What's new

TC Clapton Coil Help

MightyMouth

Postman
Hey All,

I just got a TC mod and want to start building my own coils for it, I currently build my coils with Kanthal but I guess this doesn’t work with TC. The mod is a Smok Micro 150 mod with a Smok Minos Dual Coil RBA and can take SS, NI and TI. I am wondering what the best material is to use and what gauges to buy? Any suggestions or help is appreciated. TIA

If it's Claptons you want to build, 316L stainless will be best. For dual coils 28/32 would be ideal. If you're happy with single coils, a 26 AWG core would be fine.

Thanks, I may go with the pre-made as it is cheap enough.

Just wondering what makes SS better than Ti ot Ni?
Ti would be fine as a material, but it is quite tricky to work with even for single wire builds as it is springy. I think it would be a living hell to try to make Claptons with. :D

NI200 is just a shit wire that has had its day. There's really no place for it in today's TC vaping, imo. If you Claptoned it, you'd struggle to an impossible degree to get a high enough resistance, for one thing.

If you just want a great TC vape in an easy to work with wire, have a look at 29 AWG (dual coil) and 28 AWG (single coil) Stealthvape NiFe30 for single wire builds. It works in Ni mode.

Great info, thanks.
Thanks, very welcome. I'm sure you already know, but just in case, a couple of other things necessary for a great TC vape are:

1. Only build spaced coils.
2. Wick looser than you would for Kanthal. Very, VERY minimal resistance when pulling through the coil is ideal.

Best of luck.

Thanks, very welcome. I'm sure you already know, but just in case, a couple of other things necessary for a great TC vape are:

1. Only build spaced coils.
2. Wick looser than you would for Kanthal. Very, VERY minimal resistance when pulling through the coil is ideal.

Best of luck.

Thanks again,

I was aware of the coil spacing but not about the wick.

I've been trying to get a decent build using the clapton coils and they are ok for a day or two but the coils seem to gum up quickly and I have to clean and rewick much more frequently than I have had before. Is this a symptom of having to space the coils out or am I simply doing something wrong?

Coil gunking is almost entirely juice related ime. I can run Heisenberg for weeks on a ss Clapton with no gunking, but some tobacco juices gunk up very quickly. Sweet juices are notorious for it also. Fortunately you can dry bur ss to restore the coil.

Back
Top Bottom