What's new

EU Nicotine users survey

Designed by nicotine consumers?

Who've never considered that vapers might DIY their own juice?

Perhaps they see no benefit to vapers from drawing attention to that side of the market.
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more sort of thing.

Perhaps they see no benefit to vapers from drawing attention to that side of the market.
Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more sort of thing.
Maybe, though they did mention the black market ...
If the aim is to get an understanding of the behavioural changes, both intended and unintended, of various proposed legislation and potential taxation changes, you'd think they would want the best understanding ... not leaving bits and pieces to assumption or pretending that it doesn't exist.

It won't have been the intention of the TPD to create the shortfill market, it wasn't an intention that stockpiles of 72mg/ml nic would be held in household freezers up and down the land. People are resilient, resourceful and find workarounds. In the lead up to the TPD more vapers stepped into DIY, many more wish they had. Vapers buying shortfills are one step closer to DIY, more legislation/taxation might push them to take another step.

Turning a blind eye is a possible explanation though.

aye, by the black market i assumed they were talking about the people who buy from retailers that provide larger volumes, or higher nic strength, than what is permitted by the tpd, as opposed to getting a couple of 100ml bottles of custard biscuit from a dodgy guy in the pub or round the back of the shops. so for that reason i thought it strange there was no mention of diy.

aye, by the black market i assumed they were talking about the people who buy from retailers that provide larger volumes, or higher nic strength, than what is permitted by the tpd, as opposed to getting a couple of 100ml bottles of custard biscuit from a dodgy guy in the pub or round the back of the shops. so for that reason i thought it strange there was no mention of diy.

You are thinking about the black market that might exist now.
If nicotine was to be taxed to make it similar in cost to smoking fags then other markets would open up.

When you can legally buy an 18mg juice for £1 that would last most vapers a few days the black market opportunities are limited.
If that amount of legal nicotine from the cheapest brands started costing £5 or £10 due to tax (still cheaper than most smokers spend) then you would find the guy in the pub or under the counter at the local market selling it just like they sell baccy now.

You are thinking about the black market that might exist now.
If nicotine was to be taxed to make it similar in cost to smoking fags then other markets would open up.

When you can legally buy an 18mg juice for £1 that would last most vapers a few days the black market opportunities are limited.
If that amount of legal nicotine from the cheapest brands started costing £5 or £10 due to tax (still cheaper than most smokers spend) then you would find the guy in the pub or under the counter at the local market selling it just like they sell baccy now.

aye you could be right, maybe that’s what they meant. i suppose you could maybe say the current situation i referred to is a grey market. not entirely legit, but not exactly the black market.

Proposals to the Commission will include the ban on sale of nic base as well as some kind of flavour ban - whether the latter will be by chemical or description is a minefield they’ve yet to lay.

Shortfills will be targeted. Battery specifications are already being worked on. Medicalisation will return to the debate. Plain packaging will be in the mix.

And taxation to protect dem kidz.

The process is underway, these conversations are happening now. We need to make our voice loud.

Sign up as a supporter of the NNA for free to receive updates https://nnalliance.us10.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=28b82446f346fa11a94508e3a&id=0d905938b1

Last time we manage to get the worst aspects of the TPD removed through collective action. We have to do that same again.

joined but no confirmation email received so fek knows whats going on there.

Back
Top Bottom