphrasing you directly more likely justifying her own chain of thought.

Why care about people's opinions? As long as you're happy doing what you're doing[emoji846]

This vaping hobby is a way to keep busy and off tobacco. Of course it is. Addiction? Not so sure about that. The worry will be there with me for a long time that I might go back to smoking so I carry on with messing about with devices and juices. I'm past the stage where I vape in the same way I smoked because it's not practical to vape and do most things because you need at least one hand free where the danger with smoking was hanging the stick from the mouth while doing stuff, a bad habit. I never feel a craving for a vape or for a nicotine buzz but I enjoy it and am not bothered by going a few hours without and don't feel the urge to vape before fully awake. I enjoy it like I enjoy coffee. Not worried about nicotine, I do not believe it's harmful and suspect it has real health benefits. Think vaping risks are down to individuals as to how much care to take over coil materials and juice quality and looking after devices and power sources.
Smoking was like an addiction, vaping is a hobby cum habit cum ritual.

Addictions are very very human.
The difference is that there are some quite unhealthy and destructive addictions and some that are rather harmless.
The dose creates the poison in most cases though....an addiction to sports is classified as good...too much of it may be unhealthy too.
Many people i know are addicted to coffee, sugar, smartphones, tv,...
Am i addicted to vaping? Yeah probably...so what? :)

when some one says that to me i just cop a deaf un & ignore the stupid, not worth the time & effort ;)

.... I don't smoke any more, that's all I care about and for me it really is that simple.

Exactlt the same here! You cant educate thick cunts on anything, you dont have to justify yourself, just wear a nice big smug grin :D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom