What's new

Cant update my Smok Alien...

Sorry for asking a daft question but what are the benefits in updating the firmware? Like MrDj said, if it aint broke....

ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1486929358.103311.jpg

Sorry for asking a daft question but what are the benefits in updating the firmware? Like MrDj said, if it aint broke....
I know. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The fire button sometimes misfired, it was a fix for that & something to do with the SS temp control. I guess I thought it would be simple, like we update and download other devices don't we? Mobile phone software, apps etc etc, so I thought, well they've made an improvement so I'll update it. I thought it would be a case of plug in, download...job done. Obviously something has failed somewhere whether ive done it wrong or not I'm not 100% sure yet.

I know. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. The fire button sometimes misfired, it was a fix for that & something to do with the SS temp control. I guess I thought it would be simple, like we update and download other devices don't we? Mobile phone software, apps etc etc, so I thought, well they've made an improvement so I'll update it. I thought it would be a case of plug in, download...job done. Obviously something has failed somewhere whether ive done it wrong or not I'm not 100% sure yet.
I know exactly what you mean m8, i was eventually gonna get round to updating mine until i seen this and similar threads about bricked devices. Not worth the risk imo.

I know exactly what you mean m8, i was eventually gonna get round to updating mine until i seen this and similar threads about bricked devices. Not worth the risk imo.
Thing is theres that many topics, threads, posts on here its hard to keep upto date with everything, I don't know how people manage to spot these things???. Obviously if id have seen what happened to them then I wouldn't have updated mine. Ive not seen any other mod with a screen as nice as the Alien. Anyway, its an excuse to buy a new mod now, but this time, I think I'll go more for reliability and customer service incase things go wrong again(hopefully not).

I'm leaning towards the Evolv chipsets. Everyone seems to mention these more than any other.

You can't brick these really, if it wont turn on simply reflash it with the correct update :)God dam user error :) oh and reading the instructions in the 1st place might help ;)

I've had 2 so called "bricked" ones in my hand from mates and got them running again, because I read the instructions and used the correct rom file.

If might be nice if you explain how to do that as obviously a lot of people in this thread are unaware how simple it is to fix.

I just read the instructions, but I can see why people get it wrong.

1. Take out the batts before upgrading.
2. You have to hold the fire button all the time during the upgrade.

3. There are 2 versions of firmware either A or B for the Alien. Version A will display V1.x.x when powered on (newest is V1.2.11), while Version B will display VB1.x.x (newest is VB1.0.2). So make sure yknow what device version you have and download the corresponding zip file before upgrading.

4. So for the fix, if you have tried to upgrade using the wrong version by mistake (which the people I have done the fix for did) simply redo the flash process with the other file (see below).

So for VersionA you need this tool and firmware;
https://odhk2xgq4.qnssl.com/file/1484732200857j6azou9t8s8y.zip

For VersionB you need this tool and firmware;
https://odhk2xgq4.qnssl.com/file/1486431922325oenbitvbei94b5dhi0vbo6r.zip

Also read the instructions for the flash tool, which is in the manual or on Smok's website.

Back
Top Bottom