What's new

Is there any disadvantages from vaping at high voltage?

Mixsforplan

Initiate
I have been vaping for 6 months, (3 months for pod and then switched to coil building for 3 months)
At first as a vaper who started to vaping with the pod system, I'm familiar with the idea to set the amount of watts depending on the resistances. For example, let's say like 40 watts for 0.16 ohm factory coil or 15 watts for 0.6 ohm coil. After that, I switched to used the RDA with the regulated mod, and I sticked with that idea about Watts and Ohm for a while which usually gave me a really bad flavour from vaping. Moreover, many people in my country still stick with the idea that we should only vape at 3.7-4.2 volts only, so the build must be 0.25-0.4 for DL SINGLE RDA only which mean we have to wrap the coil just 4-5 times only and if we use the 30 ga fused clapton or something we should only vape around 20 watts.

However, one day I have dig into the Jai Haze video, he said that he vaped at 8 volts with 1.14 ohm coil in RDA with no problem which totally changed my misunderstanding about Watts and Ohm, so I dig more about the Ohm's Law, coil mass, surface area, and heat flux in many forums. As I have learnt about that I try to build the coil with many wraps instead. Boom!, now I found my RDA being more flavourful than ever.

Sorry for the long story, but it's just for to be clear on what I have known.

If I used this coil
-38*2 + 38 clapton ni80
-3mm inner diameter
-6.5-7 wrapped
which is around 0.9-1.0 ohm which need about 6.5 Volt to fire at 45 Watts, used with dual series battery 18650 box mod.
the questions are:
is there any disadvantages to vape at very high voltage like this in regulated mod as long as it doesn't exceed the volt limit of the mod?
Will it effects a battery? because I know that the only thing that draining the battery is the current (A).

PS. sorry for bad English, if you found any grammatical errors.

Last edited:
I usually vape at wattage mode but am sure someone will be along to answer your question. Welcome to POTV.

I usually vape at wattage mode but am sure someone will be along to answer your question. Welcome to POTV.
Actually what I meant is all in wattage mode, but when I fire the 0.9 ohm coil with 40 W the Voltage will only be up to 6 V according to the Ohm's Law.

Anyway thanks for replying.

I am running dual coils on the Blotto coming out at 0.14 ohms running at 60 watts and Voltage is 2.48.

Farsalinos' study from back in something like 2014 showed that increased wattage led to increased toxin production - especially aldehydes. His advice was to use higher strength liquids at lower wattages and to vape less frequently than reducing nic and vaping more often or increasing the power used.

The bulk of other research comes from dubious sources and nigh-on no independent work has been conducted in this area since.

It all remains safer than smoking, but on the very limited evidence MTL is safer than DTL.

the questions are:
is there any disadvantages to vape at very high voltage like this in regulated mod as long as it didn't exceed the volt limit of the mod?
Will it effects a battery? because I know that the only thing that draining the battery is the current.

No, there's no disadvantage, it's what the electronics are designed to do. That's one of the advantages of using a regulated mod in that you aren't forced to use the voltage of the battery.

No, it won't effect the batteries.

It's apples and oranges, you can't think about regulated mods the same way as unregulated.

No, there's no disadvantage, it's what the electronics are designed to do. That's one of the advantages of using a regulated mod in that you aren't forced to use the voltage of the battery.

No, it won't effect the batteries.

It's apples and oranges, you can't think about regulated mods the same way as unregulated.

Thanks for your reply Simon, so it means that there is nothing wrong with my set up right?
Anyway, I still don't understand why people keep going so low on resistance, since we still can receive same great vapour production, and flavour in lower amperage by using the higher resistance coil.

Farsalinos' study from back in something like 2014 showed that increased wattage led to increased toxin production - especially aldehydes. His advice was to use higher strength liquids at lower wattages and to vape less frequently than reducing nic and vaping more often or increasing the power used.

The bulk of other research comes from dubious sources and nigh-on no independent work has been conducted in this area since.

It all remains safer than smoking, but on the very limited evidence MTL is safer than DTL.
Thanks for your information Mawsley, I've read those research too, but I still love DL anyway :18:

The real disadvantage vaping higher watts is you use more liquid. With a regulated mod The chipset will boost or buck the voltage to get the wattage required. A none regulated mod works differently, it uses the coil resistance to pull the power needed from the batteries, get it wrong and you could get hurt, the battery will explode.

Thanks for your reply Simon, so it means that there is nothing wrong with my set up right?
Anyway, I still don't understand why people keep going so low on resistance, since we still can receive same great vapour production, and flavour in lower amperage by using the higher resistance coil.

No nothing wrong, 45 Watts used with dual battery regulated mod isn't anything to worry about and the resistance is pretty irrelevant.

The whole 'low resistance' thing comes from people using mechs and wanting high power and people using large 'fancy' coils, which because of the amount of metal have naturally low resistance. I dunno man, I'm not the right person to answer why because I'm not one of those people, I'm never drawing more than a few amps.

Back
Top Bottom