What's new

Custards, where to start

doc pollock

Initiate
Hi all.

I`ve mixed a few of these myself but I have not been to impressed as of yet.

Any recommendations for a quick simple mix for using on its own or adding to other flavours.

I understand that some people combine custard with others creams etc.

Here`s a selection of what I already have stocked.

Vanilla Custard (cap)

Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, French Vanilla Crème

Vanilla Bean Gelato, Bavarian Cream

And mix of other creams and whipped creams

For me it could just be a simple case of needing some sweetener, but I really don`t know.

Ooh, custards. As with all juices, it's down to taste. Are you using v1 Capella vanilla custard? The v2 gets really bad reviews. There are so many recipes out there, it's best to try a few different ones.

I normally use 10-15%cap van custard, I often use Bavarian cream or sweet cream (normally about 2%), dulce de leche (1-2%) and EM (0.5-2%).

I have also used Capella brown sugar, and liked that, but keep the % really low, at around 0.5%. I once mixed at 2% and it was way too strong!

If you want a biscuity custard then graham cracker used to be the most popular additive for it, but Capella New York cheesecake is nice too.

I don't have much experience with ice cream/ gelato concentrates so can't really help much with them I'm afraid. [emoji106]

Thanks, I`ve got a 50ml bottle of Capella`s vanilla custard but I could not tell you what version it is, this one came from make my vape.

I tried a few online custard recipes but they always ended up tasting pretty rank, far to strong on the flavour for me, especially after a good steep, they might be good for mouth to lunger`s but I like a good airy vape, as a result I`ve ended up with a good collection of concentrates to play around with, so its not all bad,

Most of my ADV`s don`t go much beyond 10 or 12% with the flavours but I`m struggling a bit with my custard mixes.

I might give this mix a whirl.

Strawberry (Ripe) 6%
Vanilla Custard 4%
Bavarian Cream 3%
Graham cracker 2%

And add a touch of EM or sweetener.

I can't stand Capella custard, but I accept I'm in the minority.

If you want a simple, creamy custard, try Cupcake World. It has no background taste and is a perfect blank canvas for other recipes.

Answering @doc pollock and @tobywonkanobi - You'll notice a kind of over the edge chemical or plastic taste in the Capella Vanilla Custard v2. Same thing with the TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato.
I have both and also have the v1 and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and you can't substitute one for the other in either case.

For those worried about diacetyl, should use v2/gelato which were created with low/none percentage of it.
Both Capella Vanilla Custard v1 and TFA VBIC have lots of diacetyl in them, hence tasting so good and buttery.

About the Vanilla Custard recipe...
For a good undertone cream you can use 1% TFA Whipped Cream with 1% FA Meringe and 2% FA Marshmallow and for the top and mid notes you defo want Capella Vanilla Custard v1 (would suggest around 4 or 5%) and then throw in a couple of vanilla creams and caramel and finally for that mellow sweetness some FW butterscotch. Just don't go over 18%~20% in the sum of all flavours as less is always more. If needed add 1 to 5 drops of Ethyl Maltol per 10ml, if the flavours are not mixed properly after 2 or 3 weeks.
And let it breathe for a couple of hours if you find the smell a bit chemical too.
This is basically what I did when I wasn't sick of the vanilla custard ejuices. Hope it helps.

Answering @doc pollock and @tobywonkanobi - You'll notice a kind of over the edge chemical or plastic taste in the Capella Vanilla Custard v2. Same thing with the TFA Vanilla Bean Gelato.
I have both and also have the v1 and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and you can't substitute one for the other in either case.

For those worried about diacetyl, should use v2/gelato which were created with low/none percentage of it.
Both Capella Vanilla Custard v1 and TFA VBIC have lots of diacetyl in them, hence tasting so good and buttery.

About the Vanilla Custard recipe...
For a good undertone cream you can use 1% TFA Whipped Cream with 1% FA Meringe and 2% FA Marshmallow and for the top and mid notes you defo want Capella Vanilla Custard v1 (would suggest around 4 or 5%) and then throw in a couple of vanilla creams and caramel and finally for that mellow sweetness some FW butterscotch. Just don't go over 18%~20% in the sum of all flavours as less is always more. If needed add 1 to 5 drops of Ethyl Maltol per 10ml, if the flavours are not mixed properly after 2 or 3 weeks.
And let it breathe for a couple of hours if you find the smell a bit chemical too.
This is basically what I did when I wasn't sick of the vanilla custard ejuices. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the reply, there`s plenty to take on board, all useful.

I have a strong suspicion that my Vanilla custard could be version 2 and I have plenty of it, 50ml :)

My go to is;

Vanilla V1 - 18%
French vanilla delux - 5%
De leche - 2%
Sweetener 1-2%

All Cappella, now if you leave that for just 6 months...!

leave Capella v1 vanilla custard in cupboard and forget for 6 months, then it tastes great lol

I have been through many custard concentrates and capella v1 (this is what you have as make my vape do not stock the v2) imho is by far the best. I never go over 15% as the longer it steeps it can become a bit like cardboard at high % plu I dislike it when its used over 15%. That is my tastes though and yours may differ but 4% is very low, if i was using it at that percentage I would add 2% vanillin added and 3-4% vanilla swirl with bavarian cream at 2-4% to lift it a bit.

Back
Top Bottom