What's new

Zeus x mesh problems

Our minds are perfectly synced in this regard. Exactly this.

The constant mantra of "super tight" on wicking mesh strips that started with the Profile is all wrong. Can't be loose either, but super tight is a deadly recipe for dry hits. Which was the bane of my life for a good while. Learned it the hard (and long) way.

That's why I went for the Wotofo cotton on my first build last night rather than using the stuff that came with the Geek Vape strips. Just seemed far too thick and, considering cotton expands, you need some room under the coil for the juice to get in so compressing the fibres together too hard I think is begging to cause a dry hit.

Our minds are perfectly synced in this regard. Exactly this.

The constant mantra of "super tight" on wicking mesh strips that started with the Profile is all wrong. Can't be loose either, but super tight is a deadly recipe for dry hits. Which was the bane of my life for a good while. Learned it the hard (and long) way.
You may have misinterpreted what I wrote. Although I didn't use the term "super tight" as it's too open to interpretation, that sentiment is what I was getting at. These atomisers need much more cotton in them to wick properly than one would think (when comparing them to how regular coils are wicked). Too much is obviously too much but based on the numerous messages posted here on the subject, most people who are struggling to wick these tanks are using too little.
That's why I went for the Wotofo cotton on my first build last night rather than using the stuff that came with the Geek Vape strips. Just seemed far too thick and, considering cotton expands, you need some room under the coil for the juice to get in so compressing the fibres together too hard I think is begging to cause a dry hit.
I could be wrong but I feel that the cotton actually collapses when saturated rather than expands. This is why the sprung deck makes such a difference on these atomisers as it keeps the collapsed cotton pressed against the mesh above it. You get that horrendous dry hit feeling when the mesh and cotton aren't in contact.
The wotofo cotton is really good as is 3/4 of a strip of CBP. The garbage cotton that Geekvape ships with the mesh decks is a disgrace. They ought to apologise for it!

I could be wrong but I feel that the cotton actually collapses when saturated rather than expands. This is why the sprung deck makes such a difference on these atomisers as it keeps the collapsed cotton pressed against the mesh above it. You get that horrendous dry hit feeling when the mesh and cotton aren't in contact.
The wotofo cotton is really good as is 3/4 of a strip of CBP. The garbage cotton that Geekvape ships with the mesh decks is a disgrace. They ought to apologise for it!

I'm rubbish at judging the right amount if I have to tear bits off which is why I never got on the the CBP so I'm much happier with the Wotofo.

I'm still considering whether to thin it out just a fraction and see what happens. The sprung deck is certainly good but I felt I was having to push down too hard on it to get the cotton through so I think it's a matter of trial and error so it doesn't over saturate for being too lose or give me dry hits going the other way.

I'm rubbish at judging the right amount if I have to tear bits off which is why I never got on the the CBP so I'm much happier with the Wotofo.

I'm still considering whether to thin it out just a fraction and see what happens. The sprung deck is certainly good but I felt I was having to push down too hard on it to get the cotton through so I think it's a matter of trial and error so it doesn't over saturate for being too lose or give me dry hits going the other way.
Yeah i found with the supplied mesh and wotofo cotton it wicked better if i pulled it through and back a few times which scraped off a thin layer.

Here's how I do it (copied from the thread in the general section):
Starting with 3/4 of a strip of Cotton Bacon Prime, I make my initial cuts:
SFbloym.jpg

Tuck the bottoms into the wick ports:
dOKAatZ.jpg

Prime with e-liquid (a yummy banana custard of my own formulation):
g6HBWMw.jpg

Fill and enjoy!
cpEknfQ.jpg

I don't bother with easing the wick in by upping the wattage in stages - straight to 65w with the airflow 1/3 closed, which is optimal for me. The whole thing takes about 5 minutes including taking the photos and the tank is wicking like a champ. Couldn't be easier or quicker IMO. Straight cuts as opposed to angled ones work just the same but I prefer having less cotton to faff about with personally. Both ways still leave plenty of cotton in place to reduce the air in the chamber and ensure that the ends of the mesh are kept in constant contact with the cotton (which is what I think they are there for).

Here's how I do it (copied from the thread in the general section):
Starting with 3/4 of a strip of Cotton Bacon Prime, I make my initial cuts:

------------

Is that 3/4 of the length or 3/4 of the thickness?

3/4 of the thickness. The length is entirely determined by the angular cuts I show in the pictures above. Straight/vertical cuts also work but I just prefer this method and it wicks perfectly for me.

3/4 of the thickness. The length is entirely determined by the angular cuts I show in the pictures above. Straight/vertical cuts also work but I just prefer this method and it wicks perfectly for me.

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Thanks.

No problem bud. I just re-wicked my other one funnily enough. A couple of minutes tops. That speed and ease of wicking is the best thing about these tanks, along with consistency I suppose, although that is very subjective. I prefer the variability you get from a good regular coil RTA as you can position the coils, alter the builds, optimise airflow, etc. which results in a higher ceiling for flavour to me. All very subjective though.

Back
Top Bottom