What's new

POLL, steeping: Daylight or Dark space ?

Dark place or light place

• Light place

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Dark place

Votes: 61 83.6%

• Total voters

apollo118

Postman
Just curious, I Leave my juices in room so has Daylight [Not direct sunlight] some seem to put into dark cupboard, please vote.

It's one of life's great mysteries that people go through all sorts of rigmarole to speed up steeping - hot baths, whisking, ultrasonic cleaners, then store their juice in dark cupboards which slows it down.

I use clear glass or PET bottles, left in the light, then put them in the fridge once they've reached perfection.

It's one of life's great mysteries that people go through all sorts of rigmarole to speed up steeping - hot baths, whisking, ultrasonic cleaners, then store their juice in dark cupboards which slows it down.

I use clear glass or PET bottles, left in the light, then put them in the fridge once they've reached perfection.
I Actually mix 500 ml and leave in clear plastic bottle for four weeks in daylight then bottle in dark bottles.

Sunlight degrades nicotine I believe,so short of putting them in dark glass,it’s the cupboard for me.

then put them in the fridge once they've reached perfection.
Does putting them in the fridge do anything then?
I put mine in a desk drawer and I've just realised that my PC's exhaust fan blows hot air almost directly onto the back of it, so its quite a few degrees hotter than room temp in there.

Sunlight degrades nicotine I believe,so short of putting them in dark glass,it’s the cupboard for me.

Degradation of nicotine is steeping. So don't you want your juices to steep?

Does putting them in the fridge do anything then?
I put mine in a desk drawer and I've just realised that my PC's exhaust fan blows hot air almost directly onto the back of it, so its quite a few degrees hotter than room temp in there.

It stops or slows steeping - once you're happy with your juice you need to stop any further steeping if you have a large amount.

Degradation of nicotine is steeping. So don't you want your juices to steep?

So I absolutely want my juices to steep, but i want to have the minimum degradation possible. Degradation would result in less nicotine content. My understanding of what happens when you step eliquid is that you are oxidising it,and diffusion is occurring between the molecules. Which is different from degradation. It’s why nicotine that changes colour shouldn’t have its strength changed(or very little).

Nicotine is actually quite a stable compound, I believe I’ve seen studies where in indirect sunlight suspended in pg, after two months the nicotine will have only degraded in strength by 2.1%. When steeping the more volatile compounds (ie the flavourings) and the nicotine are oxidising Which results in flavour changes as the compounds do.

If while steeping the nicotine was degrading(by a significant amount) the longer the steep the lower the strength of the juice nicotine would be, which I believe has proven to not be the case, and presumably would have a large effect on sellers of Ejuice as the nicotine strength they mixed at and sell at would be different.

I’m not a chemist in any way shape or form but have done a little reading around the matter and had a quick conversation with my brother in law who is a molecular chemist, so that’s what’s formed my opinion. I may be way out!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom