What's new

New RDA user struggling with flavour big time! Can you help..

Oooo nice a new rabbit hole to disappear down. Thanks, very helpful. I'll make that the next task. Does appear to be burning. I guess you need to be close to the air for flavour but you don't want too much power to burn.
iv not used the berserker but you mention the cotton burning could be you have to much Cotten in there so it’s packed tight and the juice isn’t wicking properly or the watts are to high think most MTL Vapes vape at around 12 Watts ish if the juice is %100 vg then it could be both if that makes any sense

@Saul Annett you could try adding a small amount of distilled water. It will help the 100% vg liquid wick and some say it does have an effect on flavour as well.

Have you thought about mixing your own liquids? It could save you a bit of money.

Last edited:
@Saul Annett looking at your pics I would say your coil is way too high, I know you’ve tried higher and lower but this is what I do, I wrap my coil legs up 2.5mm id aiming for 1.6ohm so I get a nice vape on a mech / pico squeeze, I can’t recall what the wire was it’s been in months but it looks like 30g 7/8 wraps. Install your coil then put your airflow insert in and push your coil down with the little tool until you’ve got about 1.5mm clearance between coil bottom and insert, remove insert fire coil and strum & squeeze until glowing nicely from the centre, I prefer contact/ unspaced coils in this rda, put your insert back in to check clearance, remove it again, wick with Muji, juice your wick stick your insert in and away you go.
Excuse the pics it’s a bit mucky.
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1539291041.666447.jpg
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1539291126.014798.jpg
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1539291192.046873.jpg

@Saul Annett looking at your pics I would say your coil is way too high, I know you’ve tried higher and lower but this is what I do, I wrap my coil legs up 2.5mm id aiming for 1.6ohm so I get a nice vape on a mech / pico squeeze, I can’t recall what the wire was it’s been in months but it looks like 30g 7/8 wraps. Install your coil then put your airflow insert in and push your coil down with the little tool until you’ve got about 1.5mm clearance between coil bottom and insert, remove insert fire coil and strum & squeeze until glowing nicely from the centre, I prefer contact/ unspaced coils in this rda, put your insert back in to check clearance, remove it again, wick with Muji, juice your wick stick your insert in and away you go.
Excuse the pics it’s a bit mucky. View attachment 175232View attachment 175233View attachment 175234
@andyroo thank you! It's not perfect by any means but it's definitely started to show some flavour by lowering the coil. I was nervous to as close as 1.5ml as I thought it might burn the insert but there are now signs of flavour so maybe I'll drop another 0.5 and see how I go? I also made a new 2.5ml coil which is running at similar 7 wraps about 1.5ohm. What wattage do you go for? I'm finding more flavour at higher, highest I tried being 16 watts but it started giving a burning taste after 2 or 3 hits so wondering if that's too high.

@Saul Annett you could try adding a small amount of distilled water. It will help the 100% vg liquid wick and some say it doesn’t have an effect on flavour as well.

Have you thought about mixing your own liquids? It could save you a bit of money.
Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I have tried every combination you can think of in terms of liquids. It's been a long old journey!

I am intolerant to a lot of the stuff that's added. I had assumed it was the pg and which was why I went to full vg. Helped for a bit but then the symptoms returned. So I found a place that did true 100% VG and reduced flavours and that did the trick though the vape is rather dull tasting. So I know that reduced flavours and completely organic flavours are both fine. the next experiment is to try organic but with higher Pg (as from what everyone is saying here it seems that might solve my dilemma)

The 100% VG organic stuff is expensive but delicious. In fact it was this delicious liquid that got me into the RDA idea. With a normal mtl refillable tank with pre built coils it tastes lovely for the first refill but then the flavour starts to fade. And switching flavours was a pain. So I thought an RDA would solve this. Little did I know it would be even harder to extract flavour from the RDA, I thought it would be the opposite as so many people rave about flavour in RDA's :confused:

I’ve never scorched mine but you might do if you are banging up the watts, if I’m on a regulated mod I’d be under 11 watts maybe as low as 8, that’s on 50/50 12mg juice usually Manabush and I favour the 2nd smallest round air insert, roughly 3rd smallest air hole. These are just my sweet spots they may not be for you.

I could be wrong but your coil looks squashed into itself which when you fire it wont burn even.

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. I have tried every combination you can think of in terms of liquids. It's been a long old journey!

I am intolerant to a lot of the stuff that's added. I had assumed it was the pg and which was why I went to full vg. Helped for a bit but then the symptoms returned. So I found a place that did true 100% VG and reduced flavours and that did the trick though the vape is rather dull tasting. So I know that reduced flavours and completely organic flavours are both fine. the next experiment is to try organic but with higher Pg (as from what everyone is saying here it seems that might solve my dilemma)

The 100% VG organic stuff is expensive but delicious. In fact it was this delicious liquid that got me into the RDA idea. With a normal mtl refillable tank with pre built coils it tastes lovely for the first refill but then the flavour starts to fade. And switching flavours was a pain. So I thought an RDA would solve this. Little did I know it would be even harder to extract flavour from the RDA, I thought it would be the opposite as so many people rave about flavour in RDA's :confused:

Whatever works for you, is definitely what’s best.

As for RDAs I’ve never found the flavour to be noticeably better than my favourite RTAs but again, different people have different preferences and experiences of this stuff.

I wonder if it might be helpful for you, in trying to isolate whatever it is you’re intolerant of, to try puffing some unflavoured liquid? Get a few nic shots, 100%vg, 100%pg and 50/50 and puff hose. That will immediately let you know whether it’s pg or flavour concentrates.

What are the symptoms you’re getting with the liquids that don’t agree with you?

@Saul Annett I think Zou's right - the best thing is carry on the process and see what works. I'd try those experiments in your tried and tested tank, so there are no other variables, first and then try again in the RDA ....... before you start spending a fortune on more kit? Good luck .... and keep us posted. :)

Back
Top Bottom