What's new

What am I doing wrong?!

Kate4567

Initiate
Hi,

Am hoping you knowledgeable vapers can tell me where I'm going wrong...

Used to smoke around 20 a day Marlboro Gold but got myself a cheap pen (Vapemate Flare). Messed about with some different liquids and clearomisers, settled on an Innokin Iclear clearomiser (came with 2.1 coil) and gave up smoking nearly three weeks ago.

Tried a couple of Vapemate juices but they made me feel pretty rough, thought it might be a PG sensitivity so discarded them. First 10 days or so were great. Was using Lemon Tart 50/50 at 12mg, all good. Although battery seemed to run out quickly from the start, assumed this was because it was a low power pen.

Flavour started to disappear but I was already prepared for Vaper's Tongue and had an alternative on standby, new clearomiser and coil for Strawberry Milkshake by Vampire Vape 12mg 60PG/40VG, all good for a few days but lost the flavour again. Worse still - throat hit begins to disappear too.

Tried the Lemon Tart again, no luck, changed the coil but still no good. Ordered Hangsen Vanilla Custard at 70PG/30VG. Started okay but, again, flavour has disappeared really quickly and lacking on throat hit.

Not sure whether to go up to 18mg, try nic salts or admit defeat?! Been looking at better kits but, until I know what I'm doing wrong, I'm not really sure what to get.

Just to add, I can't get to a B&M shop in the near future and also have a slight allergy to menthol flavours so can't reset my tastebuds with that.

Thanks for reading if you got this far and, please, someone tell me what I'm doing wrong :17:

I think it's a combination of things. Better kit would probably help a little.

You're on the right track for throat hit with going higher pg and a higher nic content might help too.

As for the flavour. I am similar in that if I vape the same flavour for a period of time I lose the taste. I've always got a few different flavours on the go and swap throughout the day to keep the taste there so an extra tank or 2 would help with that.

If you do get a new mod and tank you might find that the throat hit is too much with the 70pg 30vy juice so it would be good to have a couple of other juices in different ratios at hand. A better mod and tank will give you more vapour so will enhance both throat hit and flavour.

Losing flavour and lack of throat hit at three weeks in is normal.
Your taste buds will be shot from smoking for a while after you stop so just keep mixing it up a little and it will sort itself in good time.
Getting used to the throat it is also quite normal and will also find it's way back in due course.

Picking up a more substantial mod at this stage will pay dividends as you've got used to vaping by now and although the iclear tanks are pretty good it's likely to have an alternative thread being designed for pen type batteries.
Innokin have a couple of decent tanks out atm the zlide and zenneth which can also be picked up as a kit with the mod.

Well done giving up smoking and welcome to potv.

Thanks so much for the detailed replies and advice, good to know the loss of flavour and throat hit is a normal part of switching over. I'm switching between flavours more now, so hopefully that will help.

Leaning towards the Innokin Adept and Zlide tank, as that seems to be the right sort of thing for me (I think!) Just a little confused that it comes with a pre-installed 0.48 Z coil and a 1.6 Z coil as a spare. Its sold as a MTL kit but I thought coils below 1 were sub-ohm and more suited for DTL, have I got that wrong?

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it!

I still have the 0.48 ohm coil that came with the zlide, I only used the 1.6ohm coils.
The adept zlide is a gòod choice for mtl also theres a 0.8ohm coil and soon will be a 1.2ohm coil available aswell.

As above its a good choice.
The latest mesh coils are blurring the lines between mtl and dtl.
Just use the 1.6ohm coil as it will be closer to what youre used to.

Thanks so much for the detailed replies and advice, good to know the loss of flavour and throat hit is a normal part of switching over. I'm switching between flavours more now, so hopefully that will help.

Leaning towards the Innokin Adept and Zlide tank, as that seems to be the right sort of thing for me (I think!) Just a little confused that it comes with a pre-installed 0.48 Z coil and a 1.6 Z coil as a spare. Its sold as a MTL kit but I thought coils below 1 were sub-ohm and more suited for DTL, have I got that wrong?

Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it!

I would absolutely recommend the Adept kit.

It's MTL whichever coils you use.

yes the sub-ohm = DTL is a massive over simplification that no longer really applies unless you are vaping on a mech/fixed voltage set up.

Thanks all! Have learned more on in here in 24 hours than in weeks scouring the internet :clapping:

Meant to be working now so am going to re-read everything again tonight. Just popping in to say the Adept kit is arriving tomorrow, can't wait!

Never "admit defeat". There is so much kit available now it can be a minefield for a new vaper trying to find what works best for them. But there is a ton of excellent gear out there and there is a perfect setup out there for everyone. It can take some trial and error but persevere and use the great resource that this forum is and you'll get to where you want to be in no time at all.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on kicking the stinkies.

I heartily recommend the Adept kit. Even the lower resistance coils are good for a looser more rowdy MTL. Not my bag though those ones. I personally favour the 0.8 Ω,but the supplied 1.6 Ω are also goodand would give you a decent throat hit with a higher PG content liquid. Seriously mate, this set up is a cost effective and capable kit. I’d be surprised if you didn’t like the quality of vape it can give you compared to what you have been using. Above all though, even if that isn’t a good fit, don’t give up! There will be something out there that hits the spot. And even a bit of vaper’s tongue has got to be better battling through than the ashtray gob of nasty corporate cancer tubes. Keep going buddy. You’ll get there [emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom