What's new

worried about the Popcorn Lung diacetyl rumour (please read)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww Worzel, Zippy and George are not scary lol. They all made me laugh as a child. Don't know who the other one is. I tell you who WAS scary. In the early 1970s there was this programme called "Finger Bobs" where this big bloke with a big dark beard and white kaftan used to sit in a white room playing with finger puppets!

Aww Worzel, Zippy and George are not scary lol. They all made me laugh as a child. Don't know who the other one is. I tell you who WAS scary. In the early 1970s there was this programme called "Finger Bobs" where this big bloke with a big dark beard and white kaftan used to sit in a white room playing with finger puppets!

OMG Fingerbobs was amazeballs, not scary at all!

What IS scary tho and more appropriate to this thread ;) is that the popcorn lung crap is doing the rounds on FB again - only yesterday I had two 'well meaning' friends sharing it with me :mad:

OMG Fingerbobs was amazeballs, not scary at all!

I was scared of Yoffi the man with the beard. He's not got a kaftan on in this tho. I looked for photos and didn't see any of him with a kaftan on either. Maybe he wore it just once and it stuck in my mind.

This series could only have been made in the 1970s lol.

What IS scary tho and more appropriate to this thread ;) is that the popcorn lung crap is doing the rounds on FB again - only yesterday I had two 'well meaning' friends sharing it with me :mad:

I had a funny dream early this morning that I was at some concert, with an (unidentifiable) friend ( like a character, someone who is not in your life in the waking world) and in the distance I saw that someone had lit a cig. So I mentioned it to my "friend" who then took out a box of cigs from his pocket, lit it and started smoking! I remarked that smoking inside was illegal now, and he rambled on some sort of reply I don't remember but along the lines of not to worry about it. I'd left my e cig at home but testily replied that if they were now allowing smoking again they should allow vaping as well. Then a guy came and sat next to my friend ( friend of his but someone I didn't seem to know well) and lit up a smoke as well. By now the smoke was drifting over me and it started to bother me. I was trying not to breathe it in and waving my hand in front of my face. The other man held out a cig to me and I said " No thank you. I do not smoke , I vape!" The man shrugged and put the cig away. They sat and smoked and nobody told them off. Weird dream hey!

and this is exactly why i started it in the first place.
almost all vapours know its bollox but its the unsuspecting public and a lot of them smokers that keep bringing this up.
if only we had a platform in the press where we could freely report the actual truth and it get printed in the papers. if only.

and this is exactly why i started it in the first place.
almost all vapours know its bollox but its the unsuspecting public and a lot of them smokers that keep bringing this up.
if only we had a platform in the press where we could freely report the actual truth and it get printed in the papers. if only.

Yeah - when faced with misconceptions the only thing you can do is provide pointers at the truth of the matter. I don't take FB garbage too seriously, people share rubbish without giving a second thought to the veracity of the stuff they're spreading. When I get crap about passive vaping and similar shite on my timeline I just link the blog I wrote concerning vaping myths https://www.lunar-vape.com/2017/05/12/cloud-busting-1/?ref=2&v=79cba1185463 and politely ask the misguided sharer to please stop digging up old false horror stories and try sharing some facts instead ;)

Yeah - when faced with misconceptions the only thing you can do is provide pointers at the truth of the matter. I don't take FB garbage too seriously, people share rubbish without giving a second thought to the veracity of the stuff they're spreading. When I get crap about passive vaping and similar shite on my timeline I just link the blog I wrote concerning vaping myths https://www.lunar-vape.com/2017/05/12/cloud-busting-1/?ref=2&v=79cba1185463 and politely ask the misguided sharer to please stop digging up old false horror stories and try sharing some facts instead ;)

While the FB posts are clear scaremongering, to say that diacetyl is harmless is also false. It is known that diacetyl is harmful to the lungs and I would advise against vaping it. Vaping has only been going on for a few years and so the data right now is inconclusive, although it tends to show it represents a much lower risk than smoking.
Comparing quantities of diacetyl in "e-cig cartridges", which is how they did it in the study that caused this storm in a teacup, most likely means they were not testing custard flavours on an RDA with .15 Ohm coils. The amount of vapur produced by these types of deices is many orders of magnitude greater than some shitty barlites pen.

Vaping itself is not harmless; only breathing clean air is harmless. We should all be mindful of the fact that while vaping is far less harmful to your lungs than smoking, it still isn't good for you: it's just better than smoking. I'm not saying don't vape, I love vaping, but minimising risk by not consuming chemicals known to be harmful surely makes sense.

While the FB posts are clear scaremongering, to say that diacetyl is harmless is also false. It is known that diacetyl is harmful to the lungs and I would advise against vaping it. Vaping has only been going on for a few years and so the data right now is inconclusive, although it tends to show it represents a much lower risk than smoking.
Comparing quantities of diacetyl in "e-cig cartridges", which is how they did it in the study that caused this storm in a teacup, most likely means they were not testing custard flavours on an RDA with .15 Ohm coils. The amount of vapur produced by these types of deices is many orders of magnitude greater than some shitty barlites pen.

Vaping itself is not harmless; only breathing clean air is harmless. We should all be mindful of the fact that while vaping is far less harmful to your lungs than smoking, it still isn't good for you: it's just better than smoking. I'm not saying don't vape, I love vaping, but minimising risk by not consuming chemicals known to be harmful surely makes sense.

No one is claiming that diacetyl or vaping is 'harmless' - only that the claim that vaping causes 'popcorn lung' or bronchiolitus obliterans is untrue. As I pointed out in my blog the vaping industry had already taken steps to reduce, or completely remove, diacetyl from e-juices in response to Farsalinos' findings regarding the flavouring - and that was before the media picked up on the popcorn lung story. Furthermore there have been no cases of bronchiolitus obliterans directly attributed to vaping as the cause.

No one is claiming that diacetyl or vaping is 'harmless' - only that the claim that vaping causes 'popcorn lung' or bronchiolitus obliterans is untrue. As I pointed out in my blog the vaping industry had already taken steps to reduce, or completely remove, diacetyl from e-juices in response to Farsalinos' findings regarding the flavouring - and that was before the media picked up on the popcorn lung story. Furthermore there have been no cases of bronchiolitus obliterans directly attributed to vaping as the cause.

I'm not trying to get into an argument :) I just wanted to point out that this chemical is harmful, and it is still present in a lot of vape juices worldwide. I think it's banned in the UK but I stay away from a lot of custards as the market is still largely unregulated.
Imagine you were vaping a harmful chemical, it's going to take many years for the effects to be known, so it's best to avoid what we know to be harmful. Wrt BOS, we will never be able directly to attribute any case vaping, in the same way we can never attribute lung cancer to smoking. It's only in the study of populations that these relationships are found, and that could take decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom