What's new

Latest Advice in Relation to TPD

with TPD coming I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the bigger brands buying up some of the smaller ones,
Also heard that some of the big tobacco companies will try and buy the really big US companies like cuttwood etc, can't remember where I heard that though

Thanks for making 67 yr old sound really old lol. I started vaping at 69 after heart attack so I must be classed as ancient !. Mind you, I don`t mix my own liquids. Wife moans about me claiming a cupboard & 2 drawers in the kitchen & the freezer is hers. Anyway, I can`t be arsed. However, the guy in my local vape shop says that, when the time comes, he will put 30ml or the quantity I want of my favourite mix along with 10ml bottle of nic on the counter (the nic is not a vapable product so it`s not covered by TPD). I can then take home & mix or do it in the shop. He can watch me do the mix, give me advice & it`s ok as long as he`s not doing it. So I`m quite happy.

Sounds like a very helpful B&M. Spot on too.

Wasnt meant to make the age sound old dude ... just a random hypothetical situation!

In truth I thought it would be more likely a 67 year old actually read the papers than an 18 year old :)

Us silver vapers do a lot more than just read tabloids! Researched vaping properly and went to a decent B&M where I spent a good hour vaping and tasting all the juices they had.
I always do a finger and tongue test on juice, completely harmless.

with TPD coming I wouldn't be surprised if we see some of the bigger brands buying up some of the smaller ones,
Also heard that some of the big tobacco companies will try and buy the really big US companies like cuttwood etc, can't remember where I heard that though

TW already cornering as much of the market as they can and that Russian venture that sells juice globally I see it everywhere in corner shops, fuel stations.
Tobacco are heavily invested. JTI lobbied heavily to get the TRPRegs quashed ...

About to really go to task with this, making a hybrid email from some of those posted here, so thanks guys! Will start some twitter work aswell

Big Tobacco are throwing everything at this worldwide. I even saw an article from the Mayo Clinic in America stating that it's nicotine that causes cancer, not the other 999 chemicals so vapers are still at major risk. They must have paid a ridiculous amount to get a respected medical group to make such a stupid statement.

Two things are certain in the future; they WILL discover health risks associated to vaping - stands to reason that inhaling anything other than fresh air had got to be bad. Second is that whatever they find it will still be nowhere near as harmful as smoking.

'Fatal Motion' tabled in the House of Lords. Is this the end of TPD Article 20 for the UK?

VAPERS OF THE UK: NOW IS YOUR LAST CHANCE TO TAKE POSITIVE ACTION TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO VAPE!!

In an astonishing eleventh hour move, Lord Callanan - who many will remember as former MEP Martin Callanan, one of a small group who fought so valiantly to prevent Article 20 from being dragged up from the bowels of hell and put into law - has tabled a 'fatal motion' to kill off the TPD, and prevent its being implemented into UK law.

Make no mistake about it, this is a critical development, so let's examine why:

As already discussed, Lord Callanan was a leading voice in the successful efforts to block compulsory medicinal regulation at the European Parliament vote in October 2013 - medicinal regulation which would have completely wiped out any hope of legal vaping, leaving us with nothing but the black market to turn to. He is a hugely experienced senior politician, and we believe it is entirely fair to say that no other politician has been more effective at defending vaping than he has.

Under 'Motions relating to Delegated Legislation', we can read the glorious official wording:

Callanan%20motion%20snip.PNG

Procedurally, there will be a debate in the House of Lords (yes, another one - we're sure everyone is still enjoying the last Lords debate (video(link is external) and transcript(link is external)) on this issue, led by another Vapers' Hero, Viscount Ridley), but crucially, this debate will be followed by a vote. Parliamentary rules dictate that, if the Lords agree to this motion,the statutory instrument implementing the TPD in the UK will fall. Such procedures are called 'fatal motions' because the regulations are killed outright and do not go back to the Commons.

(A note for fellow Political Geeks: the Lords have until 10th June to vote against this delegated legislation. That will mark the end of the 40 days of "praying time" during which a successful motion can block the statutory instrument. This is the case, even though the law will have gone into effect from tomorrow, 20th May 2016.)

Although ECITA remains firmly opposed to the provisions relating to vaping products in the TPD, we do support regulation for the industry. However, we believe it should be fit for purpose and proportionate, not flung together behind closed doors at the last minute - as happened with the TPD.

The only thing which could stop this motion being debated and voted on would be if Lord Callanan were pressurised (perhaps by Downing Street?) to withdraw his motion.

It seems unlikely that Lord Callanan would bow to such pressure, however, since he has clearly already decided that tabling this 'fatal motion' is the right thing to do.

But what's the political context for this vote? Well, we heard from a fairly long list of peers during last week's debate what their views on vaping are - and they were all very supportive. Even the minister (despite being rightly accused of being 'mealy mouthed' about it). However, all members of the Upper House will have the opportunity to vote on this motion, and some of them may not be so enlightened as those we heard from last week. This is part of the vapers' opportunity: WRITE TO THEM!!! EDUCATE THEM!!! Tell them, in no uncertain terms, that YOU will absolutely vote to leave the EU precisely because of poisonous and harmful EU Directives such as TPD Article 20.

So what would happen if the vote succeeds, and Lord Callanan's motion is carried? Well, technically, the EU could start "infraction proceedings" against the UK for not fully implementing Article 20. But would they really want to do this - at this crucial time? It would look very bad; Brussels needs to be making friends with the Brits, not encouraging anti-EU sentiment, which (let's face it) is already running pretty high - particularly amongst vapers!

Can we succeed?

There are many more of us now than there were in 2013, when Vaper Power helped to win the European Parliament vote. Back then, there were a mere 1.3 million vapers in the UK. Now, there are at least 2.8 million of us.

Westminster and Brussels have multiple good reasons to be helpful: politicians are seeing the evidence that some of the EU rules are no longer fit for purpose - and in many cases, speaking out publicly about this. But far more fundamentally, they don't want vapers deciding their referendum votes on this issue.

CALL TO ACTION:

If ever there was a day for vaper power, this is it. The Twittersphere is already abuzz, but why not add your voice? Send your support for the #LordsVapeVote to @Number10gov @MartinCallanan @jeremycorbyn.

PLEASE don't just rely on Twitter though: we need to fill their email inboxes again! Write to your MP, MEP, Lords representative, and anyone else you can think of. Contact all the high profile Brexiteers we keep seeing and hearing on the news. Educate them about your experiences, and tell them what it means for you in your life.

Those who are campaigning for us to stay in the EU keep telling us that we have sovereignty, that we have control, as citizens of the UK; perhaps this motion can allow them the opportunity to prove that this is actually the case - and if so, perhaps even we can be persuaded to change our vote from an emphatic OUT on 23rd June. Stranger things have happened....

We lost but we should still fight to have this stupid EU law that is the TPD thrown out before it's too late folks

Back
Top Bottom