What's new

Restrictive DL RTA with AFC

Lung Redemption

Postman
Now i've been blasting away on the MTL route for a while and had the chance to try a couple of sub-ohm tanks with more restrictive air flows i've found my vaping needs really aren't requiring a MTL type so much as a distinct throat hit. I've been vaping away mostly on 3mg(70 or 80 VG) juice now and whilst i hit it heavily sometimes, it's hitting the spot just fine.

I'd love to hear some suggestions on restrictive RTAs (not MTL specific), ideally with AFC (so i can close down the air intake as i feel is needed).

I've been puffing away on my old girls 0.8ohm sub starter kit (it's a little airy, but not too much - also has a high ohm option but we don't use that) and tried a few tester sample vapes in the local store(closed off the AFC control for a tighter draw, that were sub-ohm tanks and high VG juices) and found the thing that mattered most was throat hit, not so much the need to draw in the vape and take it down(ie. MTL).

I've been eyeing up the Dead Rabbit RTA and OBS Nano or Engine II, but seeing as i like some what restrictive hits and i'd probably prefer to keep the ohms higher than most people building on these tanks, i'm not sure if that's really going to suit me, what do you think?

Open to hearing your thoughts.. :)

I usually do a lung hit on fairly tight mtl tanks, personally.

But have you thought about something like a kayfun 5, or a taifun 3? Both are fairly airy on the loose setting, much more so than true mtl tanks, yet still have the solid design and sensibilities of a nice mtl tank.

I've been largely lung hitting on my Siren 2 recently(suits the juices i'm using), but thinking about opening my options up a little with a sub tank that'll let me build for a more restictive vape so i can experiment a little. I've got a solid setup for the MTL side of things(i think) out of the Siren, but don't want to swing too hard in the other direction of getting something overly airy and not getting that throat hit i'll crave/miss.

For me it’s nic that provides the throat hit. I can puff 100% pg and not find it harsh at all.

Maybe the k5 or would be ideal then. Why not put up a wanted ad for a clone and try it out? You’ll prob get one super cheap, they aren’t expensive even still. It’s pretty loose, too loose for mtl, but not too loose, if you get me.

I'd rather stick with an authentic tank(for this endeavour, remove some variables from anything not going right) and i've found i can get all the throat hit i need on 0-3mg juice, pretty sure i could just stop the nic all together, but i don't want to run before i can walk. I do still vape 6 and 12mg(leftovers) on the side(in small doses), but i'd happily vape 3mg all day(i use more, but with the right shortfills the extra juice used is offset by the cost saving vs buying piddly bottles in bundles).

Appreciate your input thus far mate.. :)

As @zouzounaki says, take a look at the kayfun v5. I use a couple and quite like them. Used with the airflow fully open it gives a nice restricted lung hit with a bit of "slip streaming".

Edit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the clones.

As @zouzounaki says, take a look at the kayfun v5. I use a couple and quite like them. Used with the airflow fully open it gives a nice restricted lung hit with a bit of "slip streaming".

Edit. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the clones.
Absolutely agree. I have the sxk clone of the k5 and it's faultless .ive also heard that the sxk has a tighter draw than the authentic. There are also kits that can reduce the airflow even tighter. With that you can basically cover all bases with one tank A good choice IMO

Clones are often very good, if you buy from fast tech and look at the reviews and discussions you can identify any that have issues right from the start and rule them out. I’ve never really had a bad one. A pocket rta from gearbest wasn’t great but it was a gamble. Other than that I’ve had at least 10 that have had no issues. But obviously whatever is the right thing for you, mate. :)

The Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme V2 is a good bit of kit, even if it has been on the go for a while. It suits different styles of vaping.

Aromizer is out of my price range until someone shoves one under my nose and says "taste/try this"... looks like a lovely tank though. I'm trying to fish outside MTL waters(without switching sides of the pool) so i can experiment a little is all, but i don't want to pigeon-hole myself into MTL focussed/favourable builds(i'd like to play toward sub-ohm builds without playing fully into it).

Looking for a middle ground to play around in. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom