What's new

Would like to start to vape but very confused.

Francesco

Hello everyone, thank you for reading this.
I have been thinking about switching from classic cigarettes (rollies) to vaping to reduce my daily intake of nicotine gradually. I have had a look online and it feels like one needs a PHD in physics to be able to buy a kit comfortably enough.
I have decided to join this forum group to see if I can get sensible unbiased info and I hope I am in the right place.
My situation is as follow: I have been smoking regular tobacco for about 20 years, nothing mental, about 10/15 a day dependently on stress levels. I now feel it's time to kick the habit but I am worried that going cold turkey will prove a little too extreme and this is why I would like to eliminate nicotine from my life gradually. The couple of vapers I spoke with told me to start with a mod which takes at least a couple of batteries as anything else will not be powerful enough to feel like smoking which defies the object (I think).
Can anybody suggest a decent starter kit that I could use straight out of the box?
Also, is Amazon reliable in terms of article genuinity?
Is there a brand of liquid containing nicotine which has been proven to be safer than others? Where can I buy it?
Is liquid containing 12mg of nicotine advisable to a novice?
Ideally ,I would like to spend in the region of £50.00 but I am open to informed suggestions.
If you still reading this post/essay I would like to thank you again for your patience and I hope to hear from my saviour soon.
Regards
Francesco

It is confusing.. The hit comes from the juice not the batteries. I got more throat hit from my innokin T18 than I do now from a Tc150 mod and a whacking big dual coil tank... Because in the innokin I was using 18mg and in the big tank I only use 3mg. I found the innokin T18 to be an excellent smoke alternative, it has since been updated and is now a T22 I think. Buy your juice from reputable suppliers you will find a list of those on here if you do a MTL juice search . or just click some of the adverts around the edge of the screen, you will find discount codes for most of those too... Save yourself some bucks.

Aspire zelos kit, comes with nautilus 2 tank, would be perfect for your requirements.
As long as you buy from a reputable vendor, all liquids are as 'safe' as each other. If you want tobacco flavours, take a look at the Manabush range. And yes, 12mg would be fine.

Hi @Francesco and welcome to the palnet.

it sure can be confusing out there now a days and everyone gives different recommendations and your back to square one with so much to chose from.

there are 2 main types of vaping (there are more but we wont go there).

m2l, mtl, mouth to lung (just like smoking). inhale into mouth and then take down into lungs. this type uses much lower wattage so you can use much higher nicotine like 18mg which i started with. average wattage is between 9-14watts or about 20w with the new 0.7 coil the nautilus comes with.

d2l, dtl, direct to lung, sub ohming (big clouds). this you inhale directly to the lungs like a bong if you ever tried that. with this type a lower nicotine is best like 3mg or max 6mg at much higher wattage average 50watts upwards.

personally i would start with mouth to lung on high nicotine. something like this https://www.ecigone.co.uk/e-cig-kits/aspire-zelos-kit-with-nautilus-2-tank

i gave up with the original nautilus tank over night after a 37 year bad habit and have not touched a cig in 2.5 years. just look at my cig below to see how much ive saved and how many cigs ive not smoked. this banner helps as i see it on every post i make especially on stresful days.

also have a look through post 5 of this thread which has all our recommended hardware suppliers POTV Vendors & Recommended E Liquid Suppliers

Welcome Francesco :)2

The couple of vapers I spoke with told me to start with a mod which takes at least a couple of batteries as anything else will not be powerful enough to feel like smoking which defies the object (I think)

What you've been told is true - for some people only. For simplicity's sake, I would recommend an Endura T20 or a Joyetech Ego AIO to get you started. Neither are overly expensive, and they're about as straightforward as vapes come.

Last edited:
I know several people who have successfully switched from smoking rollies to vaping using either the T18 or T22 Innokin kits ... the tank and coils are the same, it's just the battery (mod) that's different, the T22 is bigger so it lasts longer.
Now that the TPD regs have kicked in, there's the T18E and T22E ... the tank is smaller than the pre-TPD versions and the coils are NOT compatible. I've had no problem sourcing the Innokin gear from Amazon for others.

Finding a juice flavour that you like and can use all day is critical to success, try various juices in a vape shop ideally in the same gear to get going. 12mg/ml strength should be fine to make the switch, you can then gradually wean your self down in nic strength, though be mindful of the fact that your body self-titrates the nic level it requires, so you can end up vaping more if you drop strength to achieve the same mgs per day.

Your initial target is to stop smoking, not to control your nic level ... that can come later. One step at a time.

It does take a little effort and will power to switch. Make the effort and you'll be golden.

I switch from rollies to vaping. The Aspire Zelos is a solid recommendation. You won't need a 2 battery device if you're happy with a cigarette style experience.

12mg will be fine, although I'd recommend you get some 18mg aswell, to see you through the harsher cravings.

This is assuming you go for the recommended Nautilus type set-up and not a sub-ohm rig.

Great advice here already as expected. I'm going to recommend the aspire pockex. It's what kicked my 30 a day habit and in fact, it's my take out vape. Small, light, inconspicuous and very easy. Check out video reviews on YouTube.

When I'm at home I'll use my coolfire and my alien. Regards juices I use vapeclub.

All the best and well done

Wow, thank you so much everyone for getting back to me so promptly. Well, I guess it has to be between the Aspire Zelos and the T22e Innokin with the latter being, on average, £15.00 cheaper. Reading the specs of both models I would have a few more questions, I hope you guys will not mind. Would the fact that the Aspire has adjustable wattage up to 50 means that I would have the choice between MTL and DTL? Or are there two entirely different types of engineering behind the two smoking experiences? I certainly wouldn't mind to spend the extra money if I should get the option to decide what my vamping style is going to be from day 1. By your comments I also seem to understand that the tank is quite relevant in terms of quality and Nautilus 2 has popped up a few times, am I right to think so?
Thank you again for all your helpful replies

Back
Top Bottom