What's new

Not getting calculated Ohms...

Airman

Hey all. Shiney new so hope I'm in the right place.
Built a few Clapton's with 24/32 A1 Kan. 3mm ID 5mm leg. 10 wraps should get me ~ 1 Ohm. (Plan was to dual up but turns out 2 x 3s won't fit.). Said I'd check the figured but my tester (521) says the coil is 2.4 Ohms. I've gone through everything inc re charging. Am I missing something. (Using Vape Tool app & Steam Engine)

sadly the one thing i cant hep with as i dont build.
hang around as someone will be along soon(ish)

Hey all. Shiney new so hope I'm in the right place.
Built a few Clapton's with 24/32 A1 Kan. 3mm ID 5mm leg. 10 wraps should get me ~ 1 Ohm. (Plan was to dual up but turns out 2 x 3s won't fit.). Said I'd check the figured but my tester (521) says the coil is 2.4 Ohms. I've gone through everything inc re charging. Am I missing something. (Using Vape Tool app & Steam Engine)
Thats quite a lot of metal so you'll need to pulse heat it to get it to heat evenly before it's likely to read true.

0EFC7FB6-6546-4484-92E7-A4F5049CBCDF.png

Should come out about 0.65 for a pair.

^As above, u may even see the legs glow for a second the first time u pulse it

Ok. Didn't realize I'd have to break it in. Meh...just re-wrapped to 2.5mm. and took over an inch of wire off. It's sucking the life out of one 18650, glowing nicely but dull and after multiple shots is still reading 1.8
No panic. Just dipping into different coils & 'something to do'

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-05-08-22-51-57-86_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-05-08-22-51-57-86_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 38
Something isn't right somewhere...

I'm currently running dual 8 wrap KA1 24/32 3mm i.d. Claptons on a HOG V3 at around 0.47. A 10 wrap 3mm i.d. single coil will definitely be above 1 ohm, but there is no way it should be 2.4. The same with that 2.5mm i.d. coil - a reading of 1.8 is way too high. You seem to be getting a reading of almost double the resistance I would expect from those builds.

I would first check the legs are securely clamped by the grub screws (check the screws aren't 'nipping' the edge of the coil leg), check the atty 510 is clean and the pin isn't loose - also check it on a mod if you haven't already to make sure you are getting a similar resistance reading on both the mod and 521 tab are similar. It could be your build tab is faulty (also make sure the 521 build tab 510 is clean!)

Bear in mind that 521 build tabs can only give battery voltage output to the coils - with a fully charged battery and a 1 ohm coil that is an absolute max of 17 Watts. If that 10 wrap coil you currently have fitted really is 1.8 ohms (which I seriously doubt) then your 521 tab won't be capable of much more than 9 Watts - you will die of old age before that coil actually glows.

Build tabs are good for glowing typical lower ohm DL builds and small higher ohm, thin gauge wire MTL builds , but they AREN'T any use for glowing high mass, high resistance multi-wrap coils - a single 18650 can't provide the voltage you need to glow that amount of metal, and build tabs don't have voltage boost circuitry so they are only suitable for resistance checking when it comes to large high resistance coils. You are going to have to use a mod to glow that coil - if it is a single battery mod it MUST have boost circuitry, but a dual 18650 mod is far more suitable.

Can touching the base in a certain way cause that instead of a short?

Also, looks a little messy up top, just a potential hot spot, and eventually Crispycritters or mr ripple will chastise u about using the wrong hole on the other side, (thats what she said), but neither of those 2 things would cause that much a problem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom